Colorado Coyotes

Do any of you guys know about the coyote population around Gunnison. I have a chance to go hunting there in October and I would really like some info on what to expect population wise and also what type of calls work best in that area. Thanks.

KKKK,Welcome to the P.M. board. Some of our Colorado guys will be right with you . Please hold. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Redfrog

Hey there Kow Kamp Koyote Killer,
Welcome aboard! I think MULE has hunted out that way. I have driven around out there and SEEN dawgs but not hunted them.

Thanks Dawgkilla. We will be hunting near Crescent Butte at a place called Keebler Pass. The guys I am going with said they heard yotes everywhere the last time they were out there. They also had a mountain lion steal a deer ham hanging ten feet in the air. They tracked it in the snow. Said just knowing one was in the area really increased the pucker factor.

4Ks,

Woo Hooo. I love that area. I have never hunted it though. I have however, gone through that area with my wife and kids many times. Lots and Lots of rolling sage covered hills. The looks of mighty fine coyote territory. I have seen some pretty giant Muley bucks taken out of that area too!!!!! I have always wanted to call out there too but just never had the chance. Good Luck and drop an e-mail if you make it any further North.

Loco'

4Ks,

If you're going in October, why not get yourself a buck and bull tag while you're at it. Oh yeah, another thing... I am not sure, but I think (and it can be a very dangerous thing when I think...)I only think, it may be illegal to call coyotes in a public area during big-game season. You ought to check into it. Search here http://wildlife.state.co.us/

This I do know this though, DO NOT be caught on public land during big-game season with a caliber smaller than .243, without your orange on, and without a big-game license. Good Luck!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Loco wrote:
This I do know this though, DO NOT be caught on public land during big-game season with a caliber smaller than .243, without your orange on, and without a big-game license. Good Luck!!!!!

That would be "larger" than. You can be out during big game but want to carry a caliber smaller than .243 if you DON'T have a big game permit. You will want to walk to your stand with an orange vest on and then remove it to call. Don't forget to put it back on to walk out, or you may get shot.

Paul

Thanks guys. I read through the brochures and could find nothing to prevent me from hunting yotes during big game season. You can't carry anything larger than a .23 caliber if you only have a small game license. My .222 will make the trip. I thought about purchasing a elk or mule deer tag but I just don't really care to bring the meat home and worry about CWD. Besides coyotes are what really trip my trigger.

Kow Kamp,

First and foremost listen to Paul's advice about the caliber..and ESPECIALLY that BLAZE orange.

General season hunts here are not the time to camo up and pretend to be a wounded critter.

That said, I have hunted due east and due south of keebler pass. Your best bet for yotes is all that BLM near Gunnison.
My buddy who is a coyote killing machine lives in crested butte. Gets the most in the blm and around almont in winter.
You can find dogs where you are gonna be up in the timber, but I NEVER..and I mean NEVER go coyote hunting in the middle of a bunch of people big game hunting here.

If your gonna do it fine...but PLEASE wear that Blaze at all times. DOW gets pissed at licensed big game hunters who take it off in camp.

Remember 70% of these yahoos who hunt here don't live here and you would be amazed how many things get shot and killed cuz they don't even know what an elk looks like.

Hey when you get to Gunnison, go to the park and check out my statue in the city park. I was born there and word was they want to honor me. hehehhehehehehehehehehehhhehheheheeh

Mule, I'll check out the statue when I get there and let you know what I think. The guys I am going with have been there twice and have seen nobody in the mountains while hunting. This doesn't mean I won't though so blaze orange will be worn. I figure this could be my only chance to see that country so you guys save a few for me. Hey if Gerry Blair can call one in wearing a Santa Claus suit maybe I can find one about half blind trying to commit suicide. Thanks.

Originally posted by Predator Paul:
[qb]Loco wrote:
This I do know this though, DO NOT be caught on public land during big-game season with a caliber smaller than .243, without your orange on, and without a big-game license. Good Luck!!!!!

That would be "larger" than. You can be out during big game but want to carry a caliber smaller than .243

Paul[/qb]
Yiiiikes and OOOOOps, Thank you Predator Paul. That was a doozy! Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, what he said!!!! Don't listen to me, I be tryin' to help, butt I be loco'.

I add to this.........

Gunnison is really the last place you want to be in big game season (above tree line)
What I mean is above where the timber starts. Your best coyote hunting is in the lower sage anyway. I have hunted this area alot and find the open sage below is the best calling. This is also where you WILL NOT find the big game hunters. The elk may winter in that stuff later, but they will up high early.

Again, orange is a muct while moving.

Good luck.

Paul

Thanks for the info guys. I am really looking forward to this trip. If any of you guys limit out early on elk or deer and want to give the coyotes a try during the late season in Oct. come on up to Keebler Pass and look me up. Would love to hunt with or just shoot the breeze with some of you guys.

Paul is right again.

The best dog hunting will be at or below where the trees give way to the sage.

Your on a roll Paul

Kow Kamp,
There is lots of good sage country around where you`re going. Iused to do some 4-wheeling down there some before I took up coyote killing. Would love to get back down there and give it a try. Email me at RDMPLamb@aol.com with more specifics and maybe I can cut loose to hunt with you.

Sorry, Kow Kamp, Been away at boy scout camp with my boys last week, and then trying to get on the computer when they are playing video games is a pain. Seems like they are making up for lost time while at camp. I`m posting this from the computer at work so I`ll check email when I get home tomorrow.

Back