222 Remington

Sharpshooter79

Howdy Folks,
Just wondering if any of you folks out there use a 222 remington anymore for coyotes or prairie dogs? My dad gave me his old Remington 600 in 222 Rem. Used it the other day for prairie dogs, I like it a lot.

I spent several years behind a 222 when I was doing the bench rest thing. It's one of the most accurate cartridges made. It's easy to load for and likes most bullets in the 50 grain thru 52 grain weight. The old 600 Remington's are also going up in value all the time. Shoot and enjoy it.

Quote:
I spent several years behind a 222 when I was doing the bench rest thing. It's one of the most accurate cartridges made. It's easy to load for and likes most bullets in the 50 grain thru 52 grain weight. The old 600 Remington's are also going up in value all the time. Shoot and enjoy it.

++1 on that bob. imho, the duce is one cartridge that really has not been improved on, if you take all thing into consideration. decent velocity, exc. bullet selection, low recoil, long barrel life, accuracy, etc,etc,. i have only 3 now,(had to take my sako apart to screw a 6-duce barrel on), and it is one round that will always have a place in my gun room. lee.

the 222 is one fine cartridge, I was somewhat dis-enchanted with it for a coyote round until I accidentaly shot one with a 40 grain Sierra hollow point, the most impressive hit I have ever seen. I haven't seen a model 600 sell that I felt I could afford or I would have one. I have a remington 722 that I really like. I haven't seen anything that will hammer coyotes like a 40 grain bullet out of the 222.

That rifle in 243 or 6mm is one of the best deer rifles every made. In 222, from what I have read, it is very quickly becameing impossable to find (those that have them don't give them up but some will pass them on).

The 222 is a great cartridge for varmints and predators. Over the years I've owned quite a few of them. I now have 3 of them, a Rem 722, Mod 7 with a 18.5" barrel and a Sako L461 Vixon. They like a lot of different bullet & powder combinations so loads are easy to come up with. My Mod 7 loves the 40 gr Sierra HP with BL-C2 powder.
Rifles and cartridges come and go but I'll never be without a 222. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have two of the Triple Deuces one in a Remington model 660 in mint condition and one in the 600 mohawk also in mint condition and as everyone has stated both are tack drivers. I want to add the Remington 600 in .222 with the vented rib so that I have the complete set in that caliber. Anybody have one that they want to part with? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's the 660 with some coyote action here in Montana. So accurate it took the skull right out of him! Actually where I put this coyote to rest upon impact the coyote skull was only about 5 feet away. Someone else must have had some luck in that same spot before me.
Rem222StrikesintheBigHole.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
my hunting buddy called my duece a mouse magnum!! 788 3x9 bushy. said he would pull the bullets out of the cardboard so i could reload again!! lol said it would kill cats but would be to light for yotes!! after smacking 25 or 30 in a row, he said it might work!!lol has killed a few deer and some lope!1 love the duece!!

i lost my first duece to the ex. that i had reloaded and killed sooo many things. if i pulled the trigger somthing died!! 788 6x bushnell! 98$ and a free scope from a friend, paid 200$ for the next one with the 3x9 and killed a bunch more. ex gave 788 to my son who gave it back to me along with my mdl 1100 shotgun. gave the son the shotgun and traded the 788 to my nephew for a mdl 7 in 6mm. for gma. will never be with out one..

I got a .222 last season and shot factory loads until two months ago when i finally worked up two good loads for it, and the accuracy now is far the best i´ve seen. It also have a really light recoil and it´s a great alround rifle for smaller game.....Keep it! you wont be sorry!!

//Fredrik /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

You will hear that the 222 is not a big enough cartridge, but in the light varmint area which I think includes the 221 fireball, 222, 223, and the 204 Ruger within 300 yards there is not enough difference to matter. You still have to shoot enough to know what your rifle will do. You may want to include the 17 Rem and 17 fireball in that group but I haven't shot the 17 fireball enough yet to have an honest opinion. If you cut the yardage down to 200 yards you could include the 22 hornet. That is just my opinion.

I love mine its a Ruger 77 MKII I have been told they were never even been cataloged in the USA, supposedly only 47 even sold new in the USA 2 years ago when I bought mine. I guess they are big in countries that dont allow NATO rounds like the 223. Anyway great gun and dont let the size fool you the got teeth.

Good luck, Stan

I feel your pain Blue Duck! I had one in a 40X that I should have never let go. One of the most foolish things I have ever done, was selling that rifle. Like Bob said, it's a very accurate cartridge. Hasn't been all that long ago, that the 222 ruled the bench rest game.

My dad owns two .222 rem and loves them one is a Rem 600 mohawk and the other is a Rem 700 classic. The classic is a shooter , he uses it for praire dogs with 40 gr Barnes VLC's. If you compare the .222 and .223 in a book they are pretty close to usually +-200fps , sometimes less.Keep the 600 and shoot it, perfect calling gun.

My little Savage isn't the prettiest girl at the dance but she performs quite well. Huh...just like the girls I used to date. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I own a Remington Model 660 in 222 caliber. I bought it new in the early 1970's. This was back in early 1973 I believe.

One thing that I want to do is to buy and install a new trigger guard. The original was made from plastic and I want a steel blued trigger guard. They cost about $80 online which is a lot of money for this old gun. Not sure why they want that much money for the steel trigger guard but that's the price.

I have not really shot the gun that much. I took it out to this recreational area where I worked and shot it a few times.

It has a little bit of rust on the barrel but is other wise in good shape. I kept it in my room all those years. I left it back at my parents house when I got married and that's probably when the rust formed on the barrel. I have some 00000 steel wool that my gunsmith gave to me and he said that and a little oil and elbow grease will remove the rust.

I am thinking about having the gun smith work in the stock to float the barrel or whatever they do to make the gun more accurate.

I am going to sight it in at a gun range soon and have installed a Burris Full Field II 4x9 40 mm scope on this gun.

The sock is made out of Walnut and has some small nicks in it from taking it out in the field.

It had a new trigger installed due to the Remington Factory recall in 1979 on this model gun. The new trigger will allow the bolt to work when the safety is engaged to that shells can be ejected from the gun without turning the saftey off.

The new trigger is much crisper than the original trigger so I hope it will shoot better now. The trigger goes off at around 3 to 4 lbs of pull where the older trigger was more like 6 lb to 8 lbs for the trigger pull

My gun smith said that this was a good trigger for this gun.

Back