What was your first custom call purchase??

trashcan

After seeing Tony Tebbe post that his first custom call he purchased was form Mr. Brad Holzer I got to thinking (I know, that's a stretch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif), what and who was the first custom call you ever purchased? When I first got back into the sport, I was crusing the net and came across this site and started soaking up info like a sponge. I was very apprehensive about contacting the custom callmakers on the board but finally decided to take the plunge.
I got ahold of Tony Tebbe and comissioned him to make me an antler open reed call. A week or so later Tony did a tutorial on how to make an open reed antler call here on the board:
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb...page=0#52246097
Lo and behold, the whitetail call in the tutorial showed up at my door step less than a week later. I took the call out the next weekend and called up two fox with it and I was hooked!! Here is a pic of the call and the shotgun I was using during the early days of posting here at PM:
antlerand97.jpg

I love looking at my collection of customs, but this one was very special and holds a spot high on my list of cool hunting stuff. Tony got me hooked!
For guys and gals wondering if they should go custom, I highly recomend it. The build up to recieving the call built special to you is really a great feeling. Then when you open that package and start playing a new call it really sinks in that that call is yours . Killer deal all around, and it makes predator hunting just that much more special, I gurantee it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif!
Now, everybody post your first custom and if you have them, post a pic or two for us all to look at on a Friday to get us to the weekend.
Everybody have a good one and kiss the wife on mothers day for being understanding about a sport that makes alot of noise!!
Trashcan
Death Card Calls

p.s.
Don't hesitate to contact any of the callmakers on the board guys and gals, now is the time that we are all chomping at the bit, waiting for fall and the callmakers are ready to outfit you with a custom built just for you!

I don't know if this is custom or semi-custom /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif ...I picked up a TT Cedar River Howler first. Now after a little practice, I think I might be able to call in some coyotes with it. Prior to this call, I'd only used closed reed production calls.

Trashcan, you're on my list...I'll contact you for a call as soon as I straighten out my finances...2007 was the first year I haven't been able to claim any kids as deductions on my taxes, and I took a hit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Just recieved my first 2 today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gifin the mail from Mr.Trashcan
and they are awesome the shine on the deer antler distress is amazing and this thing is loud...perfect for the hills and hollows we hunt here in Virginia.And don't forget the howler that came with it sounds great, and looks awesome too.
Thanks alot Thomas these calls are topnotch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

My first call/calls I got in a trade with Kerry Carver. The picture isn't the best but you can't beat the calls. These are the ones I got.
John

MyCarverCalls2.jpg

My first was a Yote Smoker in maple burl from Tony Tebbe. After that I grabbed a closed reed coaxer from Rudy Calderone and got a bonus cottontail in the box with it. Now I'm thinking a duiker horn call is in my near future from Tony as well. They all sound great, I'm still primarily a Foxpro guy, but my lanyard still goes with me everywhere. I even carry it deer and turkey hunting just in case Mr. Wiley shows up.
PICT0001.jpg

This is the only picture I have of my calls so far. Finished him with the handsfree coaxer laying on the remote.

i dont do pictures (i'm not that far advanced) but i had a set of three made by army turner after christmas, one of them being a bite call. haven gotten to hunt with them yet. have played in the woods a little out of season with a cowhorn tip by toni and it does bring fur.

My 1st custum call is a closed-reed, from Deschner & Son, Newton, KS....back in '96. It's an unknown wood (though I think it may be walnut), made in the old Circe style, voiced Jack.
At the time, I didn't know about all these custom makers in the world, so I didn't realize I had a real custom. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

It took 10 more years before I bought another custom call, April/May '06. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I had Lance Homman make me a couple of his PS33...Osage Jack, & Cocobolo CT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
A week later I got my 1st open-reed buffalo tip from Kent Constable, along with one of his buff/antler "bobcat special" coaxers that he threw in as a gift! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The old Deschner has been retired now, but those other 4 get used quite a bit!

Well it only fits that you started the thread Trachcan.

Here is the 1st calls I bought off of the amazing call makers here on PM.

PICT3223.jpg

2 antler coaxers for my daughters I just had to get after seeing Trash's kids with some in their mouths. These are some of their most prized possessions.

I also got one of the first cigarillo calls trash was just developing as a bonus!!! ( it is hidden under my littlest's hand there ) And it is always with me when I go out.

Thanks Thomas,

NM

Quote:
Mine was a Fuzzy Bunny from ArkyYoter.

Same here... great sound out out of the Fuzzy Bunny! Joe makes a fine call!

Back