Blue Dot powder?

I've seen loads for the 223/5.56 and 308 on 24 hr campfire. I use one in my 223 combo gun for fox. Google Blue Dot and Seafire, he's like the Blue Dot guru on 24 hr campfire. Always work up slowly when using Blue Dot, it's a high pressure load in a bottleneck cartridge.

I doubt it, Blue Dot is/was a great p[istol and shotgun powder twenty or so years ago, but has been surpased in that role by newer more efficient powders. Why don't you do this get a goos loading manual, or better yey several good manuals. And look your loads up? That is much safewr than asking for load data on the internet where you may get information that could potentialy be harmful even dangerouse

Quote:
Can blue dot be used in the following calibers? If so,
What is minimum and maximum?

220 swift
7mm WSM
338 Lapua

Yes, see ARCOREY post below and also refer to James Calhoon website for Blue Dot loads for all 19 Caliber and 223 loads.

www.jamescalhoon.com has worked these loads since the mid 90's. Calhoons loads were the inspiration for seafire to do the load development with Blue Dot that he did, and he will tell you so.

I have shot several hundreds of Blue Dot loads in 22-250, all 3 19 Caliber rounds, and the 223 with excellent results.

Get the facts from seafire. He can also be reached at www.accuratereloading.com.

Best wishes, Bill

Quote:
Can blue dot be used in the following calibers? If so,
What is minimum and maximum?

220 swift
7mm WSM
338 Lapua

Go to Accurate Reloading .com. Look up Seafires posts on Blue Dot. He has done a lot of load development on Blue Dot. He really knows what he is talking about.
I think my first post got lost in cyber space somewhere.

Enjoy

RTLOF(TONY) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

don't do it in the 7 wsm or 338 lapua.....
do it very carefully in the 223 and 308....
do not load it in the swift or anything else until you are familiar with it in the 223.... the 4064 you were asking about in another thread is almost a perfect powder for a 220 swift or a 308....

Blue dot is a pistol/shotgun powder..... you can use it to create almost the same pressure in a 223 with half or less the powder.... if you go up too much in powder charge it can increase the pressure very quickly and create a dangerous situation...
it can create a bomb in a rifle case and blow up your gun....
many use it in 223 type cartridges to use less powder and reduced loading velocities........ read the james calhoon articles....
I have used it in 222 and 223....
I would be afraid to use it in a hugely overbore cartridge like a 7wsm... or 338 lapua... i would be very cautious (or afraid) using it in "heavy for caliber" bullets in any cartridge...
blue dot is kinda fun to shoot with 40 or 50 gr bullets in a 223....

I've seen loads for the 223/5.56 and 308 on 24 hr campfire. I use one in my 223 combo gun for fox. Google Blue Dot and Seafire, he's like the Blue Dot guru on 24 hr campfire. Always work up slowly when using Blue Dot, it's a high pressure load in a bottleneck cartridge.

+1 Seafire gave me alot of good info.on Blue Bot and its fast becomming one of my favoright powders for my 223.check it out.

Yeah I have used Blue Dot in the .223 and .308. I use them for reduced recoil loads for my young sons in the .308. I have used a lot more in the .223 for reduced noise/recoil loads in their G2 carbine for practice. They give excellent accuracy, good(but not top) velocity, reduced recoil, and somewhat reduced noise. Plus I can get 550 loads out of a pound of BD in the .223 with a cheap 50-55g bullet. What is not to like?

Sure it is a fast high energy density powder and if anyone is not comfortable with their reloading techniques they shouldn't be reloading anyway with any powder. It doesn't seem any different from the reduced charges of Unique that have been published for years.

Anyway 'Seafire' on Accurate Reloading forums has done the most work with BD loads that I know about. Do a search over there and you can find more info than you can read in a week. Most all responses are very favorable from those who have actually tried BD loads. There are a couple of horror stories too as there are with any reloading operations. TnTnTn

Or you can email this seafire character at seafire@charter.net...

supposedly he has done load data for
223, 22.250, 243, 6 mm Rem, 260, 6.5x 55, 6.5 x 57, 7 x 57
8 x 57, 30/06, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, 7 Rem Mag, 444 Marlin, 338/06, 270, 30/40 Krag, 30/30 Win....

plus can help out with loads for the 250 Savage, 257 Roberts, 7/08, 308, 280 Rem, Weatherby Mags, and a batch of foreign cartridges....

Thanks Bob...

I don't get over here often enough!

I'm always more than happy to share info on work I have done with Blue Dot with fellow shooters, varmint shooters and especially for teaching kids to start shooting...

an idiosyncracy of mine also...is if folks are from places I have lived, or are from where I grew up and my roots are, they qualify for more special attention.... .kinda like preference for some of the hometown crowd...
I have lived in Oregon for the last 13 years...
I spent 15 years living in Minnesota before that...
The first two gentlemen on this thread, animal lover and ARCOREY.. I am a native Virginian..

Virginians and especially those serving in the Military or Military Veterans.. will get the highest priority!

so Animal Lover.. drop me an email at seafire@charter.net..
I can set you up or get you in the right direction with all the calibers you brought up..

Back