NEF/H&R Hornet

broknaero

What do all you NEF/H&R guys think about them? Pros and cons? I know they are cheep and only a Single Shot. Thats not a big deal. I have a new hunter who wants a Cheap rifle. Are the only Hornets available the ones with the sights? Hows the accuracy?

Thanks

i'd suggest checking in over @ graybeard outdoor's .com

they have a specific forum for nef rifle's..lot's "o' information over there..

The .22 Hornet is one of the favorite Handi Rifle caliber over at Graybeard's which has a devoted NEF/H&R membership that identify themselves as "Handi-holics".

The .30-30, .357, .44Mag and .45-70 all are supplied with opens sights. I believe the newer .45 colt Buffalo model is as well. Best to check the NEF web site for details.

All those calibers are considered the calibers most suited to the Handi rifle. The Handi rifles are capable and regularly shoot very well. Many, myself included, have several examples that will shoot consistent MOA. Some are capable of sub-MOA.

Some of the more accurate are the .223, .7mm-08, .270, .280, .30-06 just to name a few.

They are a tinkerers dream. There are many quick and easy ways to accurize them.

I have several Handi/Ultra rifles, including rifles in each of the aforementioned calibers. They all shoot very well.

I recommend that you check out the Handi forum at Graybeards and read the FAQ section. It is extremely detailed with just about any info you may want regarding the Handi rifle.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
Not knocking the Handi rifles but another good and cheap option is a Stevens if you'd rather get away from a single shot.

peace.
unloaded

Quote:
Not knocking the Handi rifles but another good and cheap option is a Stevens if you'd rather get away from a single shot.

peace.
unloaded

The Stevens would be a good choice. With the Handi rifle approaching the mid $200's and Ultra rifles nearing $275, the Stevens is not that far away.

I have one and it is a real good shooter. Nice and lite to carry. When I got it the iron sites were gone and it had a scope mount on it and thats the way I shoot it.

Had one. Accuracy was so so . Cases stuck in the chamber many times and would not eject. Maybe they have fixed this problem. Had the same issues with the 223 NEF that I had as well.

My Nephew had one in 223 and it would shoot lights out. But just like crapshoot's gun, it wouldn't eject the case. I"m pretty sure that MPFD is right about the Stevens not being available in 22 hornet.

Only one experience with NEF; .17, cases didn't always eject and 10% fail to fire (primer mark on case but no bangy). Dad bought a low-end Savage for a little more and it's got 800 rounds through it without a hitch.

If you've got a Handi that won't shoot, go check out Greybeard's. As long as the barrel is fitted properly, someone on there can probably tell you how to fix it. I think they were talking about needing to rough up sticky chambers with some fine sand paper or valve grinding compound.

I bought a new one in 243 that shoots ok, still working on breaking it in. I was putting rounds on paper at 350 yards last year in a crosswind, but haven't had a chance to use it lately. I bought a used one last month in 22 hornet and it's a shooter.

I like the rifles because there pretty straight forward. I also shoot my rifles left handed, and it doesn't make any difference on a single shot. It's definatley a one shot-one kill rifle.

had similar problems with an ultra rifle in 204. p.o.$hit in my eyes. went through more than a pound of powder(about 6 different kinds tried) several hundred bullets(about 6 different kinds tried), and never did get any better than just under 1" with 1 group. tried floating the forend etc, no better. the gun seemed to foul in no time and was really hard to get copper free. more patches and hoppes, g96, copper melt, barnes110, than i use on all my other guns in a year! i feel that needlebores should shoot under 1" with handloads . this gun left a very bad taste in my mouth for the nef rifle and 204 caliber. back to the duces and life is good. when i called nef to see what they would do, they said if its shooting 3" or less it is in spec!! off to the gun show it went. the guy that got it is real happy, shoots coyotes off his porch at 100 - 125 yards and loves it. i guess every one has their own standards. lee.

Back