need some help

yotestomper

Alright guys heres what I need, I have been looking at getting a black mouth curr for two reasons. #1 I have been around these dogs in the past on some hog hunts and they work their tails off, have also brought them in to locate wounded bears where they also performed great,#2 I have small kids and these dogs seem to do well with kids. on a side note my idea was to try and use one of these dogs as a decoy dog on coyotes. So if anyone has these for sale or know of someone that has a quality line could you get back to me on it.Also let me know your experince with these dogs so I can make sure I am making the right call here.

thanks == Justin

I have a mountian cur and she is great with kids. She is great on decoying coyotes and easy to teach. I belive that Mtn. curs are a little smaller than the Black mouths someone here probably knows more about that. You might also look at the Mtn curs. She tracked this coyote about 100yds after a poor hit.
PIMG1733_001.jpg

Wackmaster thanks for the reply, that is the type of info that im looking for i hope that i get some more like this.

bye the way i am looking into the mtn.currs to see what they are like

Good luck when you do find the dog you're looking for. I'm sure you'll do great. Personally I don't have any experience with blackmouth curs. I've heard some great things about them and some of the southern hog hunter swear by them. They sure are a neat looking dog.

I have had hounds, mt. curs, feist and a terrier. IMO, a mountain cur is one of the most trainable and adaptable dogs around. Good treeing ability, easy handling (they generally hunt with-in 1/4 mile unless on track and many guys never need to use a leash on them), great pets and in my experience they aren't as hard headed as hounds and terriers. The ones I've had are very sweet dogs. I've never known anyone to use them for blood trailing wounded game and they are generally considered "hot nosed". I know there are guys on this site that use Mt. curs for decoy dogs.

The other dog I might recommend for you is a Jagdterrier. While more hard headed and harder to train. They hunt out farther more like hounds. Mine is very smart and handles well after a couple very short lessons with the e-collar. Lots of hog guys use them and bloodtrailing is one of their specialties. Mine has the best nose I've seen on a dog and that includes any hound I've seen. Mine is very sweet and great with the kids. She's also in the house when ever I'm home and sleeps on our bed on "most" nights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. IMO, They also make better varmit dogs because they are smaller and very quick. Like I said, they are more hard headed.

Don't take any of this as a knock on Blackmouth curs though. Like I said, I've hear some great things about them. But I'm betting it will be easier for you to find a good mountain cur. Fact is, their is just more of them around.

CB

chris, iam starting to think this way as wackmaster has one and got me doing some research on them. what i am starting to like is the fact that they are a bit smaller and i feel wont be apt to scare the young coyotes as easily as a bigger dog(dont know if im right but thats my logic) anyway thanks for the post i need all the help i can get on this

Any of the Cur breeds will do what your asking,If they have the right breeding.Catahoullas,or leopard curs are my choice.Blue lacies ,mtn, red, black mouth.All curs,and all will be willing to work.I have two pups left.Pm me if interested in details.Duane
Look at some of my past post,the big black dog,and the red and white dog are my Catahoula studs.

crapshoot i have considered blue lacies and have done some research on them, great dogs,good hunters, but something about the curs keeps me leaning that direction i guess it is the time that i have worked with then.
duane pm sent and thanks for the reply

Back