Misting

Tom, you are correct. When I was researching the origins of misting for the Predator Xtreme article I traced it back to Rick Orelli and his partner Gary Thomas in 1963. I spoke to Rick again at the Calif. Predator Expo last July and he re-affirmed those facts. Incidentally, Rick has turned in proof of kill on more than 3000 coyotes to his chapters of CSVCA.

Weasel- I believe what I have in my bottle works. This is probably not what Rich uses (honestly I don't know all his ingredients and don't bother asking). I have combined gray fox, bobcat, coyote, and rabbit urine. I mist my call area, and where I stand/sit. I mist probably once every 3 minutes unless I have a coyote heading to my downwind, then I mist as often as I can.

The drawback is the awful stench that gets on my fingers some and my garage stinks something terrible.

2.gif

Last edited:
Rich knows this subject matter 100 times more than I do. I do what I do on account of seeing him do what he does and getting results. I would hope my opinion does nothing but compliment his on these forums.

I prefer to shotgun a coyote when possible. Because of that I tend to gravitate to stands where it is thick. In these situations the coyote can be quite close to me without presenting itself for a shot so misting is essential. For all I know the coyote has worked itself downwind of me. Coating everything in my downwind with a layer of confusion can only help me.

Camera work is the same. Whatever I can do to tip the odds in my favor and get that coyote within 20 feet of me will most oftentimes produce a few quality pictures. I make lot of mistakes and have to do something to keep the coyotes around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

"Thanks for the info, Scott. Too bad not everybody can contribute useful information."
Weasel that is precisely the info I gave you over the phone and info I have posted on this board numerous times in the past.

If no one "locally" has used it, maybe someone should give it a try. Who knows, if it works they could be the next Rock Star of the commercial predator hunting circuit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Just picture the fame. Your own line of camo wear, pheromone scented after shave, your own groupies and leg-humpers, energy bars with your logo on them, even apres-hunt lounge booties! Here's your chance. Get famous, everybody's doing it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Last edited:
Guys that are reading this post should remember that if it were not for some kind of stinky smell, that no trapper would ever catch a coyote, etc in a trap......Hummmmmm.....with the exception of a snare set where they go underneath a mesh fence.

this stuff is really simple.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to get a live trap and catch the dogs that are crapping all over my yard at night and early morning....then I'll take them to the pound.

I have been saving hoof trimmings, I mean toe nails for boiling and using as an attractant. What do you think that they are worth? I really don't have the nerve let my wife see me cooking them in the house, and I don't want to ruin my fish fryer.

Last edited:
Quote:
If no one "locally" has used it, maybe someone should give it a try. Who knows, if it works they could be the next Rock Star of the commercial predator hunting circuit.

Just picture the fame. Your own line of camo wear, pheromone scented after shave, your own groupies and leg-humpers, energy bars with your logo on them, even apres-hunt lounge booties! Here's your chance. Get famous, everybody's doing it.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks Nasa, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Billy the Kid, been a lot of inbreeding here, maybe it's rubbing off.

Also seen a lot of white sheets here of late, along with Red sheets and Black sheets and they all have what looks like merit badges. Wonder what you have to do to get a merit badge?

Bag a different kind of varmint? I need to move West of the Mississippi for sure...

LB is Leonard Bosinski. Owner-administrator of The New Huntmasters BBS, a premier predator forum. First administrator of PredatorMasters, handpicked by Will Craig, the founder of PM. A Member of CSVCA since 1968 and Hunt Co-ordinator of CSVCA for thirteen years. Like Batastini, a veteran of the marathon CSVCA predator hunts that often required 40+ animals to win.
Leonard and I don't agree about everything, including mist recipes, obviously, but when he speaks, I listen.

Quote:

Who is LB???

He is an older fellow that has a ton of experience with the inner workings of varmint/predator clubs, and calling predators both 2 and 4 legged kind.

He has championed the use of misting, which has proven itself to be a valuable tool in calling when used properly.

He hosts a website about predator hunting and general BS like most other varmint/predator sites on the web. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I heard he was writing a book. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back