Pick THE BEST shotgun for me for coyote

littlbigd

All my shotgun shooting has been tactical the 870, 1100 or a benelli.All completely different.

What should I get for a predator gun? The 1187? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Expensive-Benelli SBE2 cause its light weight,semi auto for faster shots and lower recoil,3.5 inch capable,very reliable,simple design,synthetic/camo,

Cheap- Remington 870 supermag express camo turkey all the above except pump.

If you will shoot Hevishot, virtually any 12ga. will work. If this is going to be pretty much a dedicated predator shotgun and you plan on shooting large lead shot, get a 10ga. BPS10 on the low price end, or Browning Gold 10, if you want a semi auto with a bit less weight.

I am a firm believer in the Beretta autos. 301,302,303, 390, 391. The Beretta gas system is so much better than any other auto shotgun on the market............ I shoot a lot of sporting clays and also give shooting lessons, so I get to see what works and what doesn't. Beretta all the way baby. I don't shoot a Beretta auto for my competition gun, but i do hunt with one and they are definitely first class. A pump gun may be better for what you want. My vote there, goes to the benelli nova. The trigger isn't as nice as I would like, but it still is a fine gun. The Benelli auto have a great reputation, but I have seen to many lost targets in competition to count on one for myself. The Benelli auto doesn't seem to work well with light target loads. I do have a good friend that hunts ducks with me, and he loves his Benelli SBE. Beretta gets my vote followed by remington then Benelli for an auto shotgun. Pump shotgun Benelli is the one and a good old 870 is a close second. JMHO. Lee

Thanks - I am kind of lost on those websites. What can these shotguns do that my 870 or 1100 with a Vang barrell cant do.? I was shooting a 70m 3" slug patterns with with my 870.

I want to get another shotgun - I just dont know what to get,

Not a thing if it is stricktly a beat around hunting shotgun. Remington is ok in my book. You need to decide what you want the other shotgun for. What will its main purpose be for the new shotgun. These are the things we need to know. It sounds like you already have what you need for hunting yotes. Lee

I shoot a Benelli Nova and it is a really good gun.I also shoot a Benelli Super Black Eagle 2 and it is also a really good gun and it doesnt kick quite as hard as the Nova with those 3.5inchers in it.But the 870 is hard to beat so if its working for ya I wouldnt switch unless you just want a new shotgun and there aint nothing wrong with that.Benelli has a new Super Black Eagle 2 in a turkey gun that would serve as an awesome coyote killer as well.If I was going to get a new shotgun for coyotes that is the one that I would get personally but Im also a Benelli fan. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
So my 870 is more then adequate for coyote depite all of its tactical additions?

Out of curiousity...
What are you considering "tactical additions"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You may already own a gun that will do whatever needs doing on a predator. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

You got everything you need to kill a coyote, maybe invest in a choke dedicated for coyote hunting. Now if you are looking for an excuse to buy another gun go right on ahead and make that purchase! Benelli is a fine semi auto, but very pricey, 10 guage, your not really gaining anything there, already been down that road! I personally use my dedicated turkey gun wich is a Mossberg 835. Bad thing about the Mossberg is while shooting the 3.5 inch stuff you should wear a mouthpeice because it will kick the s__t out of you!!! Kinda like an angry mule unleashing its furry on ya!

Quote:
Benelli is a fine semi auto, but very pricey, 10 guage, your not really gaining anything there, already been down that road! I personally use my dedicated turkey gun wich is a Mossberg 835. Bad thing about the Mossberg is while shooting the 3.5 inch stuff you should wear a mouthpeice because it will kick the s__t out of you!!! Kinda like an angry mule unleashing its furry on ya!

You must have been using factory loads out of your 10ga. to come to that conclusion. As a matter of fact, so did I, when I shot my first factory 10ga. lead loads, Federals and Remingtons. Pretty sorry performance, considering their cost.

But, with hand loading, the 10ga. can outperform, on average, the 12ga. particularly using large lead shot. The .723-725" bores of the Benellis and Berettas are not the best to handle large lead shot. If I wanted to shoot large lead shot from a 12 ga, my first choice would be a Mossy. 835 or 935, because of the bore ID and the chokes.

