Advice on making calls

d2admin

Administrator
I just bought 6 predator call reeds on e-bay should get them in the mail by the end of the week.I was wondering where to start. I have a few deer and elk antlers sitting around and was wondering how to get started. Here's a pic of the reeds I ordered.
i-1.JPG

I was also wondering where I could get material to make open reed calls. My dad has plenty of bands, they use em on calves.Also is it pretty tough to make a wood call? I've noticed most people use antlers on homemade calls.

Thanks,
Justin

I've never done this before...but will prolly try soon, but I think they like the look of the antler more....In my experience (not in calls, but otehr crafts..) Wood is 100 times easier to work than antler or bone....they stink and are hard to drill/cut, and are more brittle than a good ol wood...

Justin,
If you have a wood lathe and are half way skillful with it, making predator calls should be fairly easy for you. The size and shape of the call is a matter of personal taste. Your photo shows several reeds in bottom row and the metal inserts which hold the reed in place are shown in top row. Hole is drilled inside the call for the insert to press in there tightly. The reed is then installed with a special reed changing tool. Reed change kits can be purchased from most any major call company.

Here is a quick way to use one of your new reeds. Take a .270 case and cut the base off. Tap a reed into the mouth and presto, instant call! Drill a small hole in the side to put a lanyard through.
smile.gif

Rich,
I don't have a wood lathe, I have ran a metal lathe at a machine shop.Where can I get a reasonable priced lathe, and how much $ am I looking at? Also about the reed changing tool, are these reeds worthless without one? Or can I use something else?

Curt,
I'll have to try that.

Thanks for the info guy's.

Later,
Justin

Justin,
You could make a reed changing tool from a hardwood dowel which is slightly smaller in diameter than your reeds. Cut it about eight inches long. Now measure 1" back from one end of the dowel and file a flat spot in there. You will end up with a notch in the dowel which is about 1" long. Make the notch just deep enough so that you can lay the tool down onto the thin metal leaf of the reed, and rounded portion of the dowel is flush with the top of metal reed. Reed is inserted into the call with this tool and pressed in to place without damaging the reed. Other end of tool is used to push the reed back out from opposite end of the call, so you will want to sand or grind that end of the tool small enough to fit inside the reed for about 1/2". If you can find a photo of one of those little tools, then you will be able to see what I mean.

jbrad, Look back for the topic, "Homemade Calls" 7-16-01. I think Jay Nistetter's post under that topic will help you. You do not need a wood lathe if you do not care what your call looks like. Use a section of wood dowel or antler. you can shape the mouthpiece by whittling, sanding or grinding.
bob

For wood calls you just need a mini lathe. My dad got his from Penn state ind. www.pennstateind.com

He got the carba-tec It's $275. It works great for calls. My only trouble with making call is drilling them once there turned. I have only made a few calls but feel free to ask any questions

Hello,
Wood Lathe? Watch at Sears. They sell a wood lathe that is a few generations younger than the one I used in wood shop. They are good machines, and you can find sales and such, where you get all the tools free when you get the lathe in a package. I think these days they are made by Emerson Electric, I have a radial arm saw made by them and I just love it.
Make sure that your first project is a bowl or little trinket for the sig. other. That way it wont be as obvious that you got a tool to enhance your predator calling prowess and outdoor craftsmanship. Unless she surfs the net and "lurks" here.
smile.gif
Women would not be that devious would they?

------------------
Safety,Ethics, Accuracy, Velocity, Energy-I am On the Way to the Arizona Predator Hunt!!!!!!

Back