Question about hunting from step ladders?

NorthTexBoy

I'm usually tucked away in some brush on my nice padded stool, with my "perfect length for me" shooting sticks, but I'm wondering about a few stands that I have. Some of them I believe I could get more out of with a step ladder like some of you use. I've got a couple questions though, what do you use to steady your rifle, cushion your backside, and what type of ladder do you bring along (ex alum., fiberglass., etc.) Thanks, seeking elevated knowledge. Tim.

NorthTexBoy,
Desertfox's website will answer all your questions. If you follow all of his advice you'll do well.
The one thing, well TWO things I will stress are; don't knock it till you try it and it is very, very important to practice shooting off your setup once you make it. You'll learn how to position yourself and what way to point the ladder to best cover the area.
I've killed a bunch off of mine, as in alot of places it's the only way you can hunt the area, so you are most likely calling virgin territory.

DRam and Ranger... all the ladder pages are gone from that site, DesertFox was getting too much Moron-Mail from it. I dont leave home without the camo ladder in my truck.

General consensus:

Wooden 6 ft step ladder is best. (no taller than your willing to fall from though, haha )

Most sit, but I stand (like youre paintin the house) and shoot offhand
Michael has a pretty neat swivel seat and shooting rest.

Yes you can shoot a magnum-load shotgun safely from up there. Shotgun is my main arm of choice, so I know...

Make sure the ground is solid before/as you climb up there. Try to back up against a tree if you can but NOT 100% necessary.

Coyotes dont expect you that high up and will run right in under you no problems.

Dont lose the leg-keepers that snap the legs together in the folded position, as they make for quiet transportation.

-===========================
Still the best 25$ I spent on calling gear yet was on that ladder.

OK, since all the pages are gone can you help me build one...and everything else I need to know?
pictures of the ladders?

My neighbors and everyone else might think I'm crazy but hey, if I can get more yotes I get more yotes.

AlphaDog

Here's a short instructional video from Stik Hunter.

i think Robb has another one.

fdd8f735.gif

Ahh, I didn't realize that DF had taken everything down. You might try emailing him from his link on the webpage. If you're lucky, he might let you in. Otherwise, there are some good instructions in the link above. DF also has some pictures on his page (they do still work) that might give you some insight.

Good luck.

If you can get up high and see over the brush when you are making a stand, you have a huge advantage over the guys sitting on the ground. I don't use a ladder, I do the same thing but in a different way. You can see the animals coming in from a long way out most times. At night you can see every move they are making. You don't know how many coyotes, bobcats and fox I've taken by just sitting on a stool sipping coffee and puffing on a cigarette 8 feet up in the air. It's almost as easy as fishing, they take the bait and you put em in the bag. By the way, I'd like to add one thing to this. I never meet a coyote, bobcat or fox that was ever scared of the smell of coffee or cigarettes. Good Hunting

Man, I gotta get me one of them 8 foot tall stools to hunt from. And coffee! I suppose if coffee doesn't bother them, cappuchino would be even better, cause they'd think I'm some kind of yuppie instead of a hunter. To think I quit smoking so long ago, might just have to take that up again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

A little customizing, that stool needs a cupholder and an ashtray and I'd be set /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I built one after seeing Michael's in Globe last year.

Painted it camo, got a swival seat and built a shooting stick for it too.

Haven't tried it out yet, but come season time I sure will.

I got a 6ft wooden ladder. Robb's advise is right on.

I've been on and off the boards lately so in one way or another I missed this thread. So, you've gotten some sound advice and some interesting cartoons (by the way I do not loose my head when I fall from my ladder. Falling is not a normal everyday thing but the last time I did it I had a few witnesses that could not keep it to themselves. Oh well its all in fun ..... I guess)

I like to use a 6' wooden ladder. Why? Wood is relatively inexpensive, has a natural sound, is much lighter than fiberglass and holds paint well. Fiberglass is costly and heavy but strong. Aluminum is light, but it is noisy (clunk, ping, ssssspp ting, raddle ..... unaturally noisy), cold, uncomfortable to carry and bends easily. They work, I know of several callers that use them but I don't care for aluminum ladders.

