Short, lightweight 22-250???

coffee437

Anyone know whats available in a short, lightweight 22-250? I have a 700 ADL right now, but with a 26" barrel it's too long and heavy to call with (and I have a buddy that REALLY wants to take it off my hands /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif )

I looked at the new Model 7 Predator, but after seeing some of the stories about that gun,, I'm a little scared of it. Also looked at the Savage Predator, barrels too heavy for my taste.

Trying to stay around $600-$800 price range (no more than that, wife would use it on me!!!)

I REALLY wish someone would figure out how to put it an the AR platform /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

An ADL sporter isn't a very heavy gun. But if you want it lighter and easier handling, just have that 26" barrel shortened about 4 inches or so. One of my Remington 223 sporters has a 20" barrel and it handles beautifully. But with a 22-250, I wouldn't go that short, and definitely not any shorter. A guy we used to shoot with liked the 22Cheetah. His truck gun had an 18" barrel......muzzle blast from that thing was just hellacious loud with a good flameball.

I have a Remington 700 LVSF that I think is perfect. 22" barrel, light weight and shoots great. I'm not sure if Remington is making them anymore but I'm sure there's pleanty of them still at the gun shops.
I carried it pleanty this past winter and it never tired me out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The Browning Micro A-bolt is a really nice carry rifle in 22-250 or 243.I've had both and really liked them. I have since been bitten with the black rifle bug.Really can't help the black rifle fever!

That is sort of defeating the reason for shooting a 22-250.That round was developed to be the accurate target 22 cal centerfire round. Thus the longer heavy barrels to get the most potential out of the round.To get the 22-250 in an ar type rifle look at the AR 10 they are long enough actions.

Last edited:
+1 on the browning medallion, another option is the browning blr lever, awesome shootin gun. for a calling rifle, 300 yds will probably be a stretch, either of these will minute of yote all day. lee

I'd have to agree with some of the posters on short and 22-250 not going together, but I'm a long barrel fan. How about considering another caliber. If this is a walk around calling and ground hog rifle then take a look at the CZ American in 204 Ruger.

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=10

It weighs 6.3 pounds and shoots flatter than the 22-250 or the Swift. They are beautifully made and very very accurate. I shoot a Varmint version with a 25.5 inch barrel and it still only weighs 7.2 pounds naked.

Mine does nickel and dime sized five shot hundred yard groups off of a sit down bipod and so far seems to do an excellent job on coyotes.

Good luck in your search.

Medallion doesn't come in 22-250 that I can see, Micro Hunter is starting to look like the way to go, but I've never owned a Browning before, don't know that much about them.

Model 11 Savage looks good also, even if it is a package gun (that package scope would have to go!!)

Quote:
Might look at the Tikka T3 Lite. 22.5" barrel and just over 6 pounds

Any thoughts on that one?

Tikka T3 Light. I believe this would meet your needs as you have stated. Check out what the owners of these rifles have to say about them. They are an impressive rifle.

Coffee
I had a browning in 22-250 and it was a p.o.s. (imo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif)
It seems they use their magazine for all the short action cartridges 308,243.ect they make no adjustments in it for different cartridge over all lengths which means some cal get a little extra room in the mag
I believe you would be better served with a different manufacturer
There are some very good rifles in the cal you seek you just need to look around alittle CZ are good but backwards and have some issues with scope clearence (high mounts) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
You also don't need a long barrel to have a 22-250 thats hog wash unless you want to squeeze all the vel you can out of it just because its 22" don't mean its not going to be accurate
Also being a 22 cal you have a vast array of bullets to choose from /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Medallion doesn't come in 22-250 that I can see, Micro Hunter is starting to look like the way to go, but I've never owned a Browning before, don't know that much about them.

Model 11 Savage looks good also, even if it is a package gun (that package scope would have to go!!)

Quote:
Might look at the Tikka T3 Lite. 22.5" barrel and just over 6 pounds

Any thoughts on that one?

I bought my son a model 11 22-250 a few years back, shoots well under MOA with the sporter barrel. I have a Savage model 16 22-250 26" fluted bbl with a Boyds thumbhole that barely shoots better than his. I just wish they had the detachable box back when I bought mine. I really like my Savages, IMHO the trigger and price pushes them well ahead of the rest.

Quote:
The Browning Micro A-bolt is a really nice carry rifle in 22-250 or 243.

I also had a Browning "Micro Medalian" (I think that's the right name) in 22-250 and it was a great carry rifle, and was accurate too. M

Go to the Savage website and check out their Model 16FSS in 22-250. Stainless w/accu trigger. Great 3 position tang safety. I have one in 223, and its quite a remarkable firearm at an affordable price. Lightweight and superbly accurate.

The 1 in 12 twist the Savage barrel has in 22-250 will allow some heavier bullets if desired.

Check it out!

Or you can pick up a Stevens 200 and for the $100+ plus difference in price from the Mod 11 Pkg. you can put a good trigger and rings and bases of your choice. Plus put a GOOD scope and still stay in your budget for just the rifle.

Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9x40mm $238.00 + shipping

AWS

Last edited:
Quote:
+3 Tikka T3 Lite

Thats what I've just about talked myself into getting, I haven't read one bad thing about them. Smooth action, adjustable 2-4 lb. trigger, short and light, and under $600, just what I am looking for!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Thanks for the input everyone!!!!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back