22 Hornet for Coyotes

gdc23

Im sure this may have popped up before but with the newer powders such as Lil Gun the Hornet can now be handloaded to around 3000 fps with 45 gr hornet bullets, does this make it a viable coyote gun out to 100-150 yards as this is close to .221 fireball velocities. I have some of the discontinued Barnes 40 gr VLC bullets I am going to try in my Kimber hornet.

Thanks
gdc

We have taken 6 coyotes with a Hornet. It's "adequate" under 100 yards. Over that distance is pushing the abilities of the cartridge, in my opinion. Some people will contest that distance, and the ballistics show that the bullet still has adequate energy at even 200 yards, but everyone had to draw their own line in the sand.

Where are you getting data that implies 3000fps with 45gr bullets & Lil Gun? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

It's almost impossible to get much more than 13.5 grains in a case. Hornady shows 13.2gr chasing a 40gr bullet at only 2800. I think trying to get much over 2700-2750 with a 45 grain bullet in a Hornet is being real optimistic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm a big Hornet fan. Own three of them.

However, I don't use them as 'yote rifles. IMO, there just is not enough steam.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
I'm a big Hornet fan. Own three of them.

However, I don't use them as 'yote rifles. IMO, there just is not enough steam.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

There's no doubt that coyotes can be killed using the hornet ..... it happens all the time, as do coyotes, and bigger animals, being killed by a .22 Long Rifle. But, on a less than optimum hit, you are really handicapping yourself by using one. As the range increases, a bad hit becomes more likely due to wind or range estimation errors.

Like Robert Ruark wrote, "Use Enough Gun". And, when the shots get much beyond 100 yards, the Hornet rapidly become less than enough gun for animals the size of coyotes under hunting conditions.

Comparing the hornet to a 22 long rifle is, well, ridiculous. Ive used the 22 hornet for a long time, its among one of my favorites in my calling rifle battery.
It certainly isn't a "hot" 22 centerfire, but is very capable of killing coyotes out to the other side of 100 yards. I always consider it to be a ".223 lite", I shoot Sierra 40 grain soft points on top of AA1680,and get a nominal velocity of around 2,800 fps..certainly enough to kill a called coyote,at called ranges, which is usually between 20-60 yards. Im in agreement it is by no means a long range cartridge, it is what it is, and thats a fine, medium range coyote killing cartridge.

Quote:
Comparing the hornet to a 22 long rifle is, well, ridiculous. Ive used the 22 hornet for a long time, its among one of my favorites in my calling rifle battery.
It certainly isn't a "hot" 22 centerfire, but is very capable of killing coyotes out to the other side of 100 yards. I always consider it to be a ".223 lite", I shoot Sierra 40 grain soft points on top of AA1680,and get a nominal velocity of around 2,800 fps..certainly enough to kill a called coyote,at called ranges, which is usually between 20-60 yards. Im in agreement it is by no means a long range cartridge, it is what it is, and thats a fine, medium range coyote killing cartridge.

I owned two Hornets, both in the TC Contender format. The first was a pistol, the second was the carbine. I shot a lot of ground hogs with the carbine. The performance of the Hornet pistol was unimpressive, to say the least.

But, what made me decide to get rid of the Hornet was a trip I made to southern Ohio groundhog hunting with a buddy who had a Marlin .22 Mag. Up to 100 yards, or so, his rifle seemed to "thump" the hogs just as effectively as did my Hornet, shooting the 45 grain Hornady Hornets.

This was in the days before the Vmax bullets and we found that the soft nosed bullets, at Hornet velocities, would expand to a little over .30 cal on the GH's.

When another friend decided to sell his Rem. 788 in .222 Rem, I couldn't get rid of the Hornet fast enough. LOL Much easier to load for, more accurate, and had a heck of a lot more killing power than the Hornet ...... as, of course, it should, being able to drive the same bullet about 500 fps. faster.

Count me in the Hornet fan club. It works for coyotes at the ranges that called coyotes are normally shot at. If you are calling some unique circumstance where long range shots are needed for some reason than it is probably not the caliber for you.

I bought a new Hornet for my son for Christmas. Being the horrible dad that I am I killed five coyotes with it before he even got to shoot it.

It isn't the best choice for a guy that doesn't get out much and just can't stand the thought of seeing one standing out at 6 bazillion yards without taking a shot at him.

It isn't something I take every time I go, but there are certainly days when I take one for the pure unadulterated enjoyment of it. Because I can and because it works for called coyotes.

I have shot a handfull of coyotes with mine, mostly while calling fox. All were udner 100 yards, all were DRT. This was with a 45 grain Serria hornet bullet, and AA1680.

