Wisconsin Varmint hunting

bowhunter34

i am new to varmint hunting and own land in central wisconsin. my family has seen a few groundhogs around but have not been looking for them.

i was just wondering when to go, and where to look, like at the edge of a crop field or a small food plot field.

any advice you can give will help, im going turkey hunting this weekend and would like to varmint hunt

When I was a kid growing up in central Wisconsin the best varmint shooting was gophers in the town cemetery. Every once and a while we "nicked" a grave stone but hey, sometimes sacrifices are necessary to keep ole' Aunt Myrtle from being dug up.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
i am new to varmint hunting and own land in central wisconsin. my family has seen a few groundhogs around but have not been looking for them.

i was just wondering when to go, and where to look, like at the edge of a crop field or a small food plot field.

any advice you can give will help, im going turkey hunting this weekend and would like to varmint hunt

If you own the land, I don't see a problem.

From the '07 Wis. Regs:

"License Requirements:
A landowner is required to have a license to hunt deer, bear, Game Birds, Migratory
Game Birds, bobcat and Unprotected Species or to trap otter, muskrat, mink, bobcat, or
fi shers. The owner or occupant of any land and members of their family may, without
a license and subject to all other restrictions except seasons, hunt or trap on their own
property for beaver, fox, coyote, raccoon, woodchuck, rabbit, and squirrel year-round;
however, hunting with a firearm is not allowed during the 24-hour period immediately
preceding the regular gun deer season, and hunting is illegal for anyone under the age
of 12."

Jim

seems as though its a go ahead
I wanted to reply to this thread at the begining of it cause I thought that woodchucks were protected but didnt know for sure my interpatation of the regs state that as long as you are the landowner on you own property you do have the ability to shoot the critters
I have no idea why the woodchuck-groundhog would be protected in the first place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
go figure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Probably to keep badgers, the state animal which is protected, from being shot while woodchuck hunting.
I saw a big dead female chuck on the road today. They are out.

Hey Wisconsin guys, you are doing a poor job of protecting your borders....I sneaked in!

You let a Colorado guy get in. Right now I'm in Fond du Lac.

It's not all bad, I was born and raised here. Anymore all I do is visit cemeteries as all the people I know anymore are there.

Truly a beautiful week.

Thanks for letting me come back.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Claimbuster, you had better get back home and man your border because I will be trying to cross it at the end of the month. I will be in Littleton visiting my daughter. Plan on shooting dogs on the way out and back but won't be helping you out with your PD problem!!!

I believe the animals on list are protected in the off season and have their own open season....your regs should specify . SM

feral pigs are a problem in the western part of the state and up on the east end of lake superior.

Only problem is they are nocturnal and very shy (smart, too) so it's a different hunt.

I tend to go for the cat who gets too far away from the barn.

Puffin crows is fun too.

HM

I hope you are puffin crows with a shotgun.

Unless I read it wrong you need a small game license and can only shoot with a shotgun because those crap birds are considered game birds? JOKE..

Hey Wisconsin guys, thanks for letting me visit. At this time of the year Wisconsin is truly beautiful. My wife and I drove from Chicago, after flying from Denver, to Fond du Lac. We toured much of the old home country, Green Lake, Montello, etc, etc.

We did the cemetery thing, visited my Grandparents, Dad, Mom, etc. My mother just died last November. It was strange to visit and she was no longer there. My poor Dad, she is beside him again. At least he had 20 years of peace and quiet.

At the cemetery, I soon realized that everyone I once knew was there. Oh well, it was convenient that I could find them all in one spot. The real eye opener was to find several of my school mates there.

Wow, this is negative. My apologies!

BTW, this is the same cemetery where I shot gophers as I described in an earlier post.

Back