Finally got my bird!

Yellowhammer

Staff member
It took me a while this year, but I finally got my bird this year.

I called in 2 jakes and a bearded hen on opening day (April 1) but passed on the jakes (bearded hens not legal and wouldn't want to shoot one anyway).

I have been after them quite a few mornings, but when I heard birds, they just wouldn't work. Several mornings I was on a bird that I could see fly down, but he was having none of my calling. The last morning I went after him, a hen flew from a tree near me right in his direction, and that was the last I heard of him. I never went back to try and get him.

Monday morning, I was right on one off the roost, but again he had no interest in my calls, and only gobbled one time after I called.

Today, I went back to try him again, but he was nowhere to be heard. So, I started driving and hitting some of my spots where I have heard birds in the past. About 7:45, I stopped in a freshly burned area and heard a gobbler right after I stepped out of the truck. He wasn't far, and made my move.

Apparently, he saw me just as a got to where I was going to set up, because he abruptly shut up, and he has been answering every crow in the area. I quickly realized my mistake, (even though I had not seen him, he had to have seen me) made a few calls, and with no response went back to the truck. I was kicking myself for screwing up and getting too close. Especially as hard as it has been to even hear a bird this year.

I drove on down the road a couple of more stops and heard nothing. Then I back tracked and stopped at a spot that I had driven by right before I heard the first bird.

I parked the truck, and got out to listen. I almost couldn't believe it when I heard a bird gobble down in the creek bottom. I grabbed my gun and vest and started to make my approach. Even though this area had been burned, it was still pretty thick, and I was afraid to get to close after already screwing up one bird this morning.

The only spot I had to sit was thick and I could only see about 15 yards through the holes. I still had not called yet, and he was gobbling on his own ever so often. I knew I was pretty close, and pulled out my slate. I only made a few soft purrs and clucks, and shut up. After a minute, he gobbled and sounded closer. I didn't answer, and he gobbled again. I gave a few more soft purrs and clucks and laid the slate down.

I knew I didn't have much visibility and may have to shoot through so brush to even get a shot. Then I started to hear the "spit" on the end of his drumming, and knew he had to be close and was strutting, but I could see nothing. I had a big post oak top laying on the ground 10 yards to my 10 o'clock and he would have to clear that for me to see.

I swung my gun around that way and waited, and after a few seconds, I saw him in strut and moving to my left. I immediately saw the long beard and steadied my gun in an opening he was headed for. As tight as the timber was, it seemed like he was walking faster than he was, and when he hit my little shooting lane, I gave a cluck on my diaphram.

BOOM! DRT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif 11 inch beard, 1 inch spurs and 18.5 pounds.

3 inch Winchester Supreme 2 oz. copper plated #6s.
mygobbler4-08-1.jpg

Last edited:
I aint never seen a rooster that big before! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I never had my doubts. You always seem to pull one out year after year. When you gunna take your boy?

He's in school. I have not been able to hunt on Saturdays because of baseball and softball.

It is dang tuff for me to get one, getting him one, might be near impossible.

I would love to take him after some Rios though.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Our season here in PA starts saturday!

Yellowhammer, Congrats on a fine adult gobbler and a great story.

Oh, about the story. Here in the northeast, our gobblers "spit" BEFORE they drum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Carp

Back