RCBS 4x4 progressive press??

skeetlee

Any of you fellas have or have had an RCBS 4x4 progressive press? I was given one by a good friend of mine and i dont know much about it. The shell plates for this thing are like 40 bucks, OUCH!! Anyway is this press worth putting the money into it? RCBS doesnt make this press anymore and that got me concerned about the quality of this press, or function ability, of this press. In my mind if it was a good press they would not have quit making them. I want to load 223 on this press. I am not real concerned about the accuracy of these loads. They will be used for plinking and self defence. Dont get me wrong I want them to be as accurate as possible while loading them on a progressive press, but i will not be so critical on load development and the like for these loads as i would be when loading for hunting and target grouping type ammo. any one got some info on this press for me, and do you think it will be ok to load 223 on this type of press? Thanks Lee

The 4X4 was one of RCBS's early attemts at progressives when they came out with the pro 2000 they stopped the 4X4 to give the new model more market share the reason they stopped production was sales Pure ands simple. The 4X4 will serve you well for 22. or any handgun as well as most of the medium length rifle chamberings, I heard that some of the longer cases have a problem. The other problem may be shell plates as i think the 4x4 is differant from the currant models, but I could be wrong about that. Call RCBS they will give you all the info you need.

The shell plates for the RCBS are 40 bucks a piece. Thats one reason i wasnt sure that i wanted to put money into it if i wasnt going to be a good press. lee

Is the 4x4 the piggyback type that goes on a Rock Chucker or is it a complete press? I had the piggy back style years ago and had nothing but problems with it.

If you want a truely great progressive press, Dillon is hard to beat. 550B will load anything you would ever need....well not 50BMG.

I have & use a RCBS Auto 4X4 I bought in 1992 or so. I had to chase the UPS guy around town after I missed him on the delivery. Yes I found him.
I have shell plates for all I load for from the 9mm to the 300WSM. Yes the 300WSM is newer I think than the press but I x referenced a head size & found one that works. When I got the press I set it up as directed to load 9mm with all the auto indexing, powder, & primer & everything. Since I switch around a lot years ago I took out the center indexing rod & use it like a turret press. I set my dies & manually move the shell, & I also prime and do the powder seperate & away from the press. I agree if you want true progressive look to Dillon. If you load in hunter quantities & switch around often it can be a pain to get all the auto steps set up. So don't feel you have to use it in the auto format. Anyway that works for me. Midsouth shooters supply seemed to have one of the better selection of shell plates the last I bought any.

I think the shell plates are the same as the piggyback they both came out at the same time, But RCBS moved on with the Pro 2000 and dropped the 4X4

Back