ARE THEY SLEEPING

SLICKSALZ

Hey guys, ive been hanging out down wind for a few week now and figured its finally time to ask my first question. When we are out calling in the middle of the day are we actually waking the critters up from a sleep? If this is so, than is this why i have more success on those cold snow covered days? I figure it hard to sleep soundly if your shivering your butt off and your gut is grumbling because the mousing isn't so easy with 8 inches of snow on the ground. If im the right track here than should i be slipping in close to those thick brushy areas and try to call them from out of their beds? Assuming they are bedding in some sort of cover. Thanks for any imput guys. I trying to figure out why the only time i have any luck is when its been below 20 for a week and theres been snow on the ground for just as long.Thanks agine.PS this site is better than GREAT

Are those below 20 temps day time or night time temps? If they are day time temps, then as you learn more about animals, when it's cold at night they will hole up somewhere warm and hunt during the day. If you want to get a good exsample of this, watch a flock of geese from before sun up til it warms up to the high for the day, they will stay on the water until it's as warm as it's going to get on a cloudy day and only fly as far as they have to, to get to a corn field, Yotes are the same way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif they will move when it gets a little warmer then it was during the night, thats when the prey species will be moving also. While I am running traps, if it's a cold night and there is snow on the ground, I'll take the 22-250 with me just for that reason, I pick up more fur that way. If it's a warm sunny morning, by warm I mean around 20 before the sun comes up, I leave the 22-250 home. I hope this helps ya. Jeff Erwin

hello i read your post in the biology forum, that area doesnt get much traffic. this is the 1st time i have visited the calling in the east forum. anyway i think if they are hungry they will wake up !! i see coyotes in the fields a few miles from my house all the time in the middle of the day when they should be asleep in theory !! last august we went calling in the mountains busted out of the rack at 4 am. where in a calling stand at sun-up worked hard all morning no coyotes !! made a last stand at 11.45 am in the sage flats no cover probably 90 degrees or so,my buddy hit the call about 60 seconds into his calling session 4 coyotes show up!! took us by complete surprise the 1st dog showed up 20 feet away !! the furthest around 100 yards. i may start at noon !!
i guess what i'm trying to say is you really never know just keep after it & try not to worry to much ??
my opinion hope it helps.
good luck...dave

Slick,

Diffrent things move coyotes at diffrent times, a full moon or dark moon, weather, alot of diffrent things. Sometimes coyotes hunt all day sometimes all night. When I refer to them bedding down I think of it as a place they lay up during the day. Here it seems to be in thickets, clearcuts, creak beds, drains, places like that.

All you can do is call to them. Find there travel lanes and bedding areas, and get as close to them as you can. If you give them what they want at that time they will come. Sometimes they just dont respond. just try to put all the pieces of the puzzle togeather and go from there. I call more coyotes this time of year in the middle of the day than anytime of the year. Its breading season and they are on the move.

Brent

I left my .02 cents on this question, in the "Predator Hunting" Forum.

Note; My comments are based on (my)central Iowa predator hunting experiences & of course (opinion's).

Look under, "Need some help setting/up callin"

Back