diaphram calls

ds2

I have a couple of hand held calls(cottontail,jackrabbit) but am looking for a good diaphram call so that I can go hands free!!! I have heard people using them and prefer the sound to that of what I can make on mine(probably because the guy doing the calling is better than me). What brand name and model do you guys use and prefer and better yet which ones would you recommend?

ds2,
Welcome to Predator Masters. I have never used a diaphram call for coyotes and such. But I'm sure there are some guys in the hand calls forum that can help you. I am going to post this over where you should be able to get your questions awnsered.
Once again, welcome
wink.gif
MP

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

ds2,
My own experience with diaphram calls tells me that either a single or double reed turkey call in the diaphram design would be as good as any for your purpose. Be prepared to practice a lot, because that is what it takes to master those little buggers.
smile.gif

First off, welcome ds2! Second... Mr. Cronk is on the money. I can make a turkey walk backward from a mile away, but now we are talking about a whole new game. Practice is the ONLY way to get any good at them, your wife will hate you but it is worth it. I am trying to master one now, I am using a double reed Primos. I would like to get a few of the Haydel’s reed calls. I have found that they are very versatile, and easy to control pitch and volume. I will try to keep you up to date!

I've got a Primos Ivory Plate diaphragm cow elk call that I can do a way better coyote howl on than I can a cow call. And I think with a little practice it should work for some kind of distress call too. It does make a rippin' good howl.

------------------
yotewalk.gif

If you aren't havin' fun, why bother doin' it?

Hey guys thanks for your help, I practiced w/ my old one (and I cannot remember the manufacture) until the reads tore. It was a double read model, w/ a raspy high pitch which is what seems to work best out here w/ these desert dogs!

Well, i gotta hand it to anyone who can call up a coyote witha diaphragm.

i've tried and tried, but i can't seem to get a good sound outta this thing at all.

All i get is a bad taste in my mouth.

Could be i'm using too much lubricant, i don't know.

This is the kit i bought. Maybe i need to try another brand.

diaphragmpto.jpg

Wow!! Looks like you've been trying to call in the wrong type of critter w/ that call!!!

[This message has been edited by Rich Cronk (edited 10-18-2001).]

Guys,
Be careful now will you please? A little fun now and then is ok, but we are getting real close to the boundry line here.
Thanks,
Rich

Edited due to bad taste.

You gentalmen are correct. I was pushing the envelope a little bit. To those that I offended, oops, just having alittle fun on a silly subject. I generally try to be good, I really really do. I assure you that I would not have gone here if I wasn't having some fun with a questionable subject.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael J. McCasland (edited 10-18-2001).]

Michael, this thread is being discussed in the Moderators Forum. Rich is a little uncomfortable with the direction, and asked nice.

You might refrain from further double-entendre, or edit, as it suits you; there are ladies that look at this stuff.

I know you wouldn't want to offend anybody, my friend; and apoligize if I embarass with this request.

Thank you.

Good hunting. LB

Michael J,
Which part of the word CAREFUL do you not understand? You have a lot to offer this board and I would hate to lose you. This forum is about hand calls, and I think you understand that you are out of line with your last post.

ds2,
You started a good thread and it just got side tracked a little. I believe that the subject is back on track now, so please stick around and keep us informed on your progress with the diaphram type calls.

Michael,
Thanks for helping me get things back on track here by editing your own post and all. I appreciate that.

OK fellows, can we just forget about the little minor infractions and get on with calling critters?
smile.gif

Encore,
I know exactly what you mean pardner. One reason that I quit using those things is because I was afraid I may choke to death if I inhaled the bugger. I have known a few guys who were very good at rabbit screams with a diaphram call, but I wasn't one of em.
smile.gif

I am with you guys on the choking, I had a gobbler sneak in behind me with out a sound, then let out a blood curdling gobble from 5 feet behind me. I jumped about a foot off the ground, and I was sitting! Almost sucked that reed right down the throat!!!!

Well I guess that like any other musical instrument, practice makes perfect, and having an "ear for music" kinda helps. The only problem I'm having is that what is music to the ears of coyotes is not to my wife. So I normally have to practice in seclusion!!! Oh the life of a predator hunter!!!

Now that we can concentrate on the question at hand, I will share what I know about diaphram calls, such as it is.

But, it is like trying to teach someone to whistle, they have to experiment with it themselves to find the sweet spot.

Tr to hold your tongue on the sides, up tight against your upper molars with the front of your tongue pressing against the back of your bottom front teeth. Keep your mouth open partly,and don't force the air all the way from your lungs, in fact you should more or less hold your breath as you sort of hiss between your front teeth.

See what I mean?

It's better to work on it yourself until you figure it out.

As it happens, I used a diaphram quite a lot while in Africa the past two weeks. I gave one to Lochi when I left town, and he tried it without much success, at least while I was standing there. In his case, he was blowing much too hard, something not at all necessary. It's not like blowing up a balloon, you have to control the exhale, something like if you were trying to get someones' attention by going "phsst" real loud. Here I go again, it probably only makes sense to me?

What I have been using for the past year or so are the Primos triple tone , they might be called th4e professional model or expert, something like that? I have used the Lohman predator in the past, but I got some of these from Bruce Kennedy when he was having a closeout. They are good, I'd buy more. In fact, I need to locate some, because I gave away the only two spares I had over in Africa.

Like they always say...."hope this helps?"

Good hunting. LB

Back