CONIBEAR brands

GOOSEBILLY

Any favorite brands that anyone likes. Just going to stock up before the fall. All I was able to find locally was Duke. They worked for one season. Just don't know if they will last.

been useing this style trap for over 40 years, have probable used every kind made and they all work as well as hold up really good. the only to (if you find these they are probably collecotrs items now) that have caused any problems were the montgomery (just couldnt get used to the trigger bar) and the master killer, this one has a trigger that is blocked to be at the center of the jaw. advice, price shop, in this case the more expensive trap isnt always the best. you can use conventional dye methods but dont wax, or just spray paint with a rustproof paint. oh the ones i had trouble with were in the 110 size.

I use Dukes exclusively and have had great luck with footholds. I do have a couple of Duke 110 mags but have never caught anything with them. I would stick with them if I were you.

Dukes do seem to have the cheepest price, just wondering if they will last. I have had to replace the nuts and bolts on my duke #1 long spring, and had a few coon pull outs on my #1 duke coil springs. Size 1 1/2 CS has been good. I do have 2 160 conibears that are waiting to go this fall. A bought Bridger #1.65 CS and it seems way better quality than a Duke and didn't cost much more. Does Bridger make any conibears.

on the smaller traps most nuts and bolts are regular ones not brass to keep in line with prices, there fore they rust and need replaced. as far as coon pulling out of 1 coils, look at the size of a coons foot (especially the hind foot) and compare it to the jaw spread maybe you will be more able to figure out why the pull outs. i had a lot of pull outs on coon with #1 coils of all makes, went to #11 and have been happy since. by the way is used the #1 coils (6 doz of them) for about 4 years mixing them up in gang sets.

I used coni's exclusively with bucket cubbys and blind trail sets and the only ones I'd ever buy again are the BMI 220 Magnums.

Much stronger than the rest described and stronger than the reg. BMI 220. Don't know what size you need, but BMI are BY FAR THE BEST in my book. I've had Victor,Duke, and others, but spend the money and you will be happy. I hope you have strong hands....I compare a BMI 220 Mag to a Victor 330 in strength.

Just recieved 1 dozen Bridger 160's I ordered for box cubbys. The trigger dog is very heavy duty, the springs are strong, and when triggered they shut tight, virtualy no gap between the frames. I too have found only Duke products localy, get online and shop around, you can save alot of money.

Depends on what you are going after. I would get bridgers or bmi's for you basics. But if your plan on fishers, i would get some belise. Or get all belise if you have the money and no theft. They plain put a stop to movement. Good strong and great safeties.

I have never tried Bridgers or Belise.They both sound great! You may want to get some of these too! But I would NOT advise Duke. They make fine enough 1 1/2 coils for coons in drowner set, but that's it IMO.

if you go with duke's get the 110 mags, if 110's are what your wanting, they are a fine trap. you will find with any brand, they ALL NEED TWEEKING, as for the dukes lasting, if you take care of them they will take care of you, in other words, dont leave them in a bucket outside that will fill up with water and not be dumped for months or you will have problems, if you store them in a building you'll be fine. Duke traps are as good as any of the others out there.

As for losing a coon in a #1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, the #1 from ANY TRAP MAKER is TO SMALL FOR A COON /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif, unless the trap is put on a drag with a very looooooooonnnnnnngggggg chain, so when he pulls it the trap goes with him and not something solid he's pulling against. OR you change out the factory springs with music wire springs, then you will hold a coon in a #1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Last edited:
Back