Breaking in a new Rifle

Tim Behle

I think I've found a good way to break in my new rifle.
View

There was a coyote shot first, about 5 minutes before I shot the larger cat. But in the excitement of killing two cats in one day, I forgot to take his picture
smile.gif

Tim

Tim--No wonder you shot everything you saw; you can't improve on a Leupold scope. There is nothing in sight that is safe from a "gold ring" shooter.

Originally posted by Tim Behle:
I think I've found a good way to break in my new rifle.
View

There was a coyote shot first, about 5 minutes before I shot the larger cat. But in the excitement of killing two cats in one day, I forgot to take his picture
smile.gif

Tim
Here kitty kitty.

Great job Tim. I bet that kinda made your day. By the way what caliber did the deed in the picture. Tell us about how it all went down.

------------------

I did the dirty deed with a 7 MM Remington Magnum. I know it's a little big for cats, but I bought it a couple of weeks ago with the intention of using it to learn to make small holes in distant pieces of paper over the summer, and to take out the occasional long distance coyote in the winters. I normally hunt with a 17 Remington. But I limit myself to shots under 300 yards with it and I wanted to reach out a little further. Hopefully by the time I get done with some load development this summer, I will be able to double that distance on coyotes.

Forgive the weird formatting, the computer keeps locking up on me. But by the grace of copy and paste, and some third time charm, maybe I can get this post to take this time.

One my first stand, the only thing I called in was a Golden Eagle. Talk about a neat bird! Those things are HUGE! On
my second stand, I had a coyote come in five minutes after I started the tape. He hit the brakes 25 yards away and I dropped
him in his tracks. Five minutes later, I saw the larger cat coming in across a hill side 300-400 yards away. I kept watching
him, when he stopped and sat down 40 yards out the excitement was too much for me and I jerked the trigger. I knew I
missed when the gun when boom. I knew I must have been close, because he jumped strait up in the air and did a cartwheel, but when he landed on his feet, he just trotted up to the bush the call was in,peered inside, then turned and walked into a wash out of my sight. The next time I saw him he was a little over 200 yards away going back the way he had come in. I haven't yet been able
to do much shooting with this gun. I sighted it in at 100 yards, but I don't know where it shoots past that. I decided I'd never
hit him if I didn't shoot, so I put the cross hairs just a little above him, gave a slow squeeze and the bullet went right where I was
aiming. Right over his back. He froze up and stared at where the ground had exploded and I put the cross hairs just above
center. This time it was a perfect hit. After I turned off the call, I found where I had grazed his neck with the first shot. I took off a tuft of hair as big as your fist, but didn't put a scratch on him!

I didn't call anything on the next stand and decided to head for home. A few miles down the road I passed a two track I keep
meaning to try, decided it was too early to go home and turned around. I parked in a nice sandy wash, walked out a hundred yards or so, and 10
minutes later, the smaller cat came trotting in. I took him at about 25 yards and decided that was too close to shoot a bobcat
with a 7 MM Remington Magnum. It was a little rough on the fur!

Back