Whats the best muzzleloader bullet for elk?

Dultimatpredator

I am starting to plan for the upcoming season since I just was draw for a Bull tag after five years of trying! I have received excellent groups with 150g of 777 along with the TC 300g Shock waves. The above photo is a 3 shot, one large hole, group at a hundred yards. With the 250g Shock waves I have been getting half inch groups. I have read in the past that for a proper kill on Elk at least 1200 fps of energy is needed. If so this would limit me to 300 yard shots with the 300g projectile. I have harvested Whitetails out to 300 yards with muzzle loaders but wondered if there is enough energy for Elk at this Range. At 200 yards I can hit pop cans on every shot but haven't practiced out further yet. I was given some dead center bullets to try and was told they shoot flatter and have more down range energy than any other muzzle loader bullet on the market. Being all lead I would think they are not going to together as well as the copper jacketed Shock waves if bone is it. I have shot five Whitetails with the 300g shock wave so far. Two in the shoulder and the other three heart and lung shots. They all ran between 40 to 80 yards before expiring, even with broken shoulders. I assume the heavier 300g bullets are designed for larger animals? Anybody have any other suggestions for bullet choices? These were shot out of my TC omega with a 2x7 VX-1. The first image is with 300g Shock waves and 150g of 777. The second photo is the 250g shock waves with 150g of 777. I tried the Hornady line with and with out the quick load tails and they opened the groups up to anywheres from an inch to 2.5". [image][/image] [image][/image]

First thing what bullet you use is determined by which state you hunt Elk in. Colorado doesn't allow sabot, pellet powder or scopes for muzzleloader hunting but do allow Power Belt bullets. The 300 gr would be better in the muzzleloader for elk because bullet weight makes a big difference when using slow moving bullets on big game like elk. If you get the bullet into the lungs the elk won't go far. I would limit my shots to 200 yards because hitting a elk is easy but hitting him in the right spot will make all the difference in taking meat home or losing a wound animal. The distant you can place the bullet in the vitals should be your limit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
The state allows the use saboted bullets.

The 300 gr Hornady SST would be one of the best you could use.

I have shot several deer with TC Shockwaves and Hornady SST 250gr with 100 gr of Pyrodex. A few of them were hit in the shoulder and didn't exit. These bullets blew up before they could exit. If I were going for Elk, I would go with the bonded bullets.

Quote:
I have shot several deer with TC Shockwaves and Hornady SST 250gr with 100 gr of Pyrodex. A few of them were hit in the shoulder and didn't exit. These bullets blew up before they could exit. If I were going for Elk, I would go with the bonded bullets.

Every one of the 300g Shock Waves exited even with the shoulder shots. I think they are either of a harder contruction or the slower velocity causes them not to expand as rapidly.

Knight offers Swift bullets in their sabot packs. They come in 10 packs and are 325 grains for 50 cal muzzys. I see that Knight also offers a new bullet (last summers catalog) its available in 50 cal. only with 250 and 290 gr offerings. They are called Ultimate Slam Series and have poly-tips. I've never tried them, maybe worth a look.

Two years ago I went on a guided muzzleloader hunt in NM for Elk. I was using the 300 gr. Barnes Red Hots in front of 3- 50 gr pyrodex pellets in my Knight Disc Ext. These shot very well, only draw back was trying to load a second shot with out cleaning when using the hi pressure sabots. The other guy that I was hunting with he was using either the 250 gr. Hornady SST or T/C Shock wave (same bullet different colored tip)in front of 2- 50 gr pyro pellets.
He was up to bat on day two of our hunt. We were walking up from the valley through a meadow with a few trees scattered here and there, the guide was in the lead and I was trailing the other guy by a couple yards. All of a sudden he stops and says "Bull", I looked up and sure enough a nice 5X5 stood facing us motionless about 80 yds out. We all got down on a knee and waited for the bull to turn so Randall could get a shot. It took a few minutes of waiting until he slowly turned to unass the area. Randall fired just as he turned and down the bull went. I knew right away he hit the spine as the bull layed there and tried to regain its feet. I fired a coupe de grace at about 8 feet through the lungs with the 300 gr Barnes. Upon inspection we discovered he did in fact shoot high. There was lots of damage to the loins with about 6" (six") of total bullet penetration. It appeared the bullet did not contact any bone on the initial impact but only bullet fragments as the bullet pretty much disinegrated with the largest fragment weighing approx 40 grs (that we found)
The bull that I shot happened on day three. He was approx 50 yds away angling to my left. At the shot he staggered off. I reloaded and waited for the guide then we followed the blood trail over to a ravine about 75 yds from where I first hit him. He was just about to drop when I hit him again. The first bullet traveled from the rib cage all the way to his right hip breaking a 1"+ diameter bone. The bullet performed very well with over 225 grains of retained weight. The second bullet was not recovered.
If your going after a critter that may be a once in a lifetime affair don't skimp on your bullets, a few dollars saved on a box of bullets is peanuts compared to everything else.

I am able to use optics. I have opted for a vx-1 2x7 but don't know if its enough magnification. I do like the idea of the wide field of view. Especially since it sounds like a lot of the shots are normally inside a 100 yards.

Killed a Sambar deer (elk from India) on St. Vincens Island. Weighed a little less than 500#'s.
Used a Thompson Center New Englander, 90 gr. Goexx, 370 gr. Thompson Maxi Ball.
Range approx 80 yds. Entered just in front of right hip, went through washtub sized gut full of vegetation, through heart and was under hide in front of left sholder.
The Maxi Ball has a slight dent in the front.
My hunting pardner used the same gun and load. His Sambar was a good bit larger and his shot went through behind right sholder and exited through last ribs on left. Range 25 yards. Both went right down.
This same load has gone through both sholders of our little whitetails.
All of the other hunters on the Sambar hunt were using Saboted bullets and most had to track and finish their deer with another shot/shots.
If I were going after elk now I would use my newer Omega with 150 gr. of 777 and a very heavy stout bullet. Would go for penatration over expansion.

Quote:
Barnes.......

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Hoggy

I'm not a fan of all copper bullets. I believe you need a bullet that fragments causing better enery transfer. Copper bullets to me are like shooting them with an arrow. It burns right throught the animal killing it. It just involves tracking. I'm a big fan of DRT and am not sold on copper bullets being capable of this task.

I have a friend that has taken a couple of large black bears with a 44 cal 300gn CCI gold dot, we have never recover a bullet (complete pass though), this however was close range, less than 50yrs, If it where me, I think I would look at a solid Maxi ball or a Buffalo bullet 380+ gns these are heavy bullets that may shoot like a rainbow, but that extra mass and a "bigger" hole may make a differance, also if you figure out your drops with the heavy bullets, it should not be a problem.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Back