Foxy tracks Mixed bag

guess

Our good friend Bethe joined Michelle and I for the last weekend of turkey season. We always hunt a mixed bag when Bethe is here, this time it was turkeys, hogs and a little predator calling. The first evening we called in the first pups of the season, 7 little coyote pups that looked to be 2-3 months old amazing how young they learn to come to the call. We moved on to try and locate a gobbler, but none would play. Before we could even try calling at the next place we heard hogs fighting and quickly switched gears. We put the stalk on the hogs, Michelle shot the first one followed immediately by Bethe who then handed me the riffle so I could take a shot at one as well. We had 3 hogs down.

The next evening we tried for gobblers again at a new place. We got one to gobble right away but he would move further away with each gobble. We hiked a couple of miles trying to get in front of him before Bethe was able to put the smack down on him. He was a nice bird with a 9.75 inch beard and 1.25 inch spurs weighing 22 pounds. The next morning we called in a pair of gobblers and decided to try for a double. We counted and fired both birds dropped, but before we could get ourselves together Bethe’s bird was up and running we followed quickly never getting another shot at him. So we returned to my bird who was also gone! We where able to blood trail him about 90 yards and found him in some brush. I’ve never had that happen before. Being the last day of turkey season we decided to try an area near a roost and hopefully catch a nice bird coming in to roost. We never heard a gobble, but we did spot a huge hog crossing a field about a 1/4 mile away and put the stalk on him. He eventually turned our way Bethe steadied the Icon on my Bog Pods and put the smack down on him. He was a nice 300 plus pound boar. The sun set without a peep out of a gobbler.

We checked a near by field for hogs after dark and spotted a couple of nice hogs. Michelle and I put the stalk on them. Michelle shot hers first and I got on a runner taking him down with the Icon. I have never seen so many hogs in one spot, there was easily a hundred hogs running in every direction!

The last day I had some business to take care of before any hunting. We made 2 mid day stands the first one was dry. I didn’t have much hope with temps in the 80’s, 1pm and the wind blowing 20-40 mph, but Bethe wanted to try once more before she had to head back to PA. At the 8 minute mark I spotted a coyote slipping in from our down wind side. It had an odd look to it, almost like a hyena. I had to get Bethe to turn almost all the way to her left for a shot. I woofed, the coyote stopped and Bethe put it down right there. Upon inspection we discovered that this coyote had no tail, a first for me. The exit was pretty nasty so we had to decorate with some purdy flowers! This ended Bethe’s hunting trip and as always she was a pleasure to hunt with.

Michelle's hog
normal_Michelle_hog_5-9-08.jpg

My hog
normal_me_hog_5-9-08%7E0.jpg

Bethe's gobbler with a shed antler I found
normal_Bethe_gobbler_stump_5-10-08.jpg

My gobbler
normal_me_gobbler_5-10-08.jpg

Bethe's big boar
normal_Bethe_Michelle_big_hog_5-11-08.jpg

My little boar
normal_Me_hog_5-11-08.jpg

Bethe's bobtailed coyote
normal_bethe_bobtailed_coyote_5-13-08.jpg

the tail
normal_bobtailed_coyote.jpg

the stand
normal_the_stand.jpg

Outstanding! I'm glad Michelle is getting around well enought to chase those hogs.

That looks like some fantastic turkey woods.

Wow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Did you rent a U-haul to get all those critters out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That would be a good Year of hunting up here. Congrats to all of you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Good to see Bethe got to make it out with you guys again. Make sure you enter that pic of her and her turkey in the contest thread. It's a winner for sure.

Who's Your Yankee?!?

Great stuff Glenn! Sure great to see Michelle in the pictures again, hope she's coming back around to 100%. Thanks for posting!

Bethe's Our yankee. She's a hoot!

Michelle is no where near 100% and wasn't able to keep up with us on the turkey hunting,but she can move slow for predators and hogs. She's not any help on dragging a big hog yet though.
I've been pushing her some the Doc says the more she does the stronger she will get. I wish Turkey season went a couple more months that alone drives her.

Dang! That's an impressive load of critters. If I weren't having such a good time bear hunting right now I'd probably lose my mind looking at these photos.

Thank you, Glenn and Michelle. I wish that, Michelle had more time to turkey hunt, as well. That is what she looks forward to the most. It is ok, I tell her...the birds will only be heavier and have longer beards and spurs, for her, next year. She is what real die-hard hunters, are made out of.

I always have the best time, in TX. People miss out on so much when they limit themselves to hunting one kind of animal on hunting trips. I end up with more game when I hunt for whatever's open when it presents, itself.

I'll forever remember, "A hog in the hand, is better than a turkey...in the bush!" Glenn said that, moments before he spotted the big hog, in the field. Turkey hunting, came to a halt...and hog hunting was on.

Hunting in Texas, is never boring and hunting with Glenn and Michelle, is always...where it's at. Glenn contributes his knowledge about the critters that surround him. I always learn new things, when hunting with them.

Back