spot & stalk

whaknstak

How about this technique? Any body in the east drive around just using a spotting scope or binocs to find resting coyotes and then stalk and/or call to get 'em?

i think you would have better luck looking for pot of gold, but let me know how you make out i would try anything, i think i am going to use my mother in law as bait, but they wouldnt want to deal with either.

I do some of that here in Illinois. It can get interesting. Generally when you know a critter is out there your blood really gets going. Good Luck!

Whaknstak,

We use to do that for fox hunting, a RED loves to lay in the mid morning sun at least that is when we would catch them napping!, But only in the winter the bright red sticks out like a sore thumb,...Now that's if you knew what to look for like many, I'm sure, I learned this tactic from an "ol Timer" who showed me where to look an what to look for......
1. He said, "look for a round red rock near the top of an open field next and sometimes just within the hedge rows on a sunny snow covered day"
2. "Check your wind and off you go stalking, for some reason if there balled up and suckin up the sun they really want to be left alone and in most cases hold there ground, which of course, then, made it fairly easy to get within shooting range....Oh! don't be surprised if the mate is awake. this ends the stalk quickly look for her as well!

As for yotes I wouldn't put it pass them as well but the problem is there isn't to many RED coyotes, is there?..

Thank's WHAKNSTAK for reminding me of this tactic
it use to be a good one when REDS brought $45-60 a pelt.

ROGER'S RANGERS FIRST STANDING ORDER..."DON'T FORGET NOTHING"

Vaportrail,
My grandpa and my great uncle stalked foxes for years. That was hunting. For the most part they did it with shotguns and #2's. In later years when coyotes started appearing they started carrying rifles, although 2 of the guys always carried a shotgun for coyotes as well. They killed a lot of coyotes that way!! The coyotes were generally pushed to them at that time.

Spotting and stalking is by far and away my favorite method of hunting any animal but coyotes here in Florida on public land see a LOT of hunters during just about any season you can carry a firearm and they are largely nocturnal during those times.

That doesn't mean that you won't see them if you put in some serious binocular time but it can be frustrating if you don't enjoy glassing.

In the summer they're quite easy to spot crossing powerlines and on long open ridges that have had recent burns.

It's really a hit or miss proposition and certainly a numbers game but if you spend enough time with binoculars growing out of your face in a place with a long view you will usually see a lot more wildlife that you would ever imagine.

$bob$

Foxking...You was thinking about using your monther-in-law as bait....I was thinkin about using my wife as bait....but it probably wouldn't be fair for the yotes..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Back