Might Have Set A Record!

redeyeddawg

But not a good one. Went out to a farm this morning a mile from home. Didn't hear anything on roost, but was set up in a field that would take them awhile to get to. Stuck a hen and jake decoy in the ground, crawled into the pop up blind, and nocked an arrow on the Mathews. Didn't have much confidence as I'd only worked a couple birds there in the past. They seem to spend a lot more time on the next farm over, but didn't have long to hunt since Little League started today and I coach one of my son's teams. Anyway, I started giving some fairly loud yelps every 10 minutes or so on my custom box and read a magazine. Five minutes after some yelps I hear a thundering gobble across the field in the timber about 150 yards away. A couple cuts on a diaphram and here he came. Got some good video of this stud of a gobbler then had to put the camera down for the shot. His beard resembled a horse tail. He strutted up to the jake decoy at 17 yards to stare him down. THREE arrows later he was heading for the timber with his feathers intact. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif A hen started to yelp across the field and kept him gobbling behind me. This brings in two gobbling jakes two minutes later. The trio crested a small rise and spotted the decoys and raced toward me from 100 yards out. I'm thinking "consolation prize" after the previous display of expert shooting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif TWANG- arrow number FOUR cuts a few feathers off the closest jake (15 yards) I have one more arrow but decided I'd had enough and video the group heading into the woods to join the longbeard. I've shot some really nice bucks with a bow but when I draw on a turkey it absolutely fries my nerves. That's plenty of action for a morning when nothing was expected to happen. Anyone here ever shoot four arrows on the same turkey hunt? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

LOL, been there and done that. A Benelli .12 gauge works very well though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

At least you shot.My first chance for a shot(with a shotgun even!)was at a jake.I was so nervous and in awe that I could'nt even shoot.AT A JAKE!I just set there.That was the closest I had ever been to a turkey.I don't have turkeys where I hunt so I rely on freinds to take me.We have got a deal.They take me turkey hunting,I go and call for them coyote hunting.Better luck next time.
Dusty

LOL, we all have stuff like that happen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif...at least you are man enough to admit it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It happend to me this year(4 shots/jake) first time trying to get a turkey with a bow, no turkey but lots of fun

Quote:
It happend to me this year(4 shots/jake) first time trying to get a turkey with a bow, no turkey but lots of fun

Okay NMJL, we're tied. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I was two for two on bow birds before this debacle. No one to blame but myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Back