I haven't shot any coyotes with a Hornet, but did quite a lot of jackal shooting in Namibia with one. Jackals, on the average, are slightly smaller than coyotes. I used the Outfitter's rifle, loaded with 35 gr. V-Max. It was adequate for night-calling distance. I took one at 110 yards with it, and most jackals were shot at between 75 and 100 yards. We did have several runners, however. Heavier bullets might have been better, I'm not sure, but the little 35 grainers still put them down relatively well. Some got into the bush and were never recovered, though certainly died. I also used a 223 and consider it somewhat better.

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with the Hornet as long as distance is limited and with good shot placement.

My Encore with 26 inch barrel clocked a little over 2900 with the 40 gr V-Max and 13 gr's of Lil'Gun. In my Browning A-Bolt i load the same bullet and 12.6 gr's of Lil'Gun but haven't chronographed the rifle and load yet. Do i believe you could kill coyotes at 100 yards with the Hornet , Yes with no problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back 9in the 1960's the Hornet was considered a primere coyote and bob Cat calling gun, by those who made varment calling a sport and not just a passtime. Now with the newer powders avalible that old barrel burner should be getting a new lease on life. Except the 204 and 17's are getting all the attention from the hacks

I always thought the hornet was pretty much a dead issue, with such small case capacity and low velocity compared to most everything else on the market, but it just keeps popping up and being used.

I think my last hornet was in the late 60's and it was mostly used for plinking and some ground squirrel shooting. At the time I also was shooting a 22-250 and a 222 bench rest gun. I always thought the little hornet was hard to load for with the powders available at the time. It was fun to shoot, but I never got a great amount of accuracy from it.

Talk about a cartridge that's hard to kill off.

Count me in the Hornet fan club! It is not my go-to calling rifle, but when I am in an area where my shots are 150 yards and in, it is the first gun I pick up.

Mine is very accurate with 40 gr. Vmaxes and Lil'Gun powder. That particular load is right at 2950 fps. Have shot a few coyotes with it and all have been DRT. Shot placement is important, as with any caliber, and knowing your limitations helps as well.

If you don't try to hot-rod the little round and expect .223 or 22-250 performance with it, it will serve you just fine!

Tim

I have found that running 40 HP at 3000 is not a problem however the brass won't last very long. At calling distance for folks I know, Hornet can get the job done. It all involves the right bullet and well placed shot.

Hi new to the site . Not a expert by any means. But I have killed a few yotes and had a few get away . A 22 K Hornet is all I use anymore. haven't had 1 get away since I started using my K Hornet. I transplanted my self in SW Missouri so don't have too many places to shoot past 300 yrds . Ranchers don't like people/outsiders shooting around their cattle(understandable). 40 gr NBT over 12.7 grs of lil gun produces well over 3200 fps . It's a little hard on a hide if I hit a shoulder Bone. So just my 2 cents 12.7 grs VS 20+grs for a 223 or 40+grs for a 308 is just a lot easier on my wallet. Since I made my Ruger 77 a K it's a surgical weapon & is capable of removing a eyeball at 100 yrds

Welcome to the site!

I'll be the first to say this may be a record for reviving old posts on here, lol.

After reading through them, I was surprised I did not respond back then.

Anyway, since I first bought my Hornet, a Ruger M77 Sporter, I have shot lot's of coyotes with it, usually using a 45gr Barnes XLC over 13.0grs Lilgun, with a MV of 2,850fps+.

I have used 40gr Vmax, Btips and Sierra HP, 45gr and 50gr Softpoints of various manufacturers,and the Barnes X and XLC bullets.

The Barnes X and XLC's kill coyotes noticeably better than any other bullet I've used. When I run out of XLC, I will use the TSX.

My personal limits are about 100yds if facing me, a typical calling scenario, and 175yds, or so, on a broadside shot.

Much beyond those distances and I get more runners and floppers than I can tolerate.

For the most part, I now only use the Hornet for early season or small acreage properties, where I know the shots will be close.

Sorry for the revival of a old post but just had to . Most people don't give the hornet the credit it's do. Most of my shots are at or less than 100 yrds . The furthest on a coyote with my KH is 150yrds head shot running straight at me & of all things running up my shooting range. I mainly set up on the trails in hardwoods out here perfect for the Hornet. I did shoot a small 130 pound white tail buck at the same 150yrd spot on my range with a 40 NBT not my preferred weapon for deer.(My 450 BM Is my deer rifle)but wanted to see what it could do ,it took 3 steps & crumpled. upon field dressing found I hit it in the shoulder no bone contact,nickle size hole in the entrance side of the ribs a fist size hole just above the heart in the 1st lung second lung was not there & the opposite rib had a 22 cal size indent and I could bend the rib from it being cracked by the solid base of the NBT . I have had coyotes get up a run from my AR 223 with a 55 gr tsx & from a 308 with a 165 gr amax. But seems nobody gets up from my Hornet. Like most of us that like the hornet we just gotta know it's limits.

Back