Rem R-15 - - 1st Range Outing

BBsteel

Well, I'm impressed as I thought I would be. Another great AR that's as accurate as I need it to be. All ammo used below was 55 grain. The scope is a cheap "made in China" scope to get the job done for now...can't wait to get better glass. All 50 and 100 yard shots were made at 9 power. There was considerable wind but the shooting lanes are trenched out. It started to rain ever so slightly near the end. I only cleaned the barrel after the first 10 shots and then after 35 shots. I ran about 80 rounds through the gun. Mostly UMC ammo just to run through it not really focusing too hard. All the pics of the groups I focused hard on and shot off sandbags. The stock trigger is not bad at all though I can't tell what it's at as far as weight of pull. Much better than my BM or DPMS parts kit triggers. Visually the springs are thinner.

DSCF0240.jpg

I started at the 25 yard range and worked to the 50 and then to the 100. It didn't take too long at the 25. Below is a pic of the gun at the 25 range and what I used as a rest (sandbags and table).
DSCF0223.jpg

Next is a quick 5 shot group at the 25 yard using cheap Remington UMC ammo.
DSCF0225.jpg

This is a view of what I was shooting out of at the 50 yard range.
DSCF0227.jpg

Here's another 5 shot group of UMC shot at 50 yards off sand bags. Got a flier in there from a flinch.
DSCF0228.jpg

Now to the good stuff....100 Yards! Here's a view from the targets back to the bench.
DSCF0230.jpg

Below is some 55 grain Remington Green/Yellow box (can't remember what it's called). The 3 shots on the left were the first of 5. I did notice that when shooting 5 shot groups with this gun #4 and #5 would shift a bit on me. This could have been due to many different things besides barrel heat. Lots of gasses are left behind in the carpeted concrete tubes I was shooting off of. Therefore I stuck to 3 shot groups after this one.
DSCF0232.jpg

Here is my go-to round, the Hornady 55 grain poly coated bullet. This will group under 3/4" all day for me.
DSCF0234.jpg

Here's a visual of the structure I was shooting out of.
DSCF0238.jpg

Overall is was a great day and I let a few other guys interested in the gun give a few bangs. I may have hooked a few more AR rifle men. If I make it out tomorrow I will shoot the 200 yard rangs with it.

I love this gun! Can't wait for better optics!!!!!

Nice looking rifle and it seems to be shooting pretty good with the factory ammo. Now, it is time for some custom-built reloads so you can maximize the accuracy!!

I like the way that range is set up in a trench with trees on both sides. However, I'm not sure I'd like the echo you must get from shooting out of a block-walled bench area with a roof over the top. The fellows at our rifle range just put up a roof over all but four of the benches at our range. I try to get the benches that have no roof over them. Yes, I wear electronic ear muffs, but you can still hear that "echo" when someone is shooting a big loudenboomer from under the roof!!!

I have found, seeing I'm a new owner also, that of all the AR15 varmint and predator type rifles that they all shoot MOA with any ammo I have seen put through them. I have been darned impressed also. Thanks for the post and photos.

Nice review. I just posted one too. Nice rifle, I really like mine. Just like BBsteel I still need to do some fine tuning to get the most out of my R-15. It has lots of potential.

Thanks for the review. Let us know how you do with other loads.

Jim

Quote:
What's the the going price on that pretty R-15.

$929 for the 22" and $954 for the 18" at my local shop. I have no idea why there's a price difference. Probably for the timing at which they bought the 22" (earlier). The one I have is the 18".

Hey BBsteel,
That will make a great carry or calling rifle, and I like the looks a lot. I get the impression that the scope is mounted a bit low. Were you straining to get lined up behind it? In any case, you need a Badger tactical latch to make using the charging handle easier.

Enjoy your new R-15.

The scope is real low. I know it's way too low and plan to fix that when funds allow.

Things yet to get:
- LP VX III 2.5-8x36
- Armalite one piece mount
- Badger tactical latch
- Possibly install my Timney

Looks like a nice AR, nice write up too. I guess it points out shooter differences, my biggest beef with AR's is I cant get the scope low enough.

By the way I have a Leupold 2.5X8X36 I'd sell??
Carl

Quote:

Mine was $870.00 plus tax and shipping. The Nikon Pro Staff camoed scope was $130.00. Both items came to 1090.00 from my dealer friend.

Jim

Quote:
Quote:

Mine was $870.00 plus tax and shipping. The Nikon Pro Staff camoed scope was $130.00. Both items came to 1090.00 from my dealer friend.

Jim

I thought I got a deal....geezzzzzz. That's one heck of a price!

Back