Working up a load for a Savage 12FV in .223

ACLakey

Does anybody here have a pet load for a Savage 12FV in .223? I am going to go through the process of working up a load for my new rifle, but would like to get input from anybody that is shooting a similar setup. What are your thoughts on bullet selection? Primary uses will be ground squirrels, rock chucks, bunnies and then coyotes. Thinking about working up a 40gr vmax load for the smaller critters then either a 50 or 55gr Nosler BT for the coyotes....any thoughts?

My Savage just adores 26 grains of Varget with either the 50 grain Vmax or Nosler BT bullets. I usually use a CCI BR cap, but if I am out I just use whatever small rifle caps that I have on hand. I dont care much about what kind of brass that I use because the rifle itself dont seem to care. I can load it faster but I dont get any more accuracy than with this load. And accuracy is what I like most. More often than not, 5 shots touching at 100 yards with my gun.

With that 1-9" twist you may or may not get great groups with 40 grain bullets. I like to shoot ground squirrels with the 40 grain Vmax with 12 grains of Bluedot however. This load is only 2700-2800 fps but will put 3 in a half inch at 100 yards. Suprised the heck out of me but I will take it.

Oh, and I have sent quite a few praire dogs to pasture poodle heaven with that Varget load. I bet you be happy with it too.

Several of us have gotten very good accuracy from our 1 in 9 twist Savages using the 40 grain Vmax and H335. I won't make a specific recommendation powder charge, but with Federal and Rem. hulls, Fed. 205M primers somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 - 27 grains shot the best. Normally 3 shot groups were under .4" at 100 yards with fireformed cases. My rifle could do at or under .3" under ideal conditions, no mirage, no cross wind, and me shooting with no coffee. LOL

Thanks, these are the type of replies I am looking for. Just a poke in the direction of loads you guys have seen good results with.

I have never tried it, but a number of fellows are very happy using Win. 748, in lieu of H335. I know H335 pressures can go up considerably if you worked up your load at moderate temps, say 75-80 degrees, then try to shoot them at high temps often found during summer, like 90 or 95 degrees. Supposedly, the 748 is less temp sensitive.

My Savage FP10 and AR both like H335 behind 55 gr. NBT's chronographed a tad shy of 3300 fps. but the coyotes don't think much of that load /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif!

Won't quote the load as it is slightly above max. but shows no pressure signs in either rifle. Hodgdon #26 shows starting load of 23.0 for 3018 fps & max. of 25.3 for 3313 fps. Start low & work up.

I have not seen the heat sensitivity attributed to H335 myself but winter was on a Thursday last year down here and my loads were worked up on a Saturday w/temps in the high 90's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Regards,
hm

Quote:
winter was on a Thursday last year down here and my loads were worked up on a Saturday w/temps in the high 90's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Regards,
hm

Spoken like a true Texan! Ain't it the truth though?

Chupa

Worked up a load for my Tikka 1-12 --- 40gr. Sierra h.p. with 27.2gr. of H335 or AA-2230. Works great in my rifle. Great paper punching loads, Never tried

them on critters. Also like 13gr. of bluedot with same bullet. Work up all loads slowly,looking for pressure signs, especially bluedot loads. Invest in a loading Manual.

Quote:
I have never tried it, but a number of fellows are very happy using Win. 748, in lieu of H335. I know H335 pressures can go up considerably if you worked up your load at moderate temps, say 75-80 degrees, then try to shoot them at high temps often found during summer, like 90 or 95 degrees. Supposedly, the 748 is less temp sensitive.

I have never noticed this phenomena. But have had the best results with H335 like CDR had mentioned. My Stevens loves the 55 grain vmax and 25.5 grains of H335. This load has worked just fine with no increased pressure signs in my loads. Now this may be that I do not push my loads extra hot. But have hunted in the below zero weather and in the 100 degree weather for rockchucks in the summer.

The 748 is also a great powder that my .223's have liked.

I've never noticed H335 being more susceptible to temp. swings than any other powder.

As others above have stated, 60 grain Vmax will work wonders. 50's and 55's too. 40's are ok, not as consistent in my Savage.

