Reloading .223 in 60gr. V-Max

bobcatspotfever

Hi,I have a fella going to teach me to reload.We have everything I think we need to do it.Read some posts about benchmark powder.I can buy some if I need to. I want a hunting load for yotes and choose the 60gr V-max.So what is a good starting load as well as maximum for it?I will use em in my Remington R-15.You fellas seem to know whats good so I'd thought I'd ask.I will have a good mentor I just need some good recipes.We have books but nothing jumps out at mein the 60gr. v-max that has good reviews on here for yotes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Thanks! Bill

23.8gr of Varget or Win 748,Win. brass Rem. 71/2 BR primers.should get good results.I like Varget over Bench mark or Win. 748 it's cleaner and not heat sensitive.

A few pards and I run this load in a couple AR15s and bolt 223s-

Win Brass
60grn Vmax
25.0grns of BenchMark
Fed205M

3000FPS from 20" AR15, 3175FPS from 26" bolt rifle.
We seat them to kiss the lands in the bolt rifles, and mag lenght in the AR15s.

I use 24.6 grains of Benchmark with the 60gr V-Max but I would not start there. Hodgdon has 24.6 as a Max load so you should probably start at 24.0 and work up since your new at reloading. Max COAL for your R-15 will depend on your magazines, but I get away with 2.260. I like the CCI BR-4 primers with the harder primer cups for use in the ARs. Don't go for the hottest load in the book for your AR since it's rarely the most accurate, and is harder on the gun and your cases.

Benchmark is the best powder Iv'e used in the AR-15 so far. It's not temp sensitive, meters better than Varget, and you don't have to deal with the compressed powder charges.

Genreally the 2 powders of choice for the .223 are Benchmark & H335. I have used both, and prefer Benchmark for most applications.

Contrary to popular beliefs, you CAN get great accuracy with "lower than normal" loads and still have plenty in the velocity department to kill a coyote at the distances most of us incur.

I have found that 22.5 grains of Benchmark with a 60gr VMax is a very, very accurate load that runs about 2800fps. Not a speed demon by any means, but it puts 10 rounds in 1/2" consistently out of one of my rifles. It may or may not give you those same results. Every rifle has it's own preferences.

If you are looking for definitive load data, www.hodgdon.com is a great place to get loads. I also suggest the BR4 CCI primers as was mentioned above. Just start low, work up .2 or .3 grains at a time, and watch for pressure signs.

Oh yeah.......HAVE FUN! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I just found a load for my brother in laws 223 handi rifle. 24.7 gr of benchmark with 40 gr v-max. It is a full grain below minimum listed in lyman 48th. 1/2" groups at 100yds. 2.215 coal.Verymild shooting and accurate. He was looking for something in between before he reaches for his 22-250. My DPMS AR 15 223 likes 25.6 gr of bench mark with a midway 55gr sp seated to 2.260. It amazes me how one load is so darn accurate in one gun and not in another.

On the hodgdon link Hildago provices thay give you a charge of 25.0-27.0gns of Varget for the 60 gn vmax. I have found my best accuracy being somewhere between 26-27gns. I set my COL at 2.26. I've shot this load in several guns and it is a very accurate and well known load at my varmint calling club. Most guys found 26.4 to work best. I use either win or rem std small rifle primers. I only have one ar that likes the 27gn full house load and that is a bushmaster with a 5.56 chamber which is a little bigger than a std 223 chamber; and thus, it handles higher loads better that a tight chambered ar. I would bet that your R15 is a 5.56chamber. If it is, it will be stamped 5.56 on the barrel. If it is stamped 223 Rem, it will have a tighter chamber. Beware of the differences.

Don't get stuck on one bullet. I wanted to use 100 gn ballistic tips last year in my 25-06 for antelope. I couldn't get my gun to shoot them straight. I went to the 117gn sierra game kings, and it is a real goog shooter. If your barrel twist is 1n9 or tighter, you may also want to try the 65gn sierra game kings. I know of an ar that wouldn't shoot the 60 gn vmax straght, but shoots them real well, and It is a great dog load.

Good Luck

Right now I am shooting a 20" Dtech AR that loves the 60 grain Vmaxes.

Winchester cases
CCI 450 Mag
Either 24.2 Grains of W748
OR 24 Grains of H335

It is awesome and devistating top the prarie dogs. But really mot to bad on the fur for yotes.

25.2 of H4895 gives me great accuracy at around 2950. I think, with this bullet at this velocity , magic happens.

I don't get exits on anything and nothing moves after shot. Absolute bang flop electrocution with the occasional tail wag...

I'm changing powders though so I'll know how the 60 Vmax ad the 60 Ballistic shoot with TAC here in a couple days...

The 55-60 Ballistic possesses substantially more integrity as a bullet than does the 50-60 Vmax offerings at similar velocities in my experiences...

Thanks for all the help fellas! Started to load some tonight using the 24.0gr of benchmark.We had to stop cause the manual calls for a crimp and we have no crimp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif My mentor loads for bolt rifles and never a A-R and he does not crimp.So do we need a crimp in The A-R? If so what do I need to get? I thought we had everything one could possibly need but what exactly do I need if I need A crimp on my bullet after it seats? Am I missing a die or what? Thanks again! Bill

Most FL die sets have a crimper built into the seating die but you don't need to crimp for the AR-15. Some die sets have a separate crimp die. You may want to take another look at the instructions that came with the die set.

Check the overall length of your rounds and make sure they will fit into all of your magazines. Usually the overall length should be between 2.250 to 2.260 . That 24.0 grains of Benchmark will likely shoot very well. Stay away from magnum primers with Benchmark. The CCI-BR-4 would be my first choice of primer but others should be fine as well.

Let us know how it shoots for you.

Jim

Thanks Jim! I bought some federal primers.I recon we will just load 100 rounds tonite and don't crimp em.I ordered diffent rings made by Warne in the Tactical Aluminum but they are back ordered for at least another week so no testing for awhile.I chose these cause my set up with a riser and warne metal rings I felt weighed too much.I want my set up to be as light as I can for a calling rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Bill

When I first got my AR, I had "heard" that you should put a crimp on the bullets. I loaded up 5 rounds crimped and 5 rounds un-crimped of each batch and found that the best groups were from uncrimped bullets. I did that for two uppers, a 223 and a 204, and found the same on both.

Back