best .223 primers

I've had great success with Remmy 7-1/2's, CCI-BR4's and the Federal 205's. All have thick cups which allow higher pressures. Not an excuse to go over max loads but less chance of getting false pressure readings from the primers with thin cups like Winchesters small rifle and the CCI standard small rifle primers. And yes CCI450 mag primers for ball powders, (WW748, H335 etc), Especially when it's cold.

WSR, Rem 7-1/2 are the two I use most often, Any small rifle primer will work well with H4895. Depends on what your rifle likes best

CCI BR-4 very few powders need a magnum primer in such a small case with the exception of some ball powders like Winchester. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Winchester SR primers and Federal 205M both work very well with any powder I've used for the .223. Have never used a mag primer in anything. Good luck.

Ducksoup, the fed 205 does not have a thick primer cup. The 7 1/2, CCI-BR-4, and the CCI 450 do have the thick cups.

I only made mention of this so you may not get yourself in trouble.

In these hard times primers around my house are difficult to come by. I see mainly see Win and CCI at the gun shows. Rem and Fed primers are unheard of.

If I had to choose one primer over the others, I would choose the CCI 450 due to the thick primer cup, cost, and availability. Like I said, the Rem 7 1/2's have not been seen around here for quite some time.

The reason that guys want a thicker cup primer is so that if their load is near the top of the pressure curve, if/when they go out on a really hot day and let their ammo sit out in the sun in a case guard 50 with the top open, they will hopefully not blow a primer. The powder usually ends up getting blamed for being temp sensitive, but you let the sun heat up your ammo, and pressures will go much higher and your accuracy is blown.

Quote:
I use the CCI BR-4s myself.

Amen brother good quality primer helps w/those small tiny groups /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

ackleyman, granted the 205's don't have cups as thick as the 7-1/2' 450's or the BR4's but they're still thicker than Winchesters small rifle or the CCI 400's. I've shot thousands in all my small rifle applications including my 6MM PPC benchrest rifle using very hot loads. I trust this primer.

For you guys that like the CCI small rifle primers for your 223, you may be limited as to what you can get for a while. I read a notice at Sportsman's Warehouse the other day that CCI is furnishing primers for the military contracts. Their shelves were bare of the CCI small rifle primers. They had a few Federal and Remingtons and that was it. I was disipointed that I couldn't get any for myself, but considering the reason why, I'll live with it and be grateful for the men and women that are using them!

Back