TT - Cow Horn Tip Calls - Pictorial Progress on this batch

i agree asmith and the call he made my brother (elkhorn) is one of the purest sounding howlers there is.. and for him to take time and walk through the steps of building a call and answering our questions is just unbelivable what a great man

Not angered at all ASmith. It was a good question...I was just having some fun with you. To me, a toneboard that sticks under pressure is like having a bolt action rifle that the bolt sticks and jams. Useless in the field.

Mikeymike, Yes the air channel length will determine the pitch. Basically, the sound is produced by the reed slapping the toneboard. The longer the reed...the more travel up and down, thus a lower sound frequency/pitch. The shorter a reed, the shorter the travel....thus, higher frequency. Good question. The barrel hollow is the end of the call that I bored out...the exhaust.

Ok, the air channels have been cut on these and drilled them to allow air all the way through. I tested them and 5 of them had to be taken back to the sander and do some work on the tip end.

cowtipbuild5.jpg

Here's an example of a toneboard that is too flat and one too steep.

cowtipbuild6.jpg

The top one is too flat. Very easy to blow, but locks up under pressure, due to not enough arc in the toneboard.

The bottom one can handle a ton of pressure, but due to being so steep, it is hard to blow.

Both of these are going to re-meet the sanding disk and get new toneboard arcs.

I'm recording a couple samples of cottontail -vs- jackrabbit ones now...

Tony

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif sorry asmith forgive me will ya dont mean to try and steal your thunder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif just trying to get some of my own /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
You got it ASmith. There's a fine balance between too steep and too flat. Hit it right, and you get a toneboard that's easy to blow and can handle all the pressure you can put on it. Hit it even better, and you'll get rasp and harmonics (multiple pitches at the same time). To me, that's what makes one call seem to produce over others.

Tony

Quote:
I have a choice of American Idol or Mr T i have made the right choice this too much fun.

You're making me blush! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Believe me, my wife and 4 kids are watching the Idol Gives Back show without me...and their not real happy about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I wanted to watch it, but really need to get these calls done.

Ok....Now that all the toneboards are working, it's time to shape the call on the belt sander. I'm going to give them all an ergonomic fit. You'll see a big difference in them. I've been calling in Texas, quite a few times, and got nickel size blood blisters on my lip from calling from sunset to sunrise for 4 to 7 nights straight. I've learned to design a toneboard that fits right in the mouth. It'll make them alot more comfortable, easier to control, and allow you to hold the call in your mouth, hands-free, while getting down on your scope.

Be right back (10 mins) with some more pictures....

Tony

Tony

Last edited:
This is great stuff, Tony. I am sitting here with the wireless laptop watching you create another masterpiece and watching Idol Gives Back at the same time. Pretty great stuff on both accounts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Tony
does the thickness between the vertical cut on the front of the tone board and where the barrel (bore) start effect the sound ?

you haven't missed anything on Idol Tony, Carrie Underwood just got done singing and she was topless, but ya haven't missed much!

did i miss much while i was away??? had to do hunny do this and hunny do thats for the pregnant wife

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif so when shaping the tone boards its there a certian shape or is it just getting that right feel on the lips where it is comfortable??

Last edited:
Pregnant wife oh buudy feal for ya , nothing as beautiful but can be a challnge good luck not a better time in your life enjoy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Quote:
Tony
does the thickness between the vertical cut on the front of the tone board and where the barrel (bore) start effect the sound ?

Yes. For a raw blasting sound, the shorter the distance the better. For a more mellow sound the longer the distrance. The length and bore size of that area will determine the majority of the backpressure and volume. I design most of my calls with high volume and raw blasting high pitched sound.

Quote:

you haven't missed anything on Idol Tony, Carrie Underwood just got done singing and she was topless, but ya haven't missed much!

That just ain't nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Not, like I haven't imagined it a thousand times, though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tony

oh yeah did i mention shes 7 months the doc wonders why my blood pressure is through the roof /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ok, now they are all shaped and rough sanded. They are starting to look like calls now.

cowtipbuild7.jpg

To answer Mikeymike, I shape them by eye for fit in the mouth. I try to give them a shape like those old Slow Poke chocolate suckers that would kind of melt into a taffy and shape to your mouth when you sucked on them. It just fits right.

Tony

Back