Misting

The first amendment doesn't apply to sites owned by individuals. Therefore, we all could be banned for less than stellar reasons. Democracy is left at the door when you agree to the TOS.

I stated before that I used two cans of sardines per sock hung on each end of the truck. When walking out making stands, I hung out two socks about 10 yds up and down wind from me, and did some misting with a spary bottle. I shot 8 with a GP100 in 357 shooting 18.0g of IMR 4227 with a 125g Sierra. Shot a javelina with that load every year also.

I think that insead of misting all during the stand, a sock soaked rag hung up in 2 places would do the same trick, and you will not give away your position due to movement.

Most guys think that you are "COVERING" the scent up, but in fact, you are confusing a dogs nose and more importantly his brain. Dogs do not think like people do. Often a person thinks that a dog can distinguish 8 different scents in one snoot full. They may can, but the most important thing to remember is how they react to what they smell.

I have had to shoot more coyotes on the run, that will not stop while using misting. Many of them haul freight right up to the call on the ground and stick their nose to it, you had better shoot them before they stick their nose close enough to the call and pick up the scent off the call.

This whole thing on misting is combining old trapping techniques and varmint calling....nothing new at all. It is amazing that some of the trappers that visit this site has not chimed in on the discussion. I started misting in 1980 due to a trapper that I knew that used attractants to get an animal to the vacinity of a trap. There's really a bunch of scents that will work that you can get from a trapping supply, it's just that Sardines are very convient to use and buy. I don't think that you could use sardines in a spary bottle, kinda hard to get those little bones though the orifice on the nozzle. I have had great luck going to the Oriental section in the grocery store using just straight "fish oil".

You have to check your state regs to make sure that Misting is legal, in some states it is called baiting and you may not be legal without a trapper's permit.

I have also had good luck putting the attractant on a "drag" walking to the stand. I spray my feet and legs with Forget the Wind so that they do not pick up the scent off my boots and just drag the attractant along the ground that is clipped to my belt, when I get to the stand, I just hand the drag from a tree limb.

When using a "drag" you should always set up to see your trail. The coyotes will be coming in on the trot with their nose 6" off the ground with their eyes focused straight out in front of them, often with siblings in tow.

Ok, you have me curious enough to try it....maybe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Where do get a good misting solution?
Or do ya'll sqeeze your own rabbits & coyotes? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Is there different more effective solutions to use?

I was thinking about "rotted venison with a hint of scared rabbit, and territorial male with a touch of female in heat"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Ackleyman: Good post. I used the drag trick when i used to trap, sometimes i had to lure the animal to a trap that was out of site from road hunters and off the beaten path of my targeted animal. Also used it for training my coon hounds to follow a certain scent... For the areas i call now i don't have much use for it but its still a tool that could be used in other areas with heavey cover and you want to have some control on what direction you want an animal to approach from...T/A...

I used to use scents when trapping...

It was RANK smelling! I mean you didn't take the lid off in the truck. If you DID, it was days before the smell was gone.
Perhaps it was just days before the scent wore out of your nose, I dunno.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
To me it sounds like some sites don't want certain people to have the right of free speech. If not mistaken Leonard served our country same as me and we should be allowed to exercise that right.. We earned it!

Even free speech in a democracy can have its' consequences. I have the right to walk into a biker bar and tell this biggest guy in the room that he is a sorry no good so and so. When he mops the floor with me and throws me in the street, "I'll have earned it". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So what does that have to do with anything? You can say what you want, but you might not like what happens afterwards.

Quote:
Even free speech in a democracy can have its' consequences. I have the right to walk into a biker bar and tell this biggest guy in the room that he is a sorry no good so and so. When he mops the floor with me and throws me in the street, "I'll have earned it".

I did it a little differently when i tangled with the bikers in Grandforks N.D. First i would stomp him into the ground and as he was crawling for the door i would tell em what i thought of him and then give him one more kick for good measures... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
The first amendment doesn't apply to sites owned by individuals. Therefore, we all could be banned for less than stellar reasons. Democracy is left at the door when you agree to the TOS.

