Easy AR Modification

ARCOREY

Last night I installed a new Ace skeleton stock on my RRA 24" varmint to replace my standard A-2 stock. This came about after the suggestions of a few members on here telling of the ease of acquiring a better scope picture with a low mounted scope due to the thinner section of stock were the cheek weld is. After installing the stock I went to install the sling swivel and noticed it was for the military loop style sling not the QD hunting type sling that I used with my adapted A-2. I put the sling loop in a vice and and heated the loop cherry red at the turn in the loop with a propane torch. I then grabbed it with a pair of pliers and pulled it out of the screw in stud. With the loop gone it was visable that the stud isn't drilled all the way through like a standard sling stud. I drilled it out with a 9/64 drill bit then installed it in the rear position of the Ace stock. I tighted the stud using an allen wrench as a handle and now it looks as if the stud was made for QD slings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif. Now sight picture is much better and I dropped a few ounces off the pig in the process. I noticed that field of view was much easier to acquire now that the wider A-2 stock is gone. Prone target testing will happen later today, but I think it will do fine. Now if that Tubb flatwire spring would just get here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. For anyone that has not removed an AR buttstock, there is a little surprise spring on the right side of the stock between the receiver and buttstock. It is very small and willing to flee the first chance it gets, BEWARE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif. It puts tension on the rear takedown pin and is hard to find in deep pile carpet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

Here is a tip for you...
Empty your vacuum and then run it all over the room. Empty it out and search through the contents (dirt).
I had to find a spring this way once and my daughter was laughing the whole time.

My reloading room still has that 70's shag carpet in it. That stuff is wilder than Carrot Top's hair /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I think there are places a dirt devil wouldn't dare go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. I was lucky to have heard the spring hit a nearby object and narrowed the search from there. Luckily I still have excellent hearing and sight and was able to recover the tiny spring. I think this is a good excuse to put down some of that locking faux wood flooring in the room. Now to just find a place to put everything while doing it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. That is a good tip on the vacuum trick. I have a bagless, it should be even easier the next time this happens, ya know I learn the hard way/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

what I used when my spring/detents went sproinging across the room, and yes on Carpet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif was a carpet rake, you get em at the flooring/hardware store. Just go across the floor lightly and whalaa! you can see it pop right up.

oh and a patient wife who is willing to help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hope you like your new stock!

Dave

Cool mod Corey! When I was putting together my new lower I found that I needed the cheapo spotlight in the pic to find that same little spring a couple of times /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I think I'll stay away from the vacum idea because if the Boss ever saw me even touching it she would assume I knew how to use it and put me to work!
5.jpg

Trashcan
DCC

Either the Trashcan is short or I spy a Strawberry Shortcake booster seat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Have a little help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif?

Quote:
Either the Trashcan is short or I spy a Strawberry Shortcake booster seat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Have a little help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back