Scope for turkey gun

MJM

Im looking to scope my turkey gun (Mossberg 835) and have been reading a lot about red dot and low mag scopes. Ive hunted with iron sights my whole life and would like some suggestions on turkey scopes from personal experiences.

Thanks

Mark

I have a MOSSBERG TACTICAL 535 TURKEY gun and I put a camo tasco red -dot on it and I can say I absolutely love it for yotes and turkeys and strongly suggest you do the same.

I have a Bushnell 1.5x-4x with the circle x reticle on my 870 that I really like. I have used a Bushnell Trophy Multi Dot Red Dot sight but personally I prefer the scope.
I put the red dot on my Ruger NMBH 41 Mag for hogs and really like it.
If you can, try both to see which one you prefer.

I use a Bushnell Trophy it has 4 types of reticles. A small dot a larger dot, a crosshair and a circle with a dot. Also has 5 settings of brightness in green and red. I really like a red dot over a scope plus I like no more than 1 magnification. On my red dot. I use the red don't even need the green color to be honest you can't see it half the time. I only use the 2 dots as well so I got more than I need but I wanted a sturdy red dot. I CAN'T SAY THIS ANY CLEARER. DON'T SKIMP ON SCOPE OR RED DOT. With the recoil involved in the new 3 1/2's & most shotguns one of those $20 red dots from wal-mart may last you a few shots but I wouldn't trust it on a hard earned turkey.

I'm shooting a Mossberg 835 with an Aimpoint 5000 red dot sight on it and though I don't use it for coyotes it's a great turkey gun. It's got the 24 inch ported barrel and it's much nicer to shoot than the 870 3.5 inch gun I used before and it comes drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

Mossberg835-1.jpg

Thanks guys, I've got a good base to start my research, and it also gives me a great excuse to spend a rainy Sat at the local gun shop!

Thanks again

Mark

Quote:
Im looking to scope my turkey gun (Mossberg 835) and have been reading a lot about red dot and low mag scopes. Ive hunted with iron sights my whole life and would like some suggestions on turkey scopes from personal experiences.

Thanks

Mark

Why do you now feel the need for glass on your rig?

I have a 1.75 x 4 Bushnell on one gun and a Bushy red dot on the other. Both guns shoot very tight and I've found that having glass greatly increases the odds of the target being in the center of the pattern. After shooting paper with both guns last week, I prefer the scope over the red-dot, but both are great IMO.

Quote:
Why do you now feel the need for glass on your rig?

I'm geting to the point my eyes arn't as good as they were when I was 20, I've never hunted with a scope before and I'd like to try it, and I'd rather scope my turkey gun than my model 94 deer rifle...I don't know if I'll be able make a decision by our May 1st opener, but I'd like to have the option if I want it.

Thanks

Mark

MJM,
My 835 has killed two low end reticle scopes and one low end red dot scope, thanks to the terrible recoil of 3.5" loads.

I've had an Aimpoint on another 3.5" 12ga. for the last five years now & it has survived nicely.

The benefits of an Aimpoint are:
1. 10,000hr battery life
2. completely waterproof
3. seemingly impervious to heavy recoil
4. the ability to pinpoint the center of your pattern on a specific area. Important when using ultra tight chokes.
5. Being truly parallax free, you can keep your cheek off the comb and not get smacked in the face with recoil.

I put a standard 3x9 on my 11-87 super mag ..works great ,no batteries to worry about ,the extra power is nice if you seen birds far away you can crank it up and look.

Back