I may need a smaller hole dog

Duane@ssu

I was working yesterday,and saw a badger chasing rats on the pivot.Instead of shooting the badger I came to the house and got a few more dogs ,so they could catch it.The only problem was when the dogs lined out the badger went to ground.TO LATE! My big catahoulla stud was on it and dam near caught it before the hole.He went to digging,and got the badger out of the hole.When he pulled it out the other dogs jumped in ,game over.I had a 10 week old pup with me and after the big dogs sealed the deal,I let the little bugger get close,he was arched up and trying his little heart out to bay.Hope you guys like the pics.
Buckhoe1.jpg

Buckhoe2.jpg

Buckhoe3.jpg

Buckhoe4.jpg

Zipperfirstbay10weeks.jpg

Looks like dang fun. Your big dogs did a great job but you still need a couple bad-azz terriers!!! (Now you have the excuse even if you don't really need em!)

CB

I'm running ten finished dogs now,and got stuck with 4 pups out of the litter.I would realy like a Jag/patterdale.I think that would fill the gap.Lots of times the badgers go to ground,and the big dogs can't dig them out.

Bad day to be a badger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. That black dog with the white sox, looks to be part Boarder Collie? Our dog, looks like a litter mate.

Jack a$$ is out of a border collie female,and a Macnab male.He is super fast and lost of grit,but no nose.He works good with my other dogs,it nice to have the speed.

Duane

When you got room for small dog, let me know. I either have them or can find them for ya. The only people I know, are hard dog hunters (terriers, hounds, stags, or bird dogs).

I got 6 patterdales and one airedale. I would love to get them on some badger, but I never see them in my area now. Out in western SoDak, I used to see them fairly regular. Not so much in SEastern SoDak.

Duane Babe just had her first heat cycle!! I plan on breeding her to Casey next round!! Should be a out standing cross!!
7 Mounths old babe was locating her first coons in the barns by her self and had the heart and drive to run them right out of the holes by her self!! At 12 lbs!!

Vargy

Duane, I believe a Big ol Catahoula w/ a hard mouth on him could take a big Badger out above ground "IF" he's quick and precise enough to avoid getting viscerated by them meat hooks, but mainly because of height, size and hardware advantage. A Hole dog (IE. Patterdale,Fell,Russell,even Borders and Lakies etc...)
is no match "1 on 1 -in a hole" for a medium or big "American" Badger. Even if the lil tugger gets ahold of the badgers snout right away, because of his small short size he would get ripped to shreds in seconds by those 2" claws, Badgers can literally turn around in their own skin. A Hole dogs mouth is too small and the Badgers skin to loose for anything but a face or leg hold. many years ago, I had my best prospect run down a coyote hole after a big one, it turned around and got her lower jaw and broke it in two, then got on top and literally crushed her sinuses and ripped her up pretty good to where she had to have her face completley reconstructed,lost her top cutters, all 4 salivary glands removed and could only breath thru her mouth and had join the early retirement club at 3 yrs old. Tazzy - Rip.
Giant comparatively docile European Badgers are a completely different critter than ours, like comparing a Pitbull to a Poodle...JMO.
[image]
paty5.jpg
[/image]

rolly
Casey wieghs in at 26 lbs but he is very short!!! He IS ALL BEEF!! Now my patterdale is about 13lbs I am hoping that the cross between the 2 will be the ticket!! They both dont know what back up means!! I plan on trying a badger here in a few weeks!! A buddy has one located!! I have to get my sons wedding out of the way first!!

Vargy

Right on man. Good luck to you with the cross. I hope it works for you.

Don't mean to steal the thread, but where did you get the brindle ones? When you see brindle in terriers, something brindle is up close and pure patts don't have it up close? Good lookin, but got me thinking.....

On the note of badger, you will check a lot of holes unless you catch one above ground. We checked a couple hundred holes in a couple days and got on one and he dug away. Above ground is the best way to catch the N.american badger. Over seas they use the same den like fox. Not nearly as territorial.

Rolly
what do you mean (something brindle is up close and pure patts don't have it up close?)
All 3 of my brindle patterdales came from Canada!! he has raised them for years!!
My 2 pups are right at 4 months old!! last night the older terriers found a coon and made very short work of it!! After they had the goody out of it i let my pups out and the little male went right town on the coon!!
The female barked a few times but i think she will come around!!

Vargy

I have killed 145 badgers in two years,many with the aid of dogs.Most times I spot them in a pivot and the dogs bay them before they go to ground.This big Catahoulla stud will not leave a hole if the badger gets in it.I have to go to the hole and praise him,then he will come back to the rig.This bager made the hole just feet in front of Buckshot,and the badger was trying to dig in,but Buck was already on the hind end.On open ground these Catahoullas will hold a badger as long as it takes for me to get there,but bay back from a few feet,and don't get cut up.If a dog(no matter how big)wants to fight a badger,they better get the throat,the first bite,or the dog will pay the price.My healer got cut by one last year.It was bayed and when I called the dogs back so I could shoot it ,it came up my leg,Smiley jumped in the middle of it,and got 10 stitches in a front leg for his effort.I shot the badger with a pistol,and stiched the dog.These badger are nothing to mess with,they can mess up a dog.But also nothing to be scared of if your dogs are gritty and get the throat.

Vargy, I believe you that the fella has been breeding them for years, but it usually denotes a little staff or pit up closer. Nothing to worry about, working ability is all that I care about. As a matter of fact, I'd prefer brindle over all colors if I cared about color. Not a slam, just saying a probably something else in there. Fur in the shed is all that matters in the end brother!

We are over run with badgers here,I get to be around them alot,and my dogs get to run them alot.They are fun to hunt,just becareful.I like to call badgers,when I know one is working a feild,but keeps going to ground.

Duane,

This is Christian you contacted me about coming out to get some of them Badgers.. Sorry I havent called I ahve been a bit busy.. I am coming through there on the 19th and would love to stop by, I could even come a day early if you got that many badger... I am going to drop off some BMC's in Canada (& bringing back a staghound and a whippetXgray)and am taking some terriers to hunt along the way... Here is a pic some of my hole dogs..
r-c-5-12-08005.jpg

R-C_hunt009.jpg

Y.I.S.
Christian J.

Last edited:
I been busy also,no big deal.I should be cutting hay then,and by the Grace of God,should have a few feilds clear that we can glass.Your welcome to come buy and hunt.We can run dogs all over this country.I have access to lots of ground.Some is open and some is brush ground.Give me a call when you get a chance. Duane

Back