socal coyote hunting

coyotehunter25

I live in Hemet CA.
i was just wondring if theres anyone who knows any good places near me to hunt coyotes? I am new to coyote hunting and i dont know were to hunt them.
thanks
-kevin

Howdy Kevin,

Quite a few good areas around you. For starters head up in the hills to the east of you. Not the res obviously, but further up. That should keep ya busy for a while. Theres plenty of dogs up there and areas to explore.

Good luck!

Man, times sure have changed. I use to hunt almost anywhere I wanted day or night down around Hemet. To many people, houses and rules nowadays.
BigWave is right though, lot's of predators in that part of California, but be careful.
Make sure you have a copy of the regs and read them good, some good maps of public land and what kind of weapons you can shoot in the area you are hunting.
You probably know all that, but I told you anyways just in case lol......Good luck.

thanks guys.

ya the only place i can shoot yotes hear is in the san bernadino national forest and i dont see them there much

i wana try the desert around palm desert but im not sure were to go

I am a new coyote hunter also and I live just West of Bakersfield, Ca. I have done several things that will help me at the start. I have been reading here for several weeks and I believe I now have collected all the gear necessary.I have talked to the guys that have the heards of sheep that you see while driving and I have talked to some of the ranchers around here. The other night, when the moon was bright, I took and drive and when I was close to a good area, I would pull over and just listen. I found several areas that sounded as if there were many 'yotes just begging to eat one of my .223 bullets after I pick it up my gun next Sunday. (waiting periods sux)
You might try one or all of these ideas. I'll bet you can think of others to get you going, too. Good hunting!

---------------------------------------------------

Even mokeys fall out of trees. Meaning.... Even experts make mistakes.

Quote:
thanks guys.

ya the only place i can shoot yotes hear is in the san bernadino national forest and i dont see them there much

i wana try the desert around palm desert but im not sure were to go

Let the coyote tracks and scat be your guide... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Man.....old memories. The area south of Hemet is where I cut my teeth on this sport. That was starting back in 1964. We hunted at least 3 nights a week and usually came home with 3 or 4 critters, bobcats and coyotes and the occasional fox, per night. That is some very good bobcat country. Lots of big rocks and brush. Our most productive cat spot was a place called Gavalin Hills. The last time I drove through there they were building exclusive homes turning it into a rich man's subdivision. Since coyotes adapt well to civilization and there were lots of them there to begin with I'd guess the hunting would be fairly good. There's got to be farms and ranches still down in that country or did they just close the whole county to hunting? Quail hunting used to be spectacular in that area, too.

there are still some farms and ranches in the area PK1, the problem is getting the permission to hunt on them these days. There is also a big bird hunting outfit down there that will let you kill coyotes for a ridiculous price per day.

It's not a hunter friendly area anymore, especially since you can't look in any direction and not see a $500,000 home sitting on a hill somewhere.

ya there are quail hear everywere but only 2or 3 places in can shoot a gun.

and the bird club dose want a huge amount of money to shoot at coyotes

Like I said earlier. Take about a 20 minute drive east out the end of town. Scout a little. Do some callin' and see what happens. Repeat last step as many times as possible.

Quote:
There is also a big bird hunting outfit down there that will let you kill coyotes for a ridiculous price per day.

Wow........Did Big Bird quit his gig on Sesame Street? You'd think with all that money he'd let us guys hunt coyotes pretty cheap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pk1, I also hunted the Gavalin hills around that same time. I had just got out of the Army and was new to predator hunting. Didn't know anything and nowhere to learn, except go hunting.

The first time I went predator hunting I drove out to a spot north of Lake Elsinore off of 395. I killed a few jackrabbits and set them out. Obviously I had no idea of what I was doing. I walked over a mile into the spot and waited until dark then started calling. Nothing came in, of course.

