Forming 17 Remington from 223 brass

WEHMAN

Went to a yard sale today. I found a set of Redding forming dies which are marked 223 to Rem 17. There is a forming die, trim die and a reamer. I have heard that you can make 17 Rem from 223 from some people and others said it was not a good idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I bought these for $10.00 so it won't be a big loss if it is not a good idea. Any advise will be welcome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

.17 Rem brass isn't that expensive or even hard to come by. Last I bought some it was $1 more than .204
A lot easier than forming something, and the headstamps are correct when you are done.

It's been awhile since you have bought some. It is double what 204 is now. I bought 100 from Sportsman wharehouse for 38 bucks. Midway was even higher. 204 brass has been about 18 a hundred. With 223 free for the picking up at the range. If you don't what the forming dies send me a PM I will pay double what you gave for them.

If I measured right the neck is a little shorter. Will this make a big difference? I still will be able to seat so that the bullet is the same distance from the lands. Will this cause excessive erosion, being the necks are shorter?
Unless it is dangerous or will cause some other problem, I think I will try to make some. I know I will have to work up a new load using this brass. I plan to weigh and sort by weight.

Run em through the former, fireform to fit your chamber, check the neck thickness for clearance. In a factory chamber, you may not even have to ream them. The shorter necks won't cause a problem.

RagnCajn,
How do you keep the brass from getting folds when the shoulder is pushed back? I was trying last night and couldn't keep from getting folds in the shoulder. I tried unannealed cases and annealled cases and both got folds in the shoulder. I shot them with reduced loads thinking they will straighten out but they didn't. When I cleaned my die I found some brass chips and lube in the vent hole of my die. I clean the die after every use, but I haven't checked the vent hole for a while. I didn't try forming any brass after I found those chips in the vent hole, maybe that was my problem. Have you had any shoulder fold problems?

I have never had that happen in forming. I use Imperial wax for all forming of my wildcats and necking down operations. Definately clean out the vent hole, it will fold shoulders in short order if not vented. Here is my procedure for all necking down, necking up, and wildcat forming.

Set the die way light,( just barely making contact with the brass). lube a case with Imperial. size and check for bolt closure, most likely it won't close, turn die about 1/8 turn down. repeat sizing and chamber check. continue till you get a slight resistance on closure, then run the batch. Now load with a mid range of the fastest powder you can use in that cartridge. fireform the cases to fit the chamber.

Send me a PM with your phone number and I will call to talk you through it if you want.

Back