Now that a few sources of high quality heavier than lead tunsten based shot has become available to the handloader, the 10 ga. can be loaded to out perform the 12ga. shooting the better tungsten based shells, too.

But, the extra two pounds in the 10ga. lightens up the recoil that loosens your teeth when fired in the 835.

A good buffered handload of 4 buck or BB's and a good patterning choke and it's hard to beat a 10, when shooting lead.

These were shot at 40 yards with a 2oz. handload, through a .705 Terror choke, except the Hevishot load, which is a factory load.

4buck pattern at 40 yards.

ImageResizedPictures015.jpg

Lead BB's

Picture1010.jpg

Lead 2's

Picture1011.jpg

Rem. Hevishot 2's, center circle is 15" in diameter

Picture1066.jpg

Benelli are great hunting shotguns. For clay sports however i think the Beretta is the hands down winner. I just got done doing a little research. I was looking at all the records of the state sporting clays shoots back to 2000. As most of use know sporting clays is a lot like hunting. A good field gun will make a good sporting clays gun, for the most part. I only found one state shoot winner that won shooting a benelli sport. His name is Luke Hastings and he won the New Mexico state shoot with a benelli shotgun back in 2002. I do not hate Benelli by any means. I have a benelli nova and it is a good shotgun, But for some reason nobody wants to compete with them in the game i love so much (sporting clays). Maybe it is because of the extra recoil? I really dont know. I have had a few students of mine have problems with there Benelli auto while i was giving them lessons. I think I have coached 4 different kids that shot benelli sports and if i recall correctly all 4 had trouble shooting a lite load out of there gun. I really dont know why i dont see more Benellis on the courses? I have shot a couple of them on league nights at the local clubs, seemed half way decent to me? I have always liked berettas. I have seen many many world class shooters kick the crap out of they guys who shoot k- guns. Kreighoff kolar, even Perazzi. In my own educated experience beretta dominates the world of semi auto shotguns. Beretta dosnt spend the money benelli does to promote there product, But it doesnt seem to matter from what i have experienced. I have an old Beretta 390 that i like to shoot. It has had a bazillion shells through it, and it keeps on a tickin. Either way I dont see a looser in this discusion. Benelli or beretta or even a remington will serve most people a life time of enjoyment. So what i would suggest is to go get your hand on a few different models and see witch one feels the best to you. If it doesnt fit you will never be happy. Thats all I got, thanks Lee

Here's what I use for turkeys. Shot an 870 3 inch for a few years and an 870 3.5 inch super mag for a few years and find this Mossy 835 the best of the bunch. It's already tapped for a scope or a red dot sight and shoots very tight groups for turkey. comes in camo and ported and doesn't kick me near as hard as the 870 3.5 inch did.

Lots of good shotguns on the market, but this one comes with sights and tapped and sling swivels. It added ten yards to my killing radius for turkeys.

Mossberg835-1.jpg

A red dot sight really makes it easy to use.

Mossy1.jpg

The porting aids in recoil reduction.

Mosberr835frontsight.jpg

Hey CDR, cant possibly argue with those patterns! You have obviously done your homework. And yes you are correct, the only thing I ever shot out of my 10 guage was the factory stuff, never did load my own shotgun shells.

Here is a really good primer on predator hunting shotguns, in case you missed it...

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb...e=0&fpart=1

As you can see, I'm a Benelli guy all the way. Benelli is tops for hunting, followed closely by Beretta. Benelli Tactical Model M1S90 and Benelli Turkey Model M1S90 with a few critters. I could go on, but you probably get my point... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Tac_foxes.jpg

Tac_coyote3.jpg

18520Benelli_coyote.jpg

18520Grey_Fox_Benelli.jpg

18520000_0004.JPG

18520100_0260.jpg

here is my 870 HD, so far I havent taken a coyote with it but with HDBB and #4 buck its a deadly on skunks and porcupines at 40-45yds. Still havent found that magical choke/load combo yet, so If its bigger than that itll have to be closer lol. I just brought it to the gunsmith paid him around 45 bucks to put in a choke, slapped on a scope and a stock and out it went. Im thinking of gettin teh tactical 1100 just for the fun factor, semi autos are nice.

camm005.jpg

Good luck.

Dave

Back