Help - Winchester 22-250 "White box" 45gr. velocity Q

TheBaron

I made a trip to the range today with my new chronograph. I shot a wide variety of factory ammo and handloads, from 3 different rifles, and all velocities were about 200-250 fps lower than expected. But, I don't know if that is the fact or if the chrony is not reading right. I shot a fair bit of Winchester factory 22-250 ammo (45gr. JHP) and got consistent readings of 3,720-3,780 fps from a 22" barrel. Factory ballistics claim 4,000 fps muzzle velocity for this stuff, but they don't mention barrel length. The temperature here today was about 35 F.

Has anyone here shot the Winchester factory 45gr. JHP ammo (40 rd. white box stuff) in 22-250 over a chronograph? If yes, can you please tell me your barrel length, approx. temperature and the velocities you were reading?

Thanks!

thats normal, factory ammo always has a faster published velocity that what it actualy does is most firearms, welcome to the real world of ballistics!
RR

Most factory published data regarding MV is obtained by firing through test barrels, which normally have tighter chambers and more consistent bore diameters than is normal in "civilian" barrels.

Over the course of chroning quite a few factory loads over the years, I've never once found one that traveled as fast as "published" through one of my rifles. In fact, if one clocks less than 100 fps slower that published, I'm surprised. Occasionally, it's considerably more of a spread than that.

Mike

Yeah, that's true. Most "magnums" are factory tested at 26" barrel length, while most "available" platforms have 24".

Standard chamberings are usually tested at 24", though most commercially available rifles are at 22" and often less. My Browning ABolt II Hunter with BOSS is a prime example. It's listed length is 22", but that includes the BOSS. From boltface to muzzle crown measures 19 7/8", which is its true "ballistic" length.

Mike

I have not chronographed the 22-250 but I have checked the Winchester WB .223 in 45gr which says its traveling at 3600fps but in reality is 3375fps average from a 22inch barrel.

I shot three rounds of the "White box" 22-250 45 gr out of my rem 700 ADL 24" barrel over a chrony and they were 4260fps average. They are very accurate but I don't shoot them anymore...too hot.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have not chronographed the 22-250 but I have checked the Winchester WB .223 in 45gr which says its traveling at 3600fps but in reality is 3375fps average from a 22inch barrel.

Pretty much right in line, venatic. I chrono'd the shells from my M-70 with a 24" bbl, and I believe my average was around 3400 to 3425.

Another instance of the factory being overly optimistic--over-promise and under-perform!

Tim

Mr. Doyle: What do they do on coyotes? Haven't had the opportunity to connect with one yet with this load--maybe I should not even try, huh?

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:
They are very accurate but I don't shoot them anymore...too hot.

And bad performers on coyotes.

Well I shot a red fox with one of these with devastating results...it was laying down facing directly toward me so I put one right in it's chest. Went in it's chest and broke it's back leg on the way out.

Quote:
Mr. Doyle: What do they do on coyotes? Haven't had the opportunity to connect with one yet with this load--maybe I should not even try, huh?

My opinion only on these of course, and I haven't bought any in some time, but they shoot pretty well off the bench other than the 1 out of 8 to 10 extreme flyer (by extreme I mean in the 6 inch range). On coyotes I have had and witnessed EXTEMELY bad splash wounds to the point that I would say the bullet didn't kill the animal it just wounded it to the point of death. After a few very bad kills I just shot them up and reloaded the brass with a better combo. I won't touch them for hunting at this point, there are just too many good bullets designed for hunting to justify it in my mind. Like I say, my opinion only. I know a lot of folks just love this offering so results must surely vary.

Quote:
Quote:

My opinion only on these of course, and I haven't bought any in some time, but they shoot pretty well off the bench other than the 1 out of 8 to 10 extreme flyer (by extreme I mean in the 6 inch range). On coyotes I have had and witnessed EXTEMELY bad splash wounds to the point that I would say the bullet didn't kill the animal it just wounded it to the point of death. After a few very bad kills I just shot them up and reloaded the brass with a better combo. I won't touch them for hunting at this point, there are just too many good bullets designed for hunting to justify it in my mind. Like I say, my opinion only. I know a lot of folks just love this offering so results must surely vary.

Mr. Doyle, I agree with you whole heartedly. Not on the white box stuff as you say but in the V-Max's. I know it's supposed to be a great varmint/predator round but I too got a bad bunch once and they performed very poorly. Now there are way to many people who use them with outstanding results for my experience to be the norm, but it just caused me to lose all confidence in the round to try them again. But as I said I know I had to have gotten a bad batch so I'm not trying to sway anyone from them because I know too many people who use them and they work great.
Chupa

Agreed on the V-Max. I tried them some this year and they will not be in a stand with me next season.

Quote:
I know it's supposed to be a great varmint/predator round but I too got a bad bunch once and they performed very poorly.

How are you sure that you and I got a bad batch? If batchs run to that end of the spectum then I cannot trust them period in a hunting situation.

Quote:
Now there are way to many people who use them with outstanding results for my experience to be the norm

How many people do you know personally that are getting outstanding results? Personally I know of nobody that I have met face to face. If you are just hearing of "Internet" results then you may want to take them with a grain of salt.

Not saying that some have not had good success with the j-hollow point Winny White box or the V-Max, just saying I have not seen it personally.

Quote:
Agreed on the V-Max. I tried them some this year and they will not be in a stand with me next season.

Quote:
I know it's supposed to be a great varmint/predator round but I too got a bad bunch once and they performed very poorly.

How are you sure that you and I got a bad batch? If batchs run to that end of the spectum then I cannot trust them period in a hunting situation.

Quote:
Now there are way to many people who use them with outstanding results for my experience to be the norm

How many people do you know personally that are getting outstanding results? Personally I know of nobody that I have met face to face. If you are just hearing of "Internet" results then you may want to take them with a grain of salt.

Not saying that some have not had good success with the j-hollow point Winny White box or the V-Max, just saying I have not seen it personally.

What I meant to say was that I have no experience with the White Box but understood what you meant in your post and had the same experience with a supposed "proven varmint round". Or that at one time I worked in a QC department of a very well known manufacturer(not in the firearms industry) and as good as our product was and is, Garbage did get out ocassionally. To our customers that recieved that junk I fully understand any loss of confidence in our product, even though the mistakes were FAR AND FEW BETWEEN.

Chupa

Thanks venatic and Bloody_Tailgate for the real info./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have owned chrony's before and am well aware that factory ballistics are usually quite optimistic. What had me wondering is that everything I shot, from 3 guns (factory and several reloads) seemed consistently slower than both factory ammo stats and reloading manual specs. I just wondered if my new chrony was reading slow. Maybe not. I'll try to find someone who can set their chrony in line with mine and I can get some direct readings to check. I think that will be the only way to satisfy myself.

BTW... I also found the Winchester 45gr. stuff to be hot - flat primers on every round. But accuracy was pretty decent. I shot 3, 3 shot groups at 100m with my new .22-250. Groups were 1.1" (included fouler), 0.65" and 1.0".

Back