learning how to howl

DANEO

I have not tried howling yet.I want to buy a howler that is is easy to learn and would like to be pointed in the right direction.What brand is the best for the beginer?There is a couple of good sporting good shops here in Boise that carry several differnt brands which is helpful.

Thanks Dan

Hey Daneo, I have a Primos megahowler, This howler can put out a lot of volume and it is not very expensive. There are a lot of different types of howlers and I have used a few. Out of the few that I have used, I found that I don't like is the Knight and Hale howler. I can't get the right sound out of it and I think that It is a little harder to use than some of the other howlers. They sometimes come with a instructional tape. I have pretty good luck at locating them.(wish I had better luck hunting them) The best way to do it is to go out and giv'er a shot. Good luck, Jason

Hey Dan I have had just the opposite luck with the Knight and Hale Howler. I have two of them, one an early model about 5 years old and the other is about 2 years old. The newer call is harder to use as they advertise that it was rdesigned to take less air to make it howl. I personally feel that hey screwed up big time. If you blow through it to hard it will not make a sound. If you would like to invest in a great caller I would suggest that you go ahead and buy one of Rich Cronk's cow horn howlers. You will be way ahead after you learn to use it. Pay once -cry once so the saying goes. If you start with something like a Sceery or equivalent for around 20 dollars or so you will wind up wanting to upgrade later. That will mean an additional 55 dollars.... See what I mean ? 55 verses 75...Howling isn't as hard as you think. Just get an instructional cassette and have at it. Good luck ,..James L.

I just ordered one of Cronks howlers and he includes an instructional tape if requested. I'll try and let you know how it turns out.

I have one of Ed Sceery's howlers. It comes with a video to tell you what you're supposed to do. It's fairly easy to use, but it's kind of hard to pack when I'm packing every thing else. Lately I've been using a Primos Ivory Plate cow elk diaphragm call. I seem to be able to do better coyote howls than cow calls. I've had coyotes answer the diaphragm howls several times. And I think I only paid $10 for it at an archery shop. You might look into something like that.

------------------
yotewalk.gif

If you aren't havin' fun, why bother doin' it?

Back