220 Swift Powder? Most Accurate?

OK,

I almost have all of my reloading stuff now and want to go out and buy that first can of powder for my 220 swift! Question?!?!?! With using a 55 grain bullet coming from a Remington VS rifle, what powder has been tried and found to be the most accurate?? If anyone has shot this combo yet!
Also, any other advise would be greatly appreciated with the same caliber in different guns!

Andrew

I now use Reloader 15 in my Encore Swift but in my Bolt guns a few years back, IMR 4064 was the king. I run anywhere from 38 to 40 gr's with only a couple of rifles that could handle 40 gr's. 38 gr's was the most accurate in most rifles. The bullet i used 99% of the time was the Hornady 53 gr Match HP . I have never used a 22 cal bullet that killed like the 53 Hornady in the Swift. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RL15 got me 1st place at 100yds, 2nd at 200yds, and agged out 2nd in factory class for the weekend. I wasn't even running the match pills,..just 50gr v-max's.

IMR 4064 is a great powder for the swift !

about 36 to 38 grains with a 55 Vmax

here is a 3 shot group with a slight crosswind, but you get the idea...

3460136_grains.JPG

I use a mag primer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif and I have also used most of the powders listed previously and have found that h380 seems to do really well in my swift /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I shot the barrel's out of 2 swifts and my partner shot the barrels out of 4, on ground squirrels and p. dogs. We shot a load of AA2700 43.5-44.5g with a Fed 210 Primer with a 50g Nosler Ballistic tip. I have recommended this load for several other guys and they have had amazing accuracy out of their rifles as well.

Accuracy is usually in the area of .375 with a velocity of 4000 fps.

AA 2700 will give much longer barrel life compared to 4064 which is the old stand by for the swift. 4064 is very rough on barrels compared to AA2700, I found the same thing to be true in my 22/250 which just loved 4064 also.

There is a guy over on the www.varminthunters.com board that shoots a gun exactly like yours. He is a very acomplished shooter by the name of Paul Workman. You should visit that board and send him a PM, he will be glad to tell you his load with the 55g bullet.

Good luck!

Quote:
please explain to me how it is rougher on barrels...

thanks.

Yes, me too. I noticed that the burn rate were quite similar with these two powders, so it makes no sense to me as to why one powder would be any harder on your barrel than another is.

Would you send us link were we can find out more about this?

Quote:
please explain to me how it is rougher on barrels...

thanks.

Yes, this is news to me too. I have never heard of one powder causing a barrel to burn out faster than another. If there is some data on this, I too would like to read it.

IMR 4064 and BR2 primers with a Nosler 55 grain or a 52 grain SMK are my go to loads in my swift rifles. The same load works in my 22-250 AI also

Back