Ruger M77 Trigger

jdp3

Can someone direct me to very specific instructions on how to adjust the trigger on a Ruger M77 22-250... I need elementary type explanation. From where to start to take parts out etc.... I need them like i was explaining them to a 3rd grader. I need a guide as well. I've always just taken it to a gunsmith but don't like the $90 price tag. Im just getting started doing all of the work on my own guns and want to do this, my trigger needs to be lightened. I don't know what the parts in the trigger are called so, well you get the point. Please help...

Thanks so much

Save yourself the trouble and get a Timney replacement. Cheaper than $90, way superior to any work on the stock trigger, and very easy to install.

Working on the stock trigger is very tricky and can end up ruining it totally. All you can really do is polish the bearing surfaces. If you lessen the sear engagement, you'll need to have the sear heat-treated.

Timneys can be had for about $60 if you shop a bit and they say some of the others are great too but I've only used Timney in my Rugers.

I'd like to find a Timney for $60 - got any leads? They're finally in stock at Natchez and Midway, but for about $100. I'd love to save $40.

I agree with the others. The Ruger 77 requires light stoning to lighten up the pull,(in my experience). There are instructions floating around out there but I think it best to just go get a replacement.

Well, you guys talked me into. I now have a Timney trigger on the way from Lock, Stock, and Barrel, who had them for $85. It's for the wife's rifle. Hopefully I can install it in time for her to practice with it before our June 2 bear hunt.

Here's how it's done. I've done a lot of Ruger triggers, but have to say the folks above are giving you good advice. When your done you still have a trigger that isn't adjustable.

Ruger Model 77 Trigger

by
Michael Donaldson (aka Doc)

Webmasters note: This information is strictly for reference purposes only and is not intended for use by anyone other than a qualified gunsmith. The author, nor the webmaster will be liable for any incidents or accidents that occur through the use of this information. In laymans terms, if you are not a qualified gunsmith DO NOT MESS with your trigger. Leave it to the professionals!

The Ruger 77 trigger is one of the easiest factory triggers to rework. However, alterations to any firearm should be done only by a qualified gunsmith. This information is strictly for reference only and is not intended for use by anyone other than a qualified gunsmith. (guess why I had to put that in?)

Ruger firearms are designed to be strong, reliable, and SAFE. In doing this, they leave you with plenty of material to work with. In the model 77 bolt action rifle there are 2 main areas of complaint, that would be creep and weight. A third area could be considered as trigger over-travel.

Creep equals the distance the trigger must travel before releasing the sear. Weight equals the amount of force required to compress the trigger in order to fire. And over-travel is the distance the trigger travels after releasing the sear. If any of these are out of balance, they will be detrimental to the accuracy of ANY firearm. Ideally, the distance the trigger ‘creeps’ is imperceptible, the weight is light enough so as to not distort one’s hold on the firearm, and over-travel does not exist. With these definitions is becomes apparent that trigger WEIGHTS should vary according to the intended purpose of the firearm. A crisp, 3 pound trigger is as absurd on a bench rest rifle, as a 2oz trigger is on a hunting rifle. Remember safety is always #1. Keep the WEIGHT safe. All triggers should have minimal creep and no over-travel.
To fix the Ruger trigger one must understand its design. ‘Creep’ comes from the amount of trigger/sear engagement. Weight is a combination of trigger angle and spring tension, over-travel comes from the free swing of the trigger after the sear releases.

1. Standard factory trigger/sear engagement is about .035-.045. It equals the depth of the sear notch. This means that the trigger must move that entire distance before releasing the sear. Reducing this distance to .020 will safely reduce the perceptible ‘creep.’

2. The top angle of the trigger is steep enough that you must actually lift the sear in order to release it. Remember, the sear is already under tension from the bolt and firing pin. Increasing this angle to an even 90 degrees allows the trigger to follow a more natural arc and defeat the lifting action. Only enough metal needs to be removed to fully engage the sear, or about .025.

3. Next, a slight 45 degree bevel on the lead angle of the trigger will drastically increase the crispness of the trigger. Do only enough so as to extend perpendicularly forward about .005. This will actually help the sear to release, it is done on many custom 1911 triggers. With a .020 sear notch and the trigger done in this manner, you will still have a full .015 engagement of the trigger to the sear.

4. Polish all parts and bearing surfaces.

5. There are two solutions to the over-travel problem. (1) You can drill a hole in the front top end of the trigger for a small set screw and adjust accordingly. (2) You can drill a hole through the back of the trigger guard. The one in the trigger itself is theoretically better because it is supported against the action itself. Whereas the trigger guard screw is actually a third piece of connected metal. I have personally found no difference accept the trigger guard is easier to do and easier to set.

6. If the trigger and sear are wobbly because of the pins, simply purchase a couple of drill bits slightly larger that the existing holes, re-drill, cut off the bits and use them as pins. This is a key element when making the triggers extremely light.