I believe in painting the ladder. Doesn't matter how you paint 'em just as long as you use a non-reflective natural colored paint. My friend Bill came up with an excellent way to get paint for his ladder. He went to Home Depot and asked if they had any flat return or misscolored returned paint for cheap. He got top quality paint for a song.

As Robb indicated, I sit on the top of my ladder. This does slightly expose you to the possibility of falling but I believe that trading a pinch of safety for increased time on stand and comfort is worth it. As Dogboy indicated, I use a padded swivel seat on my ladder. The top is much like a bar stool (a really really tall bar stool).

I use a shooting stick to hold and shoot my rifle. The stick is made from an adjustable aluminum paint roller handle (I used a stick/broom handle cut to the proper lenght for years) with a tool hanger attached to the top and a spike of some sort on the bottom. The spike is inserted into a hook eye screwed into one of your step ladder steps. This makes a loose joint that allows swivelling and tilting of the stick as needed. The forarm of the rifle goes in the tool hanger for a forarm rest. When not in use I snap it into some broom hangers attached to one of the leggs of the ladder. This system works wonderfully and I have not been able to improve on it for years.

Carrying the ladder. I simply fold it and put it on my shoulder with one of the steps against my shoulder blade. I've seen several people use a handle (Crit R) carefully placed so the ladder balances perfectly on the one handle. Bill uses a pad where the ladder rests on his shoulder to ease the corners. Whatever you do try to make it comfortable for you to carry for a couple hundred yards to your stand. Remember that you will have a rifle (or some sort of arm) to juggle, calls and/or an E-caller and a coyote or two to carry. Make the ladder as light and as simple as possible.

I usually try to find a tree or bush of some sort to set the ladder in. I also try to sit in the shade. This breaks up your outline somewhat but in truth I don't believe that this is necessary. A whole bunch of times I have simply put the ladder in a tall grass field or on top of a relatively bare hill. The coyotes still came and still died.

Another use for your ladder. Several people have seen my method of clearing a fence by placing the ladder over the fence and using the ladder to climb over it without touching the fence. I've had several ranchers comment on how they appreciate the fact that I never touch their fence while hunting. Also the ladder can be used as portable steps for climbing steep banks, like a wash side or a river bank. A ladder is a portable bridge. Several times I have laid it down over a stream or swampy spot to aid in crossing (I do not live in snow country but crossing thin ice is a natural for a ladder. Lay it down on the ice and away you go.)

Oh, here is something that "Rich in Mo" got me thinking about. The coyote is scared to death of the human outline. They can pick it up at suprisingly long distances. I have begun to believe that carrying a ladder breaks up your outline and the coyote will hold longer and be less likely to spot you as you walk out to your stand. Sorta like Rich's crazy cow routine.

Here's a picture of my Brother from last year's Deer season, we were using a caller and our ladders to call in deer, when JB whacked this nice bobcat as a bonus.

I keep my ladders very simple to reduce weight, but I do put some padding on the top (to keep rifle butt from klunking) and on the inside rungs where I slip my arm through to carry the ladder over one shoulder. Over the shoulder is the way to go otherwise in bangs onthe ground and drags through the brush. The padding I used is just some high density foam for putting under a vinyl roof on 70's and 80's cars. I just HD stapled it on there, no big whoop.

A rifle rest as Michael has mentioned may someday be an accessory on mine

deerJBbob12.jpg

You don't know how many coyotes, bobcats and fox I've taken by just sitting on a stool sipping coffee and puffing on a cigarette 8 feet up in the air.

C'mon, TELL already!!! How ya sit on a stool and get 8 feet up in the air???

That's obviously old-time Cali-style, because today it would be a cappuccino or espresso con panna.

Hey, that brings up a good question: Does frothed milk upon one's upper lip spook coyotes?

Back