What is a wylde chamber??

skeetlee

I have been having a friendly discussion with Mr. Jack Robers about what a wylde chamber is, or is for. Mr roberts is telling me that the wylde chamber has a long throat, and is made to shoot heavy bullets. First off let me say that i know Jack is a very knowledgeable man and i dont dought what he is saying to be true. However when i was looking to buy an ar i went with the rock river varmint, because it had the wylde chamber. This is what rock river tells me that a wylde chamber is-(The 223 wylde chamber was designed as a match chambering for semi auto rifles.It will accomodate both 223 and 5.56 NATO ammo. It Is relieved in the case body to aid in extraction and features a shorter throat for improved accuracy) Like i said I bought the rock river because of the short throat. I am just wondering what is the wylde chamber? Mr Robers probable has it right, as he usually does, but i can't figure out why Rock River would claim the complete opposite if it wasnt true. I am very happy with my rifle, it shoots like a house of fire. I just want to know more about the wylde chamber for my benifit. Thanks Lee

The research I have done supports RRA, and makes more sense also. Whatever the case may be, my RRA w/ wylde chamber shoots better than every other AR I have shot. I ordered another RRA and opted for the SS wylde barrel for just that reason. I would also be open to proven arguments against my understanding.

Jack Roberts is correct,
My research confirms what he says:

223 Remington vs. 5.56x45--Chambering and Throat Considerations
Is the .223 Remington the same as the 5.56x45? The answer is yes and no. There ARE differences between the .223 Remington as shot in civilian rifles and the 5.56x45 in military use. While the external cartridge dimensions are essentially the same, the .223 Remington is built to SAAMI specs, rated to 50,000 CUP max pressure, and normally has a shorter throat. The 5.56x45 is built to NATO specs, rated to 60,000 CUP max pressure, and has a longer throat, optimized to shoot long bullets. That said, there are various .223 Remington match chambers, including the Wylde chamber, that feature longer throats. Military 5.56x45 brass often, but not always, has thicker internal construction, and slightly less capacity than commercial .223 Rem brass.
Should you be worried about shooting 5.56x45 milspec ammo in a .223 Remington? The answer really depends on your chamber. 5.56 x45 ammo is intended for chambers with longer throats. If you shoot hot 5.56x45 ammo in short-throated SAAMI-spec chambers you can encounter pressure issues. The new long-throated 'Wylde' chamber allows safe use of military ammo. Wylde chambers are quite common in Rock River guns. Other manufacturers, such as Fulton Armory, offer modified "match chambers" with extended throats that allow safe use of 5.56x45 ammo in .223 Remington rifles.

Hey Skeetlee,
You have a fax machine?
Give me a number and I will fax you the prints. As will most reamer makers.

Don't delay because I will be out of the US in a couple days. And have no internet access until well into May.

Jack

Skeetlee,

Thought you and possibly some others might be interested in John Hollingers opinion, since he seems to have a very good rep in the industry.

.223 Wylde

"Designed by Bill Wylde. Shoots everything good, and has slightly generous body dimensions for reliability. Eats anything you put in it."

I put the last sentence of his statement in bold myself. Nowhere do I see restricting it's use to 80 gr. VLD in HIS statement, in fact, seems quite the oppposite !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Now while it may have been designed initially, with the 80gr. VLD as it's primary projectile, seems like it has found quite a following for everything from the lightweight to the heavier weight bullets over the years.

I happen to like the chamber for my PD loads (as do many other varmit shooters), but there are certainly many chamber options in this calibre. Everything from the std. 5.56 Nato to several custom chambers. I say get what makes you happy.

Hangtime

Thanks fellas for all the info. i still am not real clear on the subject. Anyway i really like having it on my rock river. The ar i had before this one had a hard time feeding some of the 5.56 brass i has loaded for it. not all the time, but definately at the wrong times. I am wondering now how the wylde chamber compairs to the 5.56 chamber, I am having dtech build me another rifle with the 5.56 chamber. I hope i do not have any of the same trouble that i had with the last one. I went with the k16 for the reason of having the 5.56 chamber. What do you think? Should it be ok? I am thinking so! dtech builds nice rifles thats for sure! Lee

Back