Where to get primers????

CWeeks

I was just wondering if you fellas get your primers on the net or at local shops. I can not seem to find any place that is in stock.

Also I saw at Cabelas they are charging $46 for primers, $8 for shipping and a $20 hazardous fee charge on top of the other stuff. Never heard of this fee. Is it only for the BR4 primers because I did not see the charge on other primers.

Everybody that I have seen (online)charges the haz-mat fee on top of the regular shipping charges, they are classified as an explosive or something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I have learned that you cant be really picky on brand, if you find small rifle primers......you buy them, they may not be there tomarrow. I have not seen Remington 7 1/2 primers on the shelf for over 2 years here. Which are you looking for?

Well I really would like to find CCI Mag 450's. I have had such good luck with them I am hesitant to switch. But like you said at this point I am down to my last 140 primers and have not been able to find any small rifle primers PERIOD here locally for 6 weeks. If I could find any Mag primer or BR4's I will buy up a 1k of them ASA I see them with how hard it has been to find them.

I am to get my new .204 upper this week or the first part of next week and with only 140 primers that does not go very far with a barrel break in and load developement.

shooter,
Well might have been available then but BR4's, CCI Mags, CCI regs they are all gonzo.

What about BR2 LR primers are they any good? They do not say small rifle on them so I am a little confused.

Last edited:
Quote:
shooter,
Well might have been available then but BR4's, CCI Mags, CCI regs they are all gonzo.

What about BR2 LR primers are they any good? They do not say small rifle on them so I am a little confused.

BR-2 primres are Large Rifle Primers and won't fit in cases that are Small Rifle like the BR-4s.

Wolf Magnum Small Rifle Primers are used by a lot of bench rest shooters including D.Tubb. They have hard cups like the BR4s but do not have more of a charge than BR4 primers.
They are said to be very consistant from shot to shot.

Wideners of Johnson City, TN sells them at a good price. $18.50 per 1000 and powder is cheaper too. If you need both primers and powder the hazmat fee is bearable. The way I figured it, I ordered primers and powder cheaper than I can drive 15 miles one way to the gun shop to pick them up.

Houser in NC
Thanks for the info. So do you use the wolf primers in your loads? Every wolf product I have ever tried has been sub par in my book so I am a little skeptical. If I could just purchase 100 of them to try out that would be great but I am not wanting to purchase them blind for 1000 of them plus the hazmat fee to find out they do not work for me.

Anyone else ever use the wolf primers? What have the results been?

Last edited:
The reason for the Haz Mat fee is UPS and fed ex are the only two ways the inline places have to ship, So they can charge it. I try to buy local if I can because of that. Since I really do not have any local dealers I always stop in varios places when we travel, When I find some I will buy up several thousand of each type.

Try Powder Valley they generally have most primers in stock they do charge the 20 $ haz mat fee though. But they are great to work with and ship next day or tell you why.

Quote:
Try Powder Valley they generally have most primers in stock they do charge the 20 $ haz mat fee though. But they are great to work with and ship next day or tell you why.

DITTO and the shipping box is a keeper.

Crazy as it sounds, I've been finding better prices on primers at local gun shows than on-line. I've purchased 10,000 WSR's in the past four months at prices I couldn't touch elsewhere.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I helped out SW this afternoon I took 4000 CCI small rifle primers off their hands, I left 1000 CCI's and 2000 federals for seed. I have to go back tomarrow, if those 1000 CCI's are still there, I may take those too. 26.99 a 1000 I didnt think it was too bad.

buying primers 5000 at a time is smart thinking if you plan on shooting in the future. An escalation in the war could make primers scarce as hen's teeth!

Isreal is probably going to bomb Iran and who knows what that may leade to.

Thanks fellas. I know they are cheaper at local gun shops because you will not be paying a $20 hazmat fee. But they problem is that the sportsmans warehouse has been out for 7 weeks now. There is one other gun shop here in the springs that I have found and they have NO small rifle primers either. But a good friend of mine from this site is hooking me up.

Wehman has a good sized stock pile of them and is selling me 500 primers. So I will be ok for now.

Back