Is this hunting ??????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
You have to have some screws loose to enjoy watching a wild animal be torn apart by domesticated dogs.

Are these people with weak stomachs and Disneyesque compassion being "forced" to watch hound coursing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

no screws are loose, did i say i enjoyed it? i do not run dogs and probably never will. but i will never turn my back on my fellow sportsman. they have been running dogs on animals for longer then you know.

Are these people with weak stomachs and Disneyesque compassion being "forced" to watch hound coursing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Let me ask you this, how would you rther die? By a bullet or by five dogs chewing on you a$$ for two mintues? Aniaml cruelty is not good for any any sport including hunting and that is what is in the video.

So grad some granola as this hurts our sport. Like I said no one wins with animal cruelty, ask Michael Vick.

will it help if i say you are right? you are wrong, your statements will hurt hunting more then that, why would you want to compare that to dog fighting?
think.

Whatever cgmartin, your right I am wrong. Let me ask you this then. Why are there so many people on this forum that hunt coyotes that dont agree with this? Something must be wrong with it so chew on your granola and think about that.

Why don't all of you rocket scientists (despite the name association, not you, NASA) get your heads out of your nether regions and quit feeding the trolls?

Think about what is going on here.

Save the ethics debates for times when you are certain that you're not being baited by an ARF.

2robinhood didn't just pop in the door with the topic at hand as his introductory post in anticipation of a warm and hearty hello. If I'm wrong, then he can prove it.

Post a positive topic that shows that you have experience and a heritage to back it up.

Don't expect an apology if I am wrong.

It is one way to control the yote population. I have 300 acres part of which is for improving the upland bird population. One time five yotes were seen hunting the area. If I had known some dog runners I would have ask them to come onto my land. I have not seen them when I have had a varmint rifle in the pick up. Ask any cattle rancher and find out if they give a dam how the yote population is controlled.

Kayo. you've got 1/2 of it. The other half is that 2robinhood and her buddies don't want you eating meat so the more the cattle rancher is displeased, the better.

When someone commits a capital crime, we kill them for killing. These hounds are killing the coyote in the same manner that the coyote kills his own food, nature is cruel. An entire pack of coyotes would not have any problem killing off dogs or anything else that posed a threat.

Right or wrong, its a sport thats been around for a very long time. I dont run hounds, have no desire to but to each their own.

I have hunted coyotes a few times in this manner many years ago. Most guys will run a coyote with grey hounds and then send in a kill dog. The guys I hunted with used airdales. It was always a quick kill. The guys in this video are practicing a time tested method of hunting in an unethical manner. It's kind of like calling a poacher a hunter. Just my 2 cents worth.

United we stand, divided we fall. Dale

We all have different ethics about hunting.

There are different methods of getting coyotes that don't appeal to everyone, but are used.

I don't personally comdemn those that choose a different way of hunting for anything....There are those that use deer feeders & blinds for deer, & use dogs or drives for deer, or drive around with high seat rigs to hunt heavy brush.....

Coyotes are called, trapped, chased with dogs & motorcycles, poisoned, shot on sight, and taken from aircraft. Doesnt mean it's "wrong" just different.

Again, in my opinion, we might want to practice some tolerance of methods we don't use, as the debates that occur in places where we congregate can only cause seperation of OUR ranks.

It also fuels the Anti's...
I think they infiltrate our websites & promote topics that will induce trouble amoung ourselves.

Barry

This is very true if ALL hunters gun hunters, dog hunters,and trappers don't band together there will nothing to bi@@t at each other about. The anti's will take away from all of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Running coyotes with dogs is an effective way to help control coyote populations. I'd rather see a couple of kill dogs finish the coyote once the running hounds catch it though.

I agree with this...keep a few pits in the truck along with the other running dogs so they can atleast kill the coyote quick and easy.

Sighthounds on predators is how I started hunting predators. We use to spot them, then stalk in on them with our hounds. Took skill to get close to coyotes & Red Fox, especially coyotes. Try getting close to one, even w/o a dog, LOL!

As for a group of hounds chasing/fighting/killing a coyote. Some of you apparently have no idea how bad-a$$ a coyote is in a fight "one on one" with a dog. The average coyote will be all over one hound. Let alone one hound being able to kill a coyote is VERY remarkable. Even if the dog out weighs the coyote 2-3x.

A coyote is fast as greased lightening in a fight[buzz-zaw] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Very LONG teeth, can open their mouth about 180 degree's et possess a boatload of grit & endurance.

An old farmer friend houndsman of my Dad & I. Dumped his experienced hounds on a 65lb Black coyote in SouWest Iowa one Winter, many moons ago.

Coyote[hybrid, he thought] kicked butt on all of those tough dogs[no problem]. Eventually, his VERY large Greyhound [kill dog] got on scene. That coyote held his own with that brute dog. Kill-dog was 39" @ the shoulder a massive hound & all kick butt. They shot that coyote.

If this type of hunting bother's you. Avert your gaze.

Quote:
Why don't all of you rocket scientists (despite the name association, not you, NASA) get your heads out of your nether regions and quit feeding the trolls?

Think about what is going on here.

Save the ethics debates for times when you are certain that you're not being baited by an ARF.

2robinhood didn't just pop in the door with the topic at hand as his introductory post in anticipation of a warm and hearty hello. If I'm wrong, then he can prove it.

Post a positive topic that shows that you have experience and a heritage to back it up.

Don't expect an apology if I am wrong.

This guy could not me MORE right!!! I mean its allmost like 2robinhood found this website and no is showing all his ANTI buddies how we can't even agree on everything that is "right" or "wrong"....let it go until you know what battle you are actually fighting! Hell who knows about who this guy is....very possible that he post sh*t like this just to stir up an arguement and give them more ammo to take what rights we have left away!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

you guys say it is not hunting but yet you will call in the spring and kill a b&*&^ with pups and let them starve and you call it hunting to each his own.if you dont like what you see do not bash the way they hunt.

I don't question if it is legal or time honored. No question it is an effective method of predator control. My quip is I don't see any sportsmanship or challenge in it. Other than the joy of hearing the dogs run (there is nothing like the sound of a redbone baying in the night)what does the human element get out of it?

There is a difference in outsmarting the game or being a active participant in the hunt, and no I don't consider chasing after the dogs and then sending one in for the kill as being a "skill" Running an animal till it is exhausted and then expecting it to whoop several opponents to get away is in no way a fair fight. So what is the appeal the bragging rights that "my 5 dogs killed ran a coyote to the point of exhaustion and then mauled it to death" I not condemning it but I wish someone could explain what they get out of it to met?

I hunt for food, the challenge and enjoyment of it. I like to be a participant when I hunt, not an observer. I just fail to see it any of those values in this type hunting. I also believe that you should hunt ethically and attempt to make a quick clean kill. I sure don't see that is. I may be able to see this if the coyote had some natural advantage such as size or speed but there are none I know of.

If you want to call it extermination or pest control then that makes sense. If you want to call it a sport then I’m all ears for your take on this.

When someone disagrees with you it does not mean they are an Anti or troll. It means they have a difference set of values. It is good to disagree on some things; it opens our eyes to things we often miss. Calling some an Anti because they don't agree with you sounds like paranoia to me. Work out your differences here on the board, then stand together and stop the name calling. It makes us all look juveniles.

Last edited:
I find this form of hunting very interesting and proves to be an extrememly effective way of ridding coyotes. Although Id rather call one in, I think that everyone has a right to do what they want as long as it is legal where they are. Being an archery hunter, I think rifle hunting is more like shopping than hunting, who cant shoot an animal with a rifle?...................how did that make you rifle hunters feel? Although thats not how I really feel, being judged on way of hunting isnt the responsibility of this forum. It is our job to put forward the best image we can, for 99% of us love what we do and are responsible and have enough respect for the sport to protect it. Like it or not YOU are associated with this guy as "the same people" in the eyes of the antis. Should this guy be video taping these hunts and puting them on Youtube, Hell no. Hunting provides instances where the things seen need to go no further than the field. Ive spined a few elk in my day and it is an ugly site. Would I video tape it and put it on youtube, no. Use our heads on what we post up and we wont give the trolls reasons to think we are just killers and not hunters. I think there is a better way to share graphic videos other than youtube. I like to watch pd explode as much as the next guy, and coyotes getting run down by some greyhounds,but we dont want just everyone to watch these things.
Its our job to keep eachother in check, so we can try to keep a good name for the sport.

My 2cents

For hound hunters the thill and sport of it all is NOT in the kill, but in the chase. The hounds did the work, why shouldn't they get the prize. It is what they were bread for and what they enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back