22 PPC?

Salmo22

I shoot 100/200/300 benchrest competition with a custom 6 PPC. I want to have a custom varmint rifle built by my gunsmith and I am seriously considering the 22 PPC. I was looking to go the .223 route; however, I already have all the brass, dies, etc for to make high quailty 22 PPC reloads.

I was wondering what experience anyone may have shooting the 22 PPC for varmints?

I have also shot a lot of benchrest with a 6 PPC and thought about the 22 PPC too. Last year, I took the 6 PPC on a PD shoot in SD and working off a trajectory chart, made hits at 500 yards. I was shooting Sierra 70 HP match bullets and will see if I can develop a load with a smaller varmint bullet. So... I gave up the 22 PPC idea and now just use the 6 PPC and a .204 with great success.

I've got a factory Sako 22ppc and it's a great varmit rounds and I'm using Norma 22ppc brass with 52gr bullets
3350 up to 3500fps. I fireformed some Laupa brass and thats alot better for the high velocity loads and I use that brass if I was building a custom. Well good luck

Salmo22, I shot p. dogs with 5 different 22 PPC's, they are very accurate. Cost of brass is prohibitive, so I started making the brass out of 7.62x39 PMC brass that worked out very well, brass is tough as Lapua brass if not tougher. I shot the 50s out of the 22 PPC at 3575 and the 55's at 3500 using a ball powder WC844 that is unreal accurate and gives much better barrel life over N-133 and H-322. WC844 gave it's best accuracy node in the 3550 fps area with 50g Sierra Blitz, with accuracy in the high 1's and low 2's. WC844 is still available for about $99 per 8 lbs.

Now a different spin on things. You could accomplish the same thing by going with a minimum spec Match chamber in a 26" 223 with zero freebore and .2245 throat. You would not give up .035 in accuracy over the 22 PPC with a huge cost reduction in brass. I shoot IMI brass in my custom 223 with amazing accuracy, really good enough to shoot a regisgtered BR match with and place middle of the pack with 50 & 55g Nosler Ballistic tips.

The Sierra 52 and 53g Match Hp's are not worth a hoot on p. dogs, Bergers are a little better. The Sierra Blitz kings are the most explosive in my opinion on ground squirrels and p. dogs.

I've got a Cooper in 22ppc. I havent experimented with powders. I shoot H-322 and 40 grain whatever bullets. I seem to run into pressure with 50 grain bullets easily.

I hunt varmints but not in high volumes, its excellent. But like ackleyman says, it'll do what a .223 will. I just like it because its different.

Here is the best group I have ever shot with it. Correction .533" 5 shots, .196" 4 shots.
22ppccolor.jpg

Back