7. I personally prefer the single stage triggers to the 2 stage trigger because my triggers are lighter than the 1st stage. You can actually pin the 2 sections if you like, just replace the connector spring with a pin. After you have done one, you will understand the principles, and should have no problem figuring the 2 stage. New springs are usually necessary in order to get very light triggers.

Some weights that I would recommend for intended uses would be 2-16oz (less than 1 pound) for a BENCH gun. Start heavier so that as you progress you can still feel the trigger. The ‘average’ hunter may not even realize they have touched a 2oz bench trigger. These rifles are ONLY chambered when aimed at the target, hence, they are not real conducive to hunting conditions. 16-40oz (1-2&1/2 pounds) on the average VARMINT gun. Most varmint hunting is done off of some form of rest where firearm is stabilized in a safe direction. Finally, the average hunting rig should be at least 2&1/2 pounds plus. These are just my suggestions and opinions.

GOOD LUCK and BE SAFE

That great, Idbob. Im going to try that on my 77 Ruger. Good detailed instructions. I dont like anything but crisp clean trigger pulls.

It's a piece of cake to adjust a Ruger M77 tang safety trigger with a Rifle Basix sear and about 10 minutes time. The new sear costs $38.00 from Midway and will allow you to adjust to a crisp clean pull of 2-3 lbs. The include good instructions that anyone can follow.

I have an older Ruger M77 in .223. I had a gunsmith lighten the trigger pull and it was very crisp and light. I used the rifle for PD shooting mostly and over the years not more than several hundred rounds, plus sightins.
Two years ago, I was going coyote hunting and when I chambered a round the closing of the bolt caused the round to discharge. It was pointed in a safe direction. I unloaded it and tried it again and found it to be intermitent about firing, some times when the bolt closed and sometimes not. I took it to another smith and he said that the parts are hardened on the out side and the stoning had worn the hardness off and I was operating in the soft. The wearing was causing the lack of engagement. That was all I needed to have the trigger replaced with a Timmney.
It is better than before and a safe rifle again.

Pack

I've done a number of Ruger 77 triggers, and the best aftermarket trigger is the Rifle Basix because it is easier to install. You don't have to do the safety hand fitting like you do with a Timney, or a Spec Tech trigger. That hand filing to get the safety to work is not easy.
Just tweaking the factory trigger leaves you with a non-adjustable trigger when you finish; not a bad way to go though if you want to save money. A spring change and parts polishing does leave you with a nice 2 1/2 pound pull.

Martyn

Quote:
Well, you guys talked me into. I now have a Timney trigger on the way from Lock, Stock, and Barrel, who had them for $85. It's for the wife's rifle. Hopefully I can install it in time for her to practice with it before our June 2 bear hunt.

The trigger will take some filing to get the safety to work. My advice is to take your time with a good cutting flat file. Resist the urge to take it to a grinding wheel.
With the trigger installed. Use a fine tip marker to mark the top and the side trigger spur.Where the of the safety meets the trigger. Take it down close then do the finish work.
Here is one that was "wheeled" Not a safe trigger in my opinion. The contact should be flat and to minimum tolerances.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg263/DHBWA/IMG_0038.jpg
It is easy to do if you just take your time!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The safety is quite easy to fit on a Timney. It just takes patience. I personally use a dremel and a rubber polishing wheel to get the final fit after getting it close with a hand file. My rifles have absolutely zero play in the safety and are better than factory.

Don't get intimidated. Once you see how it works, you'll see how simple it is. If you use common sense and patience, it's very hard to mess it up.

Wasn't me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

That was a picture someone sent me of one they had for sale./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I politely declined. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
If you use common sense and patience, it's very hard to mess it up.

Ah man, now you're asking a lot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Patience is a virtue, but I thought common sense was gone by the wayside...

Thanks for the input. I'll probably tackle this next week after the pig hunt this weekend, so I could be back on here asking for help.

Quote:
Can someone direct me to very specific instructions on how to adjust the trigger on a Ruger M77 22-250... I need elementary type explanation. From where to start to take parts out etc.... I need them like i was explaining them to a 3rd grader. I need a guide as well. I've always just taken it to a gunsmith but don't like the $90 price tag. Im just getting started doing all of the work on my own guns and want to do this, my trigger needs to be lightened. I don't know what the parts in the trigger are called so, well you get the point. Please help...

Thanks so much

i have a 1990 m77 in 220 swift with a heavy barrel and it has a adjustable trigger from the factory. i talked to a local gunsmith and he told me the older models had a adjustable triggers and the newer models did not. i took the stock off of mine and adjusted the trigger with the screw on the assembly and got it to 2 1/4 lbs with no malfuntions. the pull is clean and crisp. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back