Old truck guns

MPFD

I've seen alot of posts condemming Mossberg Rifles as cheap junk, and I thought I would share this.

I bought this Mossberg 100 ATR from Walmart in November 2006 ($244).

CIMG1924.jpg

The same day I bought this POS Simmons 4-12x40 rifle scope ($50), and some aluminium mounts.
CIMG1926.jpg

I didn't break-in the barrel, I didn't lap the rings, heck I didn't even clean it for the first three months I owned it (250-300 rounds put through the tube before the first cleaning). I just slapped on the scope threw together a load and went to the range.
Now I know I've done everything wrong from the get go, but I can't help but love the way this thing shoots.
CIMG1921.jpg

CIMG1922.jpg

Yesterday the first three rounds put down the dirty tube shot this group.

I was prone on a bipod, @ 100 yards. I don't have any other gun that measures up to this kind of accuracy. Since I've bought AR's, Savages, and a 1977 model Rem 700 BDL, and none shoot as good as my old truck gun.
So for anyone that wants you to believe that "if you don't do a proper break in it's already trashed" or "if it's not top of the line it's no good", I can only say "Mossberg 100 ATR"

Last edited:
What, no jewel trigger, no bedding, no $1000 scope???

I love it.

I think you might have found a gun that is actually worth the money.

Quote:

Ya know.........................aw heck, never mind! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

God I love hearing about cheep guns working great! I do allot of waterfowl hunting every year, several states. I got caught up in the SBE II craze as it was the ONLY shotgun. I did happen to pick up a Baikal MP-153 (now remington spartan 453... AKA cheep Russian Junk) for swamp hunting so I wouldnt muck up my wonderful Benelli. After a few hunts I realized it shot and felt great, could handle a dunk in the swamp muck, and fired anything I fed it without maintenance until I got around to it. I realized I was using it more often than my Benelli that costs 4 times as much.
Hunting buddy was i a spot where he needed a backup gun. asked to borrow my Baikal (AKA cheep Russial junk) Well I gave him the SBE. Enough said.

Enjoy your mossy, it should serve you well and will outlast that scope and rings, several times.

It's a .243 and I know there are alota people saying "yeah right the sun shine on a dog's @$$ everyonce in a while". But I have a whole box full of targets with nice groups like these from this piece of junk. My buddy has the same gun with a synthetic stock in .270 and it shoots about the same, three under a quarter is pretty regular.

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:

Ya know.........................aw heck, never mind! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Ya know what???

I had a nef handi rifle that would shoot 1/4 " groups too
oh yeah : ALL DAY
Ya know its just a nice warm fuzzy feelin when your 300 dollar gun shoots like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
You got a good one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
The only thing that would make it better is if you mounted a Burris Fullfield II Tactical scope on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Reminds me of a day shooting pds with my sons $140 Savage, cheap scope and the neighbor shows up with his $2000 custom built varmint rifle. We outshot him all day. He never brought it out again.

Last edited:
I bought one of my son's a Stevens 223 last year and at the time, I just couldn't believe I was buying this rifle. But to my surprise, it's been great. For the most part, it shoots right around .5 groups. The best thing about this gun, is it likes the cheap remanufactured ammo best, go figure. I have a fair amount of Coyotee Varmint Dusters made by 3-D, that this gun just loves. Cheap gun, cheap ammo, and cheap scope (tasco) and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Don't forget the cheap... POS... Howa rifles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Broknaero I got one of them MP153 shotgun's too. It seen a many dirty goose pits and shot a TON of geese... she keeps bangin'! Wish I could say the same about everybody's high dollar SBE's or Extremea's. Wish they would have ruined it by putting a Remington name on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Quote:
Don't forget the cheap... POS... Howa rifles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Broknaero I got one of them MP153 shotgun's too. It seen a many dirty goose pits and shot a TON of geese... she keeps bangin'! Wish I could say the same about everybody's high dollar SBE's or Extremea's. Wish they would have ruined it by putting a Remington name on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

They just did that to bump the price up on it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I've had my ATR 30-06 since 2004 and added a wood stocked .308 in 2006.

My experiences have found them to be quite nice shooters. Consistent groups on either side of an inch are typical.

A buddy has one in .243. His shoots just as nice as MPFD's.

Neither of us have fired anything other than factory rounds. Mostly Federal Power Shok's.

In addition, I have Stevens 200's in .243, 7MM-08 and .30-06. Each are excellent shooter's. As with the Mossberg's, there is no problem achieving consistent groups on either side of an inch.

Back