Rainy Day Double!

plumbob

Woke up this morning at 0400 to lightning, thunder and lots of rain. Called my buddy, we decided to wait until later and see what the weather done. Well about 0630, it had quit raining, we decided to meet up at 0745 at out walk in spot.

We get met up, it starts raining again.:mad2: We take off anyway. Well I walk him to death for about 2 miles. I have been wanting to try this spot, green strips around a creek bottom. We get there, don't hear anything, but setup anyway.

We are calling off and on about every five minutes, every once in a while we hear a gobble really far away. Well I move back up to my buddy, we are setup about 20 yards apart, to decide if we should move or not. About that time, a hen flies off the ridge behind us, and lands in a tree about 40 yards in front of us. I move back to my spot and here is where the fun begins.

My buddy gives out a few yelps, and she fires back! We are cutting her off every time and she is mad! The gobblers that are far away can hear it and they are going at it too. We have two different sets going now.

About five minutes into it, I can tell that the gobblers are now on our side of the creek!:rock: They are gobbling up a storm! I'm thinking there are 3, but there was two. I saw them, the rear bird is doing a half strut, and gobbling his head off.

About that time, the hen flies down into the brush. I amd thinking that its over, the gobblers are going to her, and we are finished, Nope here they keep coming, I had single hen decoy, that might have helped:2thumbsup:

Anyway, they pass in front of my buddy first, he is waiting on me, I shoot when I get a good shot, he shoots, we got two birds down!

Now this is my first gobbler, I killed a bearded hen two years ago. This is my buddies first turkey ever. We have hunted for the last 3 years since we have been stationed here at the Fort, this is the first time it came together. We had a great time that we will never forget.

I need to learn how to take a better picture, you'll notice it looks like I tried to pull the fan part in the pic.

My bird weighed 19 lbs, 9 inch beard, 3/4" spurs, his bird weighed 21 lbs, 10 inch beard, 7/8" beard.

double.jpg

Plum.jpg

sween.jpg

100_1756.jpg

Plumbbob, congrats. I think I am as excited as you are. Having followed your progression, I know you deserved this. It just goes to prove, Never give up. It is all gravy now. That first one is the hardest. I remember hunting that land when I was up there. It is good Turkey woods. Keep it up. Randy

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

That is GREAT, I knew you were gonna take a nice one this year! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif But to double is really cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back