Sceery AP-7.....Is it just me??.

Savage

I have had the AP-7 for over a year and have had very little success with it. I like the versatility of the open reed, but it isn't a top producer for me here in Colorado.

Is it just me?

Well, I am sorry that it dosn't work very well for you. I have one and from the tone that it produces is probably the reason. The end is rubber and that muffles the sound to were you can't get a high enough pitch to cover a large enough area. Primos regulator 14 is made of plastic and produces a higher pitch. You might try it and see if it works better it has the same open reed mouth piece.

Good Hunting
Switchshooter

It's not the call in my opinion. Let's be real. Not trying to flame the last guy but I don't think coyotes are sitting in the treeline thinking "I don't like the sound of that rubber call so I'm not going to respond." The non-response thing probably runs deeper. You may be dealing with call-wise coyotes. Don't assume you are the only one calling an area. Even on private land there are no gaurantees. Many things make coyotes non-responsive. The quality of the sound you are making usually being very far down the list of factors. At least in my area. Many coyotes have been called with Sceery products. My problem lies not with the sound but the reliability of the calls. The AP-7 and AP-6, and even some of the closed reeds, lock up often. Much more than other brands. I can't remember my Circe closed reed ever locking. But the Sceery Jack and Snowshoe lock with monotonous regularity for me. Even in mild weather. The thing I like most about Sceery calls is the rubber body however.

The AP-7 is my top producing call bar none.I have called tons of coyotes with it.It is probably one of the most versatile calls a caller can own.They do take a little more practice than the standard closed reed calls but they are well worth it.GOOD HUNTING

UtCaller, take this as a compliment. YOU are very loyal Sceery fan dude. If I was CEO of Sceery calls you'd be gettin your choice of some new calls.

I like them too for the same reason Curt does.

I've been kickin fanny with that AP-6 lately, with that high pitched squeek it will make.

[This message has been edited by Dogboy (edited 01-09-2002).]

AP7 will hit the highest highs and lowest lows... right out of the box/package with no mods.

Just gotta learn to play it... (probably goes for most calls)

AP6 was my favorite until I learned the AP7

I have two calls on my neck day-in day-out, AP7 and sceery squeaker. (though I use my R.Cronk antler call with some occasion if Im getting bored)

Dogboy,Well thanks for the compliment,but my only reason for using the AP-7 is that it just flat out calls in coyotes.(alot of coyotes)The day it stops producing coyotes is the day I stop braggin about it.
wink.gif
Even when an area starts to get called quite heavy and the coyotes start to get educated(and believe me it happens big time in utah if you know what I mean)the AP-7 still produces when the others won,t.GOOD HUNTING

my circe cottontail and jackrabbit voices lock up quite often when I'm calling, and so does my JC PC1. could it be the metal reed?? my still cottontail from primos doesnt ever lock up. Perhaps the world will never know.

Jon,
If you are calling in real cold weather, the metal reeds will freeze up on even the best enclosed reed call. If that is what's happening, you will just have to buy an open reed call like maybe a Crit'r call standard. A lot of die hard enclosed reed guys are carrying three or four calls as back up when the spit freezes up inside the reed on one of em. Some guys even carry a hand warmer in their pocket and keep their metal reed calls in where it is warm. I hope this helps you.

no, most of the time I'm calling in 45+ degree temperature, when I do call in freezing temps, my crit-r-call locks up too.

Jon, you are the first I have heard of having a CritR-Call lock but maybe I'm the only one with a locking AP-7. LOL
smile.gif
I will say the AP-7 has good sound and is an easy to use open reed . If you have ever used an open reed the AP-7 is simple. The locking problem with it has been rare and I can get it going again on stand. The old AP-6 (without rubber) was junk. It would work for two stands if lucky, then lock for good till dried out. Sceerys excuse was his customers slobber too much. OoooK. The new AP-6 still locks with heavy use but you can get it going again by just blowing harder. Huge improvement. I have four sceery closed reeds. Two lock two don't. This is probably not a reflection on the call but the little metal reed "voice" contained within. I do like rubber armored calls. Quiet

Later

I've used sceery calls for years and they work great for me. I've called using the AP-7 in open country and seen coyotes (using bino's) come in for ower a mile so they are plenty loud enough rubber or no. I've also been using the same closed reed AP-3 for about 10 years or so and just replaced the reed for the first time. This call has produced more coyotes for me since I started using it than any other call. It took me a while yesterday, but I finally got a voice tuned to sound like the old one did. Gonna try it out Fricay morning!

Back