On my way home I got up to the intersection with 395 and my headlights hit a coyote walking in a field across the hiway so I drove across until I got behind a hill and started calling. I could see the coyote top the hill and head toward me in the moonlight. I hit him with my light which almost immediately went dead. If I'd known what I was doing I would've gotten my first coyote that night. As it was I had to wait for a week. I ran into a guy from the CVCA at a gas station in Whittier and he invited me to hunt with him. We went back and hunted the same area and just outside of Winchester I killed my first coyote. I almost went into orbit I was so elated. About an hour later my new found partner killed a big bobcat and I was totally stoked.

I see the same kind of urban sprawl happening up here and it really saddens me. I'm sure they're in California, too, but we have a company that goes out and pays farmers and ranchers for hunting and fishing rights and then sells them for a big price. I'm a waterfowl hunter, too, and at one of the Sportsman's Shows a guy was trying to sell me a membership. I asked about taking one of my stepsons and he said along with the $500 per year membership I'd have to pay an additional $35 for every gun I took as a guest. Most of the prime real estate is sewn up and it stinks.

Modern day America has no idea what they have lost. One thing they can't take from you are your memories. As a varmint hunter from southern California, I know you have some great memories.
Maybe that's why a couple old southern California boys that were members of the CVCA live in Oregon and Nevada now.
They even wrote a book about some of the adventures of CVCA members, it was called the Varmint Hunters Digest, you remember that book huh lol.......Good hunting

I've been gone from CA for several years but I can tell you where there used to be quite a good number of coyotes. Get on Bear Valley Road ( I think that's the name) Anyway, it's the road that goes from 29 palms to Victorville and cuts through Landers and Lucerne. Well, about 5 or so miles east of Lucerne, there's a gravel road that goes north called Bessemer Mine road. It's one heck of a long road and will eventually exit at a highway. A lot of it is more wash than road, so you need a vehicle that won't get stuck in the sand. The further in you get the more away from off road vehicles you'll get- you have to pass the dry lake. We'd go camping out there and call them and they'd still come into camp at night after everyone was asleep. I don't know how it is now. Hope that helps. By the way, spot lighting doesn't suck out there ( if it's legal now)

Sounds like it is right smack in the middle of Johnson Valley OHV park. Great place if you want to call in motorcycles. I beleive there is no shooting on the OHV park anyway.

FWIW

You cut right through that and go north +-7 miles and get to some interesting hills etc. I shot the living s--t outta that place and called predators in there. No one ever said a thing. So did several of my friends. Like I said, the further you get in, the less motorcycles you get. Were we went, there were none. You couldn't even here them.

Quote:
I've been gone from CA for several years but I can tell you where there used to be quite a good number of coyotes. Get on Bear Valley Road ( I think that's the name) Anyway, it's the road that goes from 29 palms to Victorville and cuts through Landers and Lucerne. Well, about 5 or so miles east of Lucerne, there's a gravel road that goes north called Bessemer Mine road. It's one heck of a long road and will eventually exit at a highway. A lot of it is more wash than road, so you need a vehicle that won't get stuck in the sand. The further in you get the more away from off road vehicles you'll get- you have to pass the dry lake. We'd go camping out there and call them and they'd still come into camp at night after everyone was asleep. I don't know how it is now. Hope that helps. By the way, spot lighting doesn't suck out there ( if it's legal now)

From the sounds of things, you're extremely lost and been out of California too long. Bear Valley Rd, runs from Interstate 15 to where it meets up with highway 18 in Lucerne and is now covered in houses and shopping centers. I do know where you are talking about though and you're smack dab in the middle of Johnson Valley OHV and the whole frickin' area in Shotgun only, didn't think it was, but as it turns out it is and Nope, no night shooting either. Too afraid you might hurt one of those dirt lice they call quads and dirtbikes.

The white is private. The dark brown is military. The other colors are mostly huntable public lands except for Death Valley.
SoCal.jpg

I disagree with all your complaints about SoCal and statements that the past was so much better. They have no basis in fact. There are fewer hunters and more coyotes right now than ever?

Back