This is a true statement for the most part....But calling someone a liar or other names just because you think the 1st Amendmant applies is dangerous..

Kinda of like going into a crowded movie theater and yelling fire fire, people die from being trampled cause folks think there is a fire, and the yeller says, "I'm just exercising my rights to free speech", just not the case.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Having an informed opinion based on experience is one thing, reading a couple books and killing 7 coyotes in one year doesn't put you in a position to call another who's been calling for many years a liar cause he disagrees.

Even having great mentors who teach you what they know, doesn't put you in a position to call an experienced hunter an idoit because he has a different point of view.

Having a couple years experience calling doesn't put you in a position of "I know". I've been doing it for 12 years, nothing compared to many on this board. I still listen to all who speak the word, even if I disagree totally.

Pretty much common sense and some life experience attached.

But even if I disagreed, I sure wouldn't call you full of something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you have been around this world a couple days, you can pretty much tell if a person is speaking from experience, have respect for their experience..

This misting thing is pretty cool stuff actually, will I do it, I don't know...I really don't want to spend all day setting up decoys, misting, make sure the camera angle is correct etc.

Most of the time the coyotes just come running in for me, but if that should change this year, I'll sure think about misting and some other stuff... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Thanks Rich and Scott for all that info, interesting and pretty cool stuff... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

TA17rem, I know Leonard I think better then anyone on any of there forums. First off I went to high school with him back in the late 50s and early 60s and we both served our country. Back then, it was something we felt we owed our country.

Leonard is a good man and very knowlegable when it comes to predator calling no matter what others say or think, he hunted day and night.

He has competed against the best this country has to offer at the time. Him and I competed against each other on a few State hunts ( he never beat me though )lol.

We belonged to the same club for 25 years. Both of us have been predator hunting for more the 40 years each. We both know about misting and what it can do.

PS, I don't think I'd be calling him the mister master lol.

"Thanks Rich and Scott for all that info, interesting and pretty cool stuff."
Hey Dogboy. I haven't contributed anything to this discussion, but you're welcome just the same. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Weasel, misting just isn't necessary in open country with coyotes that are killed at the first opportunity. Not worth the hassle to anyone then.
Rob Meyers stated that it is a gimmick in his first post and then in his second post he quotes the great Jim Dougherty as using a perfume sprayer for his misting. Contradictions are common when discussing this subject.
Personal opinions vary with knowledge and expectations based on their requirements and experience.
Tyler and I rarely mist on contest hunts and we rarely don't mist on the other 42 weekends of calling.
Misting can be a great asset under some conditions and really not worth the hassle in others.
If anyone is interested in trying it just pm a member that understands it. If anyone is not interested why would anyone else care? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Your personal opinion doesn't offend me, Rob. Don't remove it on my account.
My personal opinion is that anyone who falls for a "gimmick", as you called it, is a sucker. Anyone who continues to fall for it repeatedly is stupid. The great Jim Dougherty is neither one. Nor are any of the very experienced and successful callers who have used mist for years.
Misting has been used in California since at least 1963. Marvelous longevity for a gimmick.

Somebody (Redfrog) needs to follow me through this thread as I edit my comments. I feel a mood swing coming on!
4.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:
Weasel, misting just isn't necessary in open country with coyotes that are killed at the first opportunity. Not worth the hassle to anyone then.

and I didn't say otherwise. Did I or did I not ask you the exact formula that you used so I could give it another go? Didn't you advise me on the specific sprayer to use? These keyboard experts need to wise up and know what they are talking about before spouting off.

In what terrain and cover did you use mist, weasel?
What technique did you use?
To what end-purpose did you expect of the mist?

Rich, wasn't misting invented as an aid to predator contest hunters? My understanding was they needed to extract every possible coyote from each stand, as time was of the "essence". (sorry)

Seriously, contest hunters couldn't afford wasting a chance at a downwind dispatch, so they needed something to stall the coyote for one last shot. Is my understanding correct?

Back