Any experience with BSA rifles??

lungpopper

Does anyone have information or performance,parts etc. on a BSA rifle(good or bad)I am looking at one in 222 but he doesnt know the model number(not on this forum,,private sale)thanks again

They should be "BSE"-- "Buy Something Else"...
I would honestly spend a little more money and get a scope with a good warranty. For under $150 you can get a Pentax gameseeker, nikon prostaff, or a leupold rifleman. I own the Nikon and it's a really nice scope. But I don't think you'd be disappointed with either of the three that I mentioned. You'll be doing yourself a favor by spending a little more cash. I wasted money on 3 "cheap" scopes before I decided to spend a little more money for a better scope.

CJG, He said RIFLE not SCOPE.

Now, If the rifles are built anything like their scopes, read what cjg said and replace the word scope with rifle. LOL. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Herter's used to sell them as their U9 model, I believe. They seemed to be pretty decent rifle, slightly more expensive than their J9 model which was based on a Yugoslavian Mauser action, similar to a Mark X, action. BSA, BTW, in reference to rifles, means Birmingham Small Arms. They used to be made in England.

For performance enhancements they can be glass bedded and piller bedded along with free floating the barrel just like most bolt action guns.

There's still folks inletting stocks for them, I believe Richards Micro-fit still does. They were as accurate out of the box as many of the rifles sold during that time period. They can be rebarreled if needed by any competent smith that does rebarreling.

Quote:
CJG, He said RIFLE not SCOPE.

Now, If the rifles are built anything like their scopes, read what cjg said and replace the word scope with rifle. LOL. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Whoops... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif THanks Lance for setting me straight. I had a late night last night and it must be Friday or something... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif All I saw was "BSA" and figured it was another BSA scope question.

Don't know anything about BSA rifles though.

I have a .30-06 and it shoots better than most high-brow rifles, it is a bolt action. I shoot from a bi-pod and 5 shots are clustered under and inch by an inch. The stock is thicker than you find on American rifles but it feels great. The barrel is also stouter than you find from Rem or Ruger or Browning.

Best regards,
chalmitch

Nothing wrong with BSA rifles. As long as its in good shape and the barrel isnt shot out. BSA even had a little Martini model.

CF2 model was a good one. I had it in .270, never a problem and good accuracy. The target models of the day were right in there.

They made pretty good motorcycles at one time too. Many happy times on a DBD34 Gold Star.

HM

Made quite qood motorcycles in their day!

Mine was a 441 Victor. Ah, what a machine it was too. Maybe a rip snorting 22 or so horsepower, would always start on the 1st kick. If not 1st, usually on the 10th or 15th or so. Always a few drops of oil in your driveway or garage floor to leave its mark. Lucas (Prince of Darkness) electrics, Amal carb and a vibration that would keep your dentist happy replacing all your shaken out fillings.

After a year or two couldnt wait to get rid of it. Now I wish I had it back. At least I could put some of those old Whitworth tools to use!

I don't think they have been imported fr a decade part of Clintons import ban I think. They were very good imports, from what I remember. If in good shape with good bore I would go for it. The 222chambering could be problimatic though, pay close attention to the chamber throat and the leade of the rifleing. Look for excess freebore.

Back