WLR primer, Lake City Brass, H335, and 60 gr. vmax has been a winning combo for me from day one in my Savage .223

My Savage .223 12 FV loves the following loads:

Squirrel/Coyote Load:
40gr Vmax
Winchester brass
26.5gr H335
Federal 205M primer
COAL 2.220"
Muzzle velocity 3650 fps @60 degrees F, 1000 elevation

Target Load:
69gr SMK
Winchester brass
25.0gr IMR 4064
Federal 205M primer
COAL 2.600"
Muzzle velocity 3000 fps @60 degrees F, 1000 elevation

I am not a benchrest shooter, just a guy who likes to shoot small groups with marginal equipment and no training. Here is a target from my last outing shooting my hunting load. Each group is from a different seating depth, I was expiramenting. The fliers are my fault, I'm not a perfect shooter. This rifle is a lot more accurate than I am!
5c4fd306.jpg

And here is a target of my target load. 0.301" 5-shots.
00010a.jpg

Savage 12FV
B&C Medalist drop-in stock, which I painted.
Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40SF scope
No modifications other than the stock.
15716f4d.jpg

Stiff Neck, nice looking rifle and great shot groups. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I've heard good things about the 69gr SMK. Have you shot any coyotes with this bullet????

I use Win 748 in my Savage, have been for years, using Win cases and Rem 7 1/2 primers.

My rifle shoots several different loads all within the same or acceptable POI for coyotes.

My rifle likes the 55gr Nosler BT the best shooting at the .450 mark with 5 shots.

I had the day off, so I decided to head to the range and shoot some of the loads I have been working up. Here are some of the results, there are more that are not worth posting. Weather was between 50 and 60F, wind was calm up to the last hour when it picked up so did my group size. All of these groups were shot at 100yd off of bags. Here are some results and potential future loads to fine tune.

Load #1

40gr V-Max
26gr Varget
Win Brass
CCI 400 Primer
COAL = 2.22
HPIM1006.jpg

The lonely hole to the left was defiantly me!

Load #3

36gr Varmint Grenade
26gr Varget
Win Brass
CCI 400 Primer
COAL = 2.14
HPIM1003.jpg

I had a few fliers, but this may have potential. I might reload some and play with different primers and seating depth.

Load #5

50gr V-Max Molly
25gr Varget
Win Brass
CCI 400 Primer
COAL = 2.225
HPIM1002.jpg

This one has potential. I will load some more up and shoot again.

Load #6

36gr Varmint Grenade
26.5 gr Varget
Win Brass
CCI 400 Primer
COAL = 2.14
HPIM1004.jpg

Still not giving up on these bullets.

Load #8

50gr V-Max Moly
25.5 gr Varget
Win Brass
CCI 400 Primer
CAOL = 2.225
HPIM1005.jpg

Another load that has potential.

Load #10

50gr V-Max
26gr H335
Surplus Brass
Federal Match Primers
CAOL = 2.26
HPIM1007.jpg

This is a buddies plinking load and it shot good out of my gun.

Load # 11

40gr BlitzKing
25gr H335
Win Brass
Federal Match Primers
COAL = 2.195
HPIM1001.jpg

This is by far the best group of the day. I am defiantly going to load more of these up.

Overall I am impressed with the way the gun shoots. Out of all the loads I shot today none of the groups were over 1.5"...even with me flinching.

I went to the range this morning to shoot the second round of loads for the 12FV and to test the new paint job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It was a perfect morning for shooting, No wind, sunny, and I had the range to myself. When I arrived it was 37F and the temp got up to 45F as I was leaving.

Paint looks good and seems like it will hold up.

HPIM1019.jpg

HPIM1020.jpg

Here are some of the results, In general the rifle seems to like the H335 better than the Varget with the lighter bullets. It also seems to like between 25 and 26gr of powder the best. The only really good group I got with 27gr or more was with a Sierra Varminter HP which shot very well. The rifle does not like the 40gr Vmax with either power as much as it likes the Sierra bullets.

40gr Blitzking with 26gr of H335. I am liking these bullets, some of my best groups out of this rifle have come from them.

HPIM1029.jpg

40gr Blitzking with 25gr of H335. This load gave me the best group from last trip and still has potential!!

HPIM1031.jpg

40gr Blitzking with 27gr of H335. Groups are starting to open up with the additional powder.

HPIM1025.jpg

I have yet to shoot any critters with this bullet, but would like to soon.

36gr Varmint Grenade with 25gr H335. This load looks good as well.

HPIM1030.jpg

36gr Varmint Grenade with 26gr H335. Groups starting to open up(minus the flier which was my fault)

HPIM1028.jpg

40gr Varminter HP with 27gr H335. I am defiantly going to load more of these!!

HPIM1032.jpg

All in all I am very pleased with this rifle. I now have several good loads to fine tune. Can't wait to load a bunch of rounds up for chucks and squeeks.

My savage fv12 loves 55gr nos bt with 20.0 to 20.5gr h4198.
I tried a lot of 40gr nos with varget and H4198 with good results but not magic like the 55grs

Back