Whats the deal with"Wylde" chamber?

Wylde is suppose to be kinda in-between SAAMI and MIL-SPEC so it allows you to use either/or and give you almost the accuracy of a real SAAMI when using the good ammo but also allow you to use cheap surplus ball ammo safely.

the wylde is basicly a match 5.56 chamber, designed to shoot long bullets loaded to longer than mag length in an AR, but mine shoots darned near anything very well.
RR

Bill Wylde put an AR together for me that whould shoot average of five 5 shot groups in .285 with a 9 twist, 52g Benchrest bullets. The barrel on my rifle was a Max heavy varmint Hart barrel.

Quote:
the wylde is basically a match 5.56 chamber, designed to shoot long bullets loaded to longer than mag length in an AR, but mine shoots darned near anything very well.
RR

Not to flame but rate of twist is what stabilize the bullets. The The SAMMI chamber is a match chamber for 223 and the Mil Spec is used on guns designed to use military ball ammo. So the Wylde is kinda a tweener.

Ammo longer than mag length wont function in an AR.

Quote:

You can single load ammo that is longer than mag length and it works just fine.

Quote:
Quote:

You can single load ammo that is longer than mag length and it works just fine.

You can shoot a TC or a Bolt action also partner. I would however think that the reason for an AR is not to be able to shoot it single shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif But yes you can single load an AR and if the ammo is just a hair to long you can use the forward assist. That'll set the bullet in the lands. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bill wylde designed the chambering to shoot 80-90 gr loads single loaded in an AR for 1000 yard matches.
here is a copy paste from John Hollingers chamber reamer list
Chamber Freebore Lead Angle 80SMK OAL Comments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Target .0566 1 deg,
13 min 2.465 This was designed by a C. Hildebrandt at Savage. I believe it is used in the savage .223 rifles. I do not have this reamer, but it should work well for HP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JGS#514 .025 3 deg,
10 min 2.435 I believe this is used by Krieger and Mike Bykowski. I use it for slow twist varmint uppers but I think it is a little short, and too steep of a lead for HP.

Wylde .0619 1 deg,
15 min 2.475 Designed by Bill Wylde. Shoots everything good, and has slightly generous body dimensions for reliability. Eats anything you put in it.

Holliger .106 1 deg,
15 min 2.530 Designed for the 90 JLK. The longer throat allows a little more velocity.

CLE .025 1 deg,
30 min 2.450 Of course we all know Frank's rifles shoot just fine!

Bushmaster .0250 1 deg,
30 min 2.450-
2.475 Info from Bushmaster (thanks!). These are one of the best out-of-the box barrels, and handle up to 80 gr bullets no problemo.

with .0619" of freebore, its much longer than a 5.56
RR

so basically its a chamber set up with a bunch of freebore so you can shoot heavy long bullets?? which for most of us recreational AR shooters this would be undesirable, as the 223 is much better suited to bullets 55grns and less for hunting/varminting. milsurp ammo is a joke anyway that 62grn green tip ammo is some of the most inaccurate 223 ammo I have ever shot, if I wanna spray and pray I have an sks

yeah, but I have a RRA 8 twist chambered in 223 wylde, darned thing shoots anything very well. I regularly shoot ultramax reman 55 gr sp's, it'll shoot those into the .2's with regularity.
RR

Ridge Runner Your are right Wylde designed lots of chambers for special purpose shooting. I do have a Wilson barrel on mine which has a Wylde chamber which I was told was 2.475 and would be able to shoot anything. That's why I called it a tweener. Mine has only digested 55 and 60 grain SP's and it shoots better than any rifle I have ever had or have now.

It has shot Wolf, Federal, Hornady, Black Hills re-manufactured and some others . No clear difference. To say the least I have been amazed. Thanks for all the extra info.

So here's a twist for ya... (pardon the pun)

Let's say my 20" stainless bull barreled AR is chambered in .223 (SAAMI) and I want to be able to feed this thing anything from match grade .223 to cheapo mil-surp 5.56 ball ammo without losing the original .223 accuracy.

- Can I have "who-ever" throw a reamer in the chamber and take it out to Wylde specs?
- Will the chamber be safe?
- How badly will the accuracy be affected?
- Do you know anyone that does this kind of work?

if you shoot 223 ball you will not have very good "223 accuracy" I think people where saying the wylde is only for 80+grn bullets, ball ammo is 62 grns and should shoot fine in the regular chamber

".223
Wylde .0619 1 deg,
15 min 2.475 Designed by Bill Wylde. Shoots everything good, and has slightly generous body dimensions for reliability. Eats anything you put in it."

EATS ANYTHING YOU PUT IN IT and does it with match grade accuracy......

Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dan kinda hit on what I was looking for. I just ordered up a RRA Predator Pursuit 20" A4 upper for a new build on a custom Anvil Arms that I should have this week. Its a 1:8 twister Wylde.

I was hoping I made a sound decision on the buy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Sounds like I should be happy with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Dave

This chamber was designed in 1984. Some time before the 80 grain bullets hit the scene.

This chamber shot SS-109 (62 grain) extremely well. I used this chamber and Canadian IVI 62 grain issue ball to place in the top fifteen of the Canadian Governor General's Match
(final 50) @ 900M in 1993. The other 49 competitors were using DA 7.62 NATO. No, I wasn't brave..........I only had one rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Not too many of those Gov Badges here in the central Illinois cornfields!

On the other side of the coin, the chamber works well with everything from the 52 grain BR bullet to the 80 grain Sierra.

Enjoy

Hey Wylde,

You Related or just a fan? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Thanks for your 2, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Dave

Quote:
This chamber was designed in 1984. Some time before the 80 grain bullets hit the scene.

This chamber shot SS-109 (62 grain) extremely well. I used this chamber and Canadian IVI 62 grain issue ball to place in the top fifteen of the Canadian Governor General's Match
(final 50) @ 900M in 1993. The other 49 competitors were using DA 7.62 NATO. No, I wasn't brave..........I only had one rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Not too many of those Gov Badges here in the central Illinois cornfields!

On the other side of the coin, the chamber works well with everything from the 52 grain BR bullet to the 80 grain Sierra.

Enjoy

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Back