Do you worry about hiding your stainless barrel while coyote hunting

One of the most difficult things about calling predators is the fact that there is often no way of knowing exactly why you have or have not been successful. Sure, you may well have called some coyotes that didn't see your barrel glare, but did any coyotes respond to your calling only to be spooked by the glare and leave before you ever saw them?

This is the question that I continually ask myself, but I will never know the answer. Because of this fact I try to do what has been said above and eliminate as many variables as possible.

Of the half dozen or so variables to calling coyotes successfully, using my calling rifles with bare stainless steel barrels, is not even on the radar screen of things to worry about.

I think I might be like the people who said might as well. I think that it can't hurt anything and it won't take that long to do. Hunting in IL, usually the shots aren't really long, so they have a closer look at you. I'd hate to get buted for something like that.

I've done it both ways--doesn't make much of a difference if you are wearing good camo and sit in the shade.

23339100_0761.JPG

23339Coyote_Jan_7_2007-3.jpg

I found tan and white vet at Wal Mart. You can take the shine off the stainless steel by using a white nylon abrasive pad on the area.

I have hunted with a lot of experienced coyote hunters, unless they are totally dedicated to night hunting, they all have their gun barrels taped or painted if they are not matt finish barrels whether they are blued or stainless.

Guys that take this sport very seriously almost universally do everything they can to not give the coyote the upper hand, especially when it involves something that is as easy as taping up a barrel.

There are many ways to hunt yotes, and this discussion does not take into account the variations in hunting techniques that many people use. Some people hunt exclusively out of their trucks, some people make stands away from their vehicle, and some people night hunt almost exclusively, and some people hunt off of 4 Wheelers. Each method of hunting will provide it's challenges to try and outsmart the coyote. To what degree you take up the challenge to try and outsmart the coyote is a personal thing. One thing is for sure, the Coyote is the smartest animal that you will ever hunt. The Coyote's eye sight, hearing, and sense of smell will not allow you to make many mistakes and get away with it.

Back