What Is It About Predator Calling

AzWill, now you see why I love Crow Woman, Were in the hell is a man ever gonna find a woman like that, shes got true grit and a love for the outdoors like few have, besides being one hell of a writter, I read her book and I think its damn good, what a gal, GOOD HUNTING TO ALL. P.S. I wonder if shes willing to share her pantyhose with me, if she is, I could really have something going here.

I don't mean to throw a wet blanket on this topic but I don't like it because no matter what I do I get NO results and we're butt deep in varmits here. Had one cherry red fox hunting mice in the field outside my front door and he wouldn't give me the time of day with a call yet the next morning I had him in a coon trap that had been set inside an old pig shed. Who says you can't crowd a REAL hungry red fox with a touch of mange but he sure didn't want anything to do with that Circe rabbit! The only reason I keep trying after 30 years of blowing my brains out is on the off chance I might get a shot at one of these varmits that's cutting into our game bird populations. You "experts" are free to email me any suggestions - anything would be an improvement.

polecat,

This board and the Coyote Gods board are having a hunt/BBQ next December 7th, 8th, & 9th. It is guided, it is free, and it will be a great time. Come on down to Tucson, Az and maybe some of the 'experts' can show you how to do it firsthand!

Coyotes and foxes can be smart little devils and can be difficult to call in, but I can tell you that it DOES work. Calling can be frustrating, but you are at the right place to learn how it's done so pull up a stump, watch and learn!
wink.gif

Take care,
Daryl

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Wow, what do I like most about predator hunting? Where to begin? How about, the rush, the feeling that you get when you see a coyote coming to the call, knowing that you, the hunter is actually the hunted now. Or, the time away, the closeness with nature and all the stuff around you. Maybe the anticipation, not knowing what, if anything will happen next, when, where or if the coyote will come in. I also like the feeling of accomplishement and pride that comes with knowing that you have fooled the best hunters there are, and you came out on top, even when the opposite happens, and you get busted, its still not a bad feeling, sure you may be disappointed for a couple seconds, but then you just want to get back at it, figure out what went wrong. You spend the whole day trying to analyze what you did wrong, and then go back and try again, only to have the same thing happen! I think the thing I like most about predator hunting is well...predator hunting and all the feelings, the emotional rollercoaster that goes along with it!

The only thing that I think I dislike about predator hunting, is that I am not doing it right now
biggrin.gif

Sorry guys, but I can't make it because my new neighbors would hate me for leaving here at that time of year. They haven't seen a competent trapper in these parts for over 20 years. Besides, I heard BBQ'ed coyotes are rather tough but the cats taste like veal.

Suppose I like being away from the "hassle people". Do most of my calling at night and alone.
Suppose that first answer you get from a lone far-off jackal, the one that makes you thrill yourself into another blood group!

I just happened to get asked to go with an old timer from my home town. The whole time I'm thinking, yea right, like this is gonna work. I could not believe what happend, how fast the coyote came in and how he dropped it like a bad habit. Until I called in a couple (the only 2 so far), well that first succesful hunt I'll never forget. Like that 5 pound bass on a buzzbait, your first double on quail or almost as good as your kids being born , man there ain't nothing like it. Nothing!

The thing I like most is being outsmarted. No seriously, seeing that steaming pile of coyote doo-doo on my boot prints on the way back to the vehicle after a set-up where you KNEW someone came in, but never saw it. I love the challenge put forth by a coyote who is warning his buddies and taunting me after I've been busted. If it was too easy, there would be less of a thrill. It can get frustrating, but you gotta have the bad to make the good worth savoring.

The best thing about it is, switching roles with the coyote. Becoming the hunted,acting it,feeling it and hopping you fool them enough that they'll just throw caution to the wind, and come charging. Then theres the other game, Acting like the coyote himself ( herself for all you women )
" Hey its me, wanna kick my butt for being so brash as to kill your rabbits" " I may sound punny, but I carry a big punch "
The best part by far is sharring those moments with those who think it just like hunting any thing else. You coach them, they dont listen, You coach them more, they dont believe you know what your doing, Then outta fustration they decide to do it as you wish.Awe, the smile on there face tells it all even if they miss.The worst part is, they buy there own calls, and then while your working, there calling every chance they get. Shoulda kept my mouth shut.

Hi Jeep.
Sorry about the slow response.
Lions are only to be found in game parks and up-market hunting ranches, not where I call.
Leopards cannot be controlled by fences, but are only frequenting certain area. They are smart too. I have only called in one, but didn't shoot it (had a 222 Rem!)

Back