Howeling help from the guys who know please

moses man

Wiley E. or whom ever can help me . I consider myself a fairly competent caller . Howeling is becoming very productive for me as well . BUT , A few times now , I have howeled in a single or some times multiple coyotes . The problem is they are hanging up . This is not a wind problem . The wind on all these Sets has been in my favor . I know they have not busted me , as they just sit out there as if looking for the coyote making all the noise . When they do this , I stay still , and quiet . as they have been fairly close .How do I get these coyotes to come in? Distress sounds seem to run them off . Even mouth squeaks . The pup in distress keeps them around , but they wont come closer.I have called this area many times , and the only time i even see a coyote is when I howel them in . I am sure im dealing with very educated coyotes . The area I am calling gets alot of pressure from rookie callers . Have any Ideas?? Thanks in advance Jerry .

I dont mean to be a smart-alek...

but are you using a shotgun or a .17rem or some other short range "machine" ?

otherwise, it sounds like you're doing everything right except for squeezing the trigger on em....

once the pups are out doing their own thing (like late july or so), a whole new batch of "un-educated" coyotes will come charging in like the good old days !

What are you using as a eye-candy ? (aka decoy ?)

Robb

------------------
"Happiness... is a Target-Rich Environment"

paws2.gif

Jerry,
Sounds like your coyotes have become wise to the ways of callers. Even the pups which are born to these educated coyotes will be harder to call this fall. The pups learn from their parents. Try entering your calling area from a diffrent route, and call from a different location. Tell us a little bit about the terrain where you hunt. Is it open country, thick brush, timber country?

------------------
pmcatsig.GIF

Jerry, you might give this a try, it's been working for my son and me. We adjust the band on our howlers up to raise the pitch to simulate a small young coyote which should be less intimidating to the resident coyotes. We set up a short distance from each other and challenge bark-howl at each other in short low volumn bursts. Curiosity probably is a factor but they do come in in full aggressive mode.

Guys thanks for your replys . Now to answer your questions . I am useing an A.R.15 16 inch shorty . I can problbly hit them but its just pissin me off that i cant get them to come in closer. as far as decoys . I am useing the decoy heart . I would really love to have a full mount coyote, but havent gotten around to it yet . As far as the approach , I have tried that and it works as far as getting them to come in for a look . what i was lookin for was a trick that someone knows to get them a little more interested once they show up . When i use a distress sound , I have no problem getting coyotes in as close as a few feet . But the howeler always seems to bring them in but not always where i want them I.E. in close . the terrain i am callin is eastern washington, Lots of sage . and rolling hills . mostly short range stuff . Once in a while ill have to take a 300 yrd shot , but that is very rare. well guys thanks for the input . If you think of anything else please let me know .. Thanking you in advance Jerry .

Moses, If you can part the Red Sea, you can kill those coyotes. LOL! Little satire there!

You just have to find their weakness. First of all, I only call a short series every 3 minutes. I think too much calling satisfies their curiousity and allows them to pinpoint you more accurately. What I describe here is the situation in the area that I call while using hand calls. Electronic calling in heavier cover with the caller placed away from you may be an entirely different story.

I use two howling sequences then I break into distress calls. In the situation that you are describing, I would try a light bird distress cry. I also find very few refusals with hand squeeks. Are you sure they are not seeing you moving or catching a scope glare? Both will hang them up just out of rifle range as will continual calling with educated coyotes.

The other thing to consider is what Rich Cronk suggested. You may be calling from the direction that they expect to hear a caller calling from. Try backsiding them at a different time of day (morning vs. evening) and use a different sound.

Also strongly consider the "dog days" where nothing you throw at them will turn them on. Everyone that I know that does any amount of calling will have some refusals. Inevitable refusals are a harsh reality and there are no excuses necessary for this typical passive coyote behavior on certain days. "Dog days" have nothing to do with the sounds you are making and have everything to do with unpredictable, passive, "dog day", "lift their leg and go" coyote behavior.

I had a coyote hold up on me 2 days ago at about 200 yards. I was just getting ready to squeeze off when the coyote looked back over his shoulder. I fully expected another coyote to show up. The wind was blowing to the S/SE and this coyote was S/SW. About that time the wind switched to the S/SW and goodbye coyote. All I could do was cuss at the "downwind boys". LOL! Just when I start to question myself, reality slaps me in the face again.

Utah C, maybe I just stink real bad! LOL! Wiley E

Moses,
A couple times I had similar situations where coyotes just quite on me while howling. One day I just quit on them. I stopped calling all together and let them wonder why nothing was making noise anymore. They came on in at their own pace, but they came. Maybe just to pick up a scent of what they must have thought was a coyote that had left. I don't know. Maybe it will work once for you, but it takes a lot of patience to just quit calling when everything tells you to keep trying. Who knows, the next time I try it they may just leave and not look back. Such is the nature of this endeavor.
Ever hunt up around Ephrata? I have family there, but I never thought about hunting in that area. I may have to "visit" again some day.

Rick L.

[This message has been edited by Flatshot (edited 05-12-2001).]

Hi Jerry. As you know, I rely on howling a great deal. Mostly because every yokel around here with ten bucks and a breath of wind is running around sounding like a rabbit. The following seems to be effective in my area. What I do is pretty much the same as Rich in Mo., except I have to do it alone usually. I bring two openreeds and hold both in one hand and switch back and forth simulating two young coyotes badmouthing each other. I just try and piss em' off. Real short howls mixed with barks. They come in fast and sneaky sometimes so keep your eyes peeled. Have also had them "decoy" me. Or it appears that way at least. Sometimes I will have a coyote hang up out there aways, just looking around. Meanwhile his hidden buddy is comin' round the mountain. You might have tried this already. Works good around here anyway. Very common to have two or more come in.

Take it easy Dude, Curt

thanks guys , I am not over calling . The way I use the howeler is as follows . I will do a three howel series . Long greeting howel . followed by the two barks and a shorter howel , followed by a low pitch rising howel . then i wait up to an hour . it seems every time i have done this , a coyote shows up . its all in the wait . I have no problem waiting this long . As curt said maybe they are sending in a point man . and the other is waiting in the wings . As for the ephrata area . Man have i called in and taken alot and i mean alot of coyotes there . Its a great spot in the winter up on top by the palisades . You can see them coming across the winter wheat fields for a mile or better . I love when that happens. Well guys thanks for the tid bits to think about . Ill let you know what happens . maybe i can sneak out in the morning to try some new tactics . My howeler is growing moss on it . LOL thanks again Jerry .

You can see them coming across the winter wheat fields for a mile or better . I love when that happens.

Cut it out Jerry, you're making me misty over here. Ha!
smile